Trigeneration or Combined Cooling, Heat and Power (CCHP) which is based upon combined heat and power (CHP) systems coupled to an absorption chiller can be recognized as one of the best technologies recovering biomass effectively to heat, cooling and power. Co-gasification of the lignite and biomass can provide the possibility for safe and effective disposal of different waste types as well as for sustainable and environmentally-friendly production of energy. In this article, a trigeneration system based on an IC engine and gasifier reactor has been simulated and realized using Thermoflex simulation software. Performance results suggest that utilization of sustainably-grown biomass in a Tri-Generation Power Plant (TGPP) can be a possibility for providing cooling, heat and power demands with local renewable sources and reducing the environmental impacts of the energy conversion systems.
1. McIlveen-Wright, D. R., Huang, Y., Rezvani, S., Mondol, J. D., Redpath, D., Anderson, M., Hewitt, N. J., Williams, B. C. A technoeconomic assessment of the reduction of carbon dioxide emissions through the use of biomass co-combustion, Fuel, 2011, No. 90, pp. 24-32.
2. Baxter, L., Koppejan, J. Co-combustion of biomass and coal, Euroheat and Power (English Edition), 2004, No. 1, pp. 34-39.
3. Haykırı-Acma, H. Combustion characteristics of different biomass materials, Energy Conversion and Management, 2003, No. 44, pp. 155-162. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0196-8904(01)00200-X
4. Yamamoto, K. Biomass power generation by CFB boiler, NKK Technical Review, 2001, No. 85.
5. Lin, L., Wang, Y., Al-Shemmeri, T., Zeng, S., Huang, J., He, Y., Huang, X., Li, S., Yang, J. Characteristics of a diffusion absorption refrigerator driven by the waste heat from engine exhaust”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part E, Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering, 2006, No. 220, pp. 139-149.
6. Wang, Y. D., et. al. An experimental investigation of a household size trigeneration, Journal of Applied Thermal Engineering, (2007). 27, pp. 576-585. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2006.05.031
7. Lin, L., Wang, Y., Al-Shemmeri, T., Ruxton, T., Turner, S., Zeng, S., Huang, J., He, Y., Huang, X. Energy efficiency and economic feasibility of CCHP driven by sterling engine, Energy Conversion and Management, 2004, No. 45, pp. 1433-1442.
8. Temir, G., Bilge, D. Thermoeconomic analysis of a trigeneration system, Applied Thermal Engineering, 2004, No. 24, pp. 2689-2699. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2004.03.014
9. Calva, E. T., Núñez, M. P., Toral, M. A. R. Thermal integration of trigeneration systems, Applied Thermal Engineering, 2005, No. 25, pp. 973-984. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2004.06.022
10. Rong, A., Lahdelma, R. An efficient linear programming model and optimization algorithm for trigeneration, Applied Energy, 2005, No. 82, pp. 40-63. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2004.07.013
11. Ziher, D., Poredos, A. Economics of a trigeneration system in a hospital, Applied Thermal Engineering, 2006, No. 26, pp. 680-687. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2005.09.007
12. Temir, G., Bilge, D., Emanet, G. An application of trigeneration and its economic analysis, Energy Sources, 2004, No. 26, pp. 857-867. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00908310490465894
13. Yaodong, W., Ye, H., Anthony, P., Yulong, D., Neil, H. Trigeneration running with raw jatropha oil, Fuel Processing Technology, 2010, No. 91, pp. 348-353.
14. Suamir, I., Tassou, S. A. Performance evaluation of integrated trigeneration and CO2 refrigeration systems, Applied Thermal Engineering, 2012, No. 11, pp. 1-9.
15. Eicker, U. Biomass trigeneration with decentral cooling by distric heating networks, Proceedings of 2nd Polygeneration conference, Tarragona, 2011.
16. Bruno, J. C., Ortega-López, V., Coronas, A. Integration of absorption cooling systems into micro gas turbine trigeneration systems using biogas: Case study of a sewage treatment plant, Applied Energy, 2009 No. 86, pp. 837-847. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2008.08.007
17. Huang, Y., Wang, Y. D., Rezvani, S., McIlveen-Wright, D. R., Anderson, M., Hewitt, N. J. Biomass fuelled trigeneration system in selected buildings, Energy Conversion and Management, 2011, No. 52, pp. 2448-2454. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2010.12.053
18. Lai, S. M., Hui, C. W. Feasibility and flexibility for a trigeneration system, Energy 2009, No. 34, pp. 1693-1704. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2009.04.024
19. Thermoflow (2008) Thermoflex, “Version 18, Thermoflow Inc., 29 Hudson Road Sudbury. MA 01776, USA.
20. Kaygusuz, K., Turker, M. F. Biomass energy potential in Turkey, Renewable Energy, 2002, No. 26, pp. 661-678. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0960-1481(01)00154-9
21. Balat, M. Use of biomass sources for energy in Turkey and a view to biomass potential, Biomass and Bioenergy, 2005, No. 29, pp. 32-41. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2005.02.004
22. Demirbas, A. Importance of biomass energy sources for Turkey, Energy Policy, 2008, No. 36, pp. 834-842. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2007.11.005
23. Munasinghe, P. C., Khanal, S. K. Biomass-derived syngas fermentation into biofuels: Opportunities and challenges, Bioresource Technology, 2010, No. 101, pp. 5013-5022. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2009.12.098