The immunoreactivity of haemagglutinin (HA) polypeptides of equine influenza virus was compared among the strains isolated in Poland, using H3 monoclonal antibody. A stronger signal in immunoblot reaction was observed for A/equi/Pulawy/2008 HA polypeptides compared to A/equi/Pulawy/2006, despite the fact that both strains are phylogenetically closely related and belong to Florida clade 2 of American lineage. The strongest signal, observed in the case of A/equi/Pulawy/2008, seemed to be connected with the presence of G135, I213, E379, and/or V530 instead of R135, M213, G379, and I530 present in A/equi/Pulawy/2006 HA sequence. This implies that point mutations within amino acid sequences of HA polypeptides of equine influenza virus may change their immunoreactivity even when they are not located within five basic antigenic sites.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Endo A., Pecoraro R., Sugita S., Nerome K.: Evolutionary pattern of the H 3 haemagglutinin of equine influenza viruses: multiple evolutionary lineages and frozen replication. Arch Virol 1992, 123, 73-87.
2. Kwasnik M., Rozek W., Zmudzinski J.F.: Different patterns of multiplication of equine influenza virus serotypes H7N7 and H3N8 in chicken embryo. Bull Vet Inst Pulawy 2011, 55, 575-579.
3. Lewis N.S., Daly J.M., Russell C.A., Horton D.L., Skepner E., Bryant N.A., Burke D.F., Rash A.S., Wood J.L., Chambers T.M., Fouchier R.A., Mumford J.A., Elton D.M., Smith D.J.: Antigenic and genetic evolution of equine influenza A (H3N8) virus from 1968 to 2007. J Virol 2011, 85, 12742-12749.
4. Rozek W., Polak M.P., Zmudzinski J.F.: Evaluation of immunological status of horses against influenza virus based on the presence of antibodies against NS1 and M1 proteins. Bull Vet Inst Pulawy 2003, 47, 315-324.
5. Rozek W., Purzycka M., Polak M.P., Gradzki Z., Zmudzinski J.F.: Genetic typing of equine influenza virus isolated in Poland in 2005 and 2006. Virus Res 2009, 145, 121-126.