Taken into consideration that molecular and cellular mechanisms involved in cardiotoxicity are still not clear the aim of this study was to compare the production of oxidative stress parameters in the isolated rat heart between animals chronically treated with cisplatin and saline. The hearts of male Wistar albino rats (n = 24, 12 per group, age 8 weeks, body mass 250±50 g) were excised and perfused according to the Langendorff technique at gradually increased coronary perfusion pressures (40-120 cm H2O). We followed the production of superoxide anion radicals, hydrogen peroxide, and nitrites and also index of lipid peroxidation during the changes of coronary perfusion pressure (CPP) (from 40 to 120 cm H2O) in coronary venous effluent. Modifications CPP were performed in order to determined if oxidative stress is involved in coronary endothelium response in conditions of hypoxia (lower than 60 cm H2O) and hyperoxia (higher than 80 cm H2O).
Based on the results of this research we can conclude that with enhancement of CPP the values of oxidative stress statistically increased. However, this increment is more prominent in control group as a result of preserved endothelium and its more powerful response to hyperoxia. On the other hand, damaged endothelium of cisplatin-treated animals had weaker response to hyperoxia, and also lower antioxidant capacity.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Wang D Lippard SJ. Cellular processing of platinum anticancer drugs. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2005; 4:307–20.
2. Rabik CA Dolan ME. Molecular mechanisms of resistance and toxicity associated with platinating agents. Cancer Treat Rev. 2007; 9-23.
3. Giaccone G. Clinical perspectives on platinum resistance. Drugs. 2000; 59: 9-38.
4. Kartalou M Essigmann JM. Mechanisms of resistance to cisplatin. Mutat Res 2001; 478(1-2):23-43.
5. Miller PR Tadagavadi RK Ramesh G Reeves WB. Mechanisms of Cisplatin Nephrotoxicty. Toxins. 2010; 2490-518.
6. Mc Whinney SR Goldberg RM Mc Leod HL. Platinum neurotoxicity pharmacogenetics. Mol Cancer Ther 2009; 10-16.
7. Ding D Allman BL Salvi R. Review: Ototoxic Characteristics of Platinum Antitumor Drugs. Anat Rec (Hoboken) 2012; 1851–67.
8. Herrmann J Yang EH Iliescu CA et al. Vascular Toxicities of Cancer Therapies: The Old and the New-An Evolving Avenue. Circulation. 2016; 133:1272-89.
9. Yeh ETH Tong AT Lenihan DJ et al. Cardiovascular complications of cancer therapy: Diagnosis pathogenesis and management. Circulation. 2004; 109:3122–31.
10. Pai VB Nahata MC. Cardiotoxicity of chemotherapeutic agents: incidence treatment and prevention. Drug Saf. 2000; 22:263-302.
11. Chirino YI Pedraza-Chaverri J. Role of oxidative and nitrosative stress in cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity. Exp Toxicol Pathol. 2009; 61(3):223-42.
12. Ma H Jones KR Guo R Xu P Shan Y Ran J. Cisplatin compromises myocardial contractile function and mitochondrial ultrastructure: role of endoplasmic reticulum stress. Clin. Exp. Pharmacol. Physiol. 2010; 460-5.
13. Kawai Y Nakao T Kunimura N Kohda Y Gemba M. Relationship of intracellular calcium and oxygen radicals to Cisplatin-related renal cell injury. J Pharmacol Sci. 2006; 100(1):65-72.
14. Yao X Panichpisal K Kurtzman N Nugent K. Cisplatin nephrotoxicity: a review. Am J Med Sci. 2007; 334(2):115-24.
15. Ohkawa H Ohishi N Yagi K. Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anal Biochem. 1979; 351-8.
16. Green LC Wagner DA Glogowski J Skipper PL Wishnok JS Tannenbaum SR. Analysis of nitrate nitrite and [15N] nitrate in biological fluids. Anal Biochem 1982; 131-8.
17. Auclair C Voisin E. Nitroblue tetrazolium reduction. In: Greenvvald Ra Hadnbook of methods for oxygen radical research. CRC Press Une Boca Raton 1985; 123-32.
18. Pick E Keisari Y. A simple colorimetric method for the measurement of hydrogen peroxide produced by cells in culture. J immunol Methods 1980; 161-70.
19. Yilmaz HR Iraz M Sogut S et al. The effects of erdosteine on the activities of some metabolic enzymes during cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Pharmacol Res. 2004; 50(3):287-90.
20. Davis CA Nick HS Agarwal A. Manganese superoxide dismutase attenuates Cisplatin-induced renal injury: importance of superoxide. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2001; 12(12):2683-90.
21. Kadikoylu G Bolaman Z Demir S Balkaya M Akalin N Enli Y. The effects of desferrioxamine on cisplatininduced lipid peroxidation and the activities of antioxidant enzymes in rat kidneys. Hum Exp Toxicol. 2004; 23(1):29-34.
22. Chirino YI Hernández-Pando R Pedraza-Chaverrí J. Peroxynitrite decomposition catalyst ameliorates renal damage and protein nitration in cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. BMC Pharmacol. 2004; 4:20-9.
23. Yildirim Z Sogut S Odaci E et al. Oral erdosteine administration attenuates cisplatin-induced renal tubular damage in rats. Pharmacol Res. 2003; 47(2):149-56.
24. El-Awady el-SE Moustafa YM Abo-Elmatty DM Radwan A. Cisplatin-induced cardiotoxicity: Mechanisms and cardioprotective strategies. Eur J Pharmacol. 2011; 650:335-41.
25. El-Sawalhi MM Ahmed LA. Exploring the protective role of apocynin a specific NADPH oxidase inhibitor in cisplatin-induced cardiotoxicity in rats. Chem Biol Interact. 2014; 207:58-66.
26. Chowdhury S Sinha K Banerjee S Sil PC. Taurine protects cisplatin induced cardiotoxicity by modulating inflammatory and endoplasmic reticulum stress responses. Biofactors. 2016; 42(6):647-64.
27. Rosic G Selakovic D Joksimovic J et al. The effects of Nacetylcysteine on cisplatin-induced changes of cardiodynamic parameters within coronary autoregulation range in isolated rat hearts. Toxicol Lett. 2016; 242:34-46.
28. Francescato HD Costa RS Scavone C Coimbra TM Parthenolide reduces cisplatin-induced renal damage. Toxicology. 2007; 230:64–75.
29. Wang R P Yao Q Xiao Y B et al. Toll-like receptor 4/nuclear factor-kappa B pathway is involved in myocardial injury in a rat chronic stress model. Stress. 2011; 14:567–75.
30. Hussein A Ahmed AA Shouman SA Sharawy S. Ameliorating effect of DL-α-lipoic acid against cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity and cardiotoxicity in experimental animals. Drug Discov Ther. 2012; 6(3):147-56.
31. Badary OA Abdel-Maksoud S Ahmed WA Owieda GH. Naringenin attenuates cisplatin nephrotoxicity in rats. Life Sci. 2005; 76(18):2125-35.
32. Olson RD Boerth RC Gerber JG Nies AS. Mechanism of adriamycin cardiotoxicity: evidence for oxidative stress. Life Sci. 1981; 29(14):1393-401.
33. Hanigan MH Devarajan P. Cisplatin nephrotoxicity: molecular mechanisms. Cancer Ther. 2003; 1:47-61.
34. Kim HJ Lee JH Kim SJ et al. Roles of NADPH oxidases in cisplatin-induced reactive oxygen species generation and ototoxicity. J Neurosci. 2010; 30(11):3933-46.