Introduction: Quercetin is a polyphenolic flavonoid which has been used in traditional Chinese medicine as a natural therapeutic agent with a broad spectrum of activities (antioxidant, anticancer, neuroprotective, anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antibacterial). The aim of this study was to develop and validate a rapid and simple ultra-high-performance liquid chromatography with tandem mass spectrometry (UHPLC-MS/MS) method for the determination of quercetin in milk.
Material and Methods: Sample preparation was based on a liquid-liquid extraction with 0.5% formic acid in acetonitrile. The chromatographic separation was performed on a ZORBAX SB-C18 column with methanol and 0.5% formic acid as a mobile phase.
Results: The procedure was successfully validated. The mean recovery of the analyte was 98%, with the corresponding intra- and inter-day variation less than 10% and 15%, respectively, and the repeatability and reproducibility were in the range of 3%–7.2% and 6.1%–12%, respectively. The lowest level of quantification was 1.0 μg/kg.
Conclusion: The proposed method was successfully applied in evaluating the pharmacokinetics of quercetin in milk obtained from dairy cows with clinical mastitis after intramammary administration.
1. de Boer V.C., Dihal A.A., van der Woude H., Arts I.C., Wolffram S., Alink G.M., Rietjens I.M., Keijer J., Hollman P.C.: Tissue distribution of quercetin in rats and pigs. J Nutrit 2005, 135, 1718–1725.
2. Chang L., Ren Y., Cao L., Sun Y., Sun Q., Sheng N., Yuan L., Zhi X., Zhang L.: Simultaneous determination and pharmacokinetic study of six flavonoids from Fructus Sophorae extract in rat plasma by LC–MS/MS. J Chrom B 2012, 904, 59–64.
3. Coppin J.P., Xua Y., Chena H., Pan M.H., Hoc Ch.T., Juliani R., Simon J.E., Wu Q.: Determination of flavonoids by LC/MS and anti-inflammatory activity in Moringa oleifera. J. Funct. Foods 2013, 5, 1892–1899.
4. Cushnie T.P.T., Lamb A.J.: Antimicrobial activity of flavonoids. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2005, 26, 343–356.
5. Erlund I., Kosonen T., Alfthan G., Mäenpää J., Perttunen K., Kenraali J., Parantainen J., Aro A.: Pharmacokinetics of quercetin from quercetin aglycone and rutin in healthy volunteers. European J Clin Pharm 2000, 56, 545–553.
7. He J., Feng Y., Ouyang H.Z., Yu B., Chang Y.X., Pan G.X., Dong G.Y., Wang T., Gao X.M.: A sensitive LC–MS/MS method for simultaneous determination of six flavonoids in rat plasma: application to a pharmacokinetic study of total flavonoids from mulberry leaves. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2013, 84, 189–195
8. Jaisinghani R.N.: Antibacterial properties of quercetin. Microbiol Res 2017, 8, 6877.
9. Kumar D., Verma P.R.P., Singh. S.K., Viswanathan S.: LC-ESI-MS/MS analysis of quercetin in rat plasma after oral administration of biodegradable nanoparticles Biomed Chromatogr 2015, 29, 1731–1736.
10. Raote A., Jangid A., Tale R.: Liquid chromatography - tandem mass spectrometric method for simultaneous determination of rutin and quercetin from leaves of artocarpus lakoocha roxb. Int J Pharm Biol Sci 2011, 2, 848–853
11. Woźnicka E., Kuźniar A., Nowak D., Nykiel E., Kopacz M., Gruszecka J., Golec K.: Comparative study of the antibacterial activity of some flavonoids and sulfonic derivatives. Pol Pharm Society 2013, 70, 567–571.