Introduction: The aim of this study was to evaluate the dependence between ejaculate traits, sperm morphology, and ejaculate volume in Duroc boars.
Material and Methods: The analysis involved 121 ejaculates collected from 12 Duroc boars kept in three artificial insemination centres located in central Poland. Ejaculates were collected manually at one-month intervals, over a period of 10 months. At least 10 ejaculates were collected from each boar. The material was divided by ejaculate volume and each ejaculate was assigned to one of three volume groups: 160 mL and lower, 161–200 mL, and 201 mL and higher. The ejaculates were assessed to identify the basic physical traits and determine the incidence of morphological abnormalities in the spermatozoa, specifying major and minor abnormalities. Furthermore, the morphological structure indices for the spermatozoa were also calculated.
Results: In large-volume ejaculates, spermatozoa were more elongated in shape, their heads were more elongated and had the largest flagella. With an increase in the ejaculate volume, sperm concentration in the ejaculate decreased. Moreover, while the total number of sperm in the ejaculate increased, the number of insemination doses obtained from a single ejaculate were higher.
Conclusion: The volume of ejaculate has little impact on the occurrence of morphological abnormalities and the size of sperm cells. Ejaculate volume is important for the shape of the sperm cells.
1. Blom E.: Studies on seminal vesiculitis in the bull: II. Proposal for a new classification of the spermiogram, Med Weter 1981, 37, 239–242.
2. Deka D., Goswami R.N., Mili D.C., Nath D.R.: Effect of age of the sow and boar on reproduction performance. Indian Vet J 2002, 79, 615–616.
3. Fitzpatrick J.L., Lüpold S.: Sexual selection and the evolution of sperm quality. Mol Hum Reprod 2014, 20, 1180–1189.
4. Gil M.C., García-Herreros M., Barón F.J., Aparicio I.M., Santos A.J., García-Marín L.J.: Morphometry of porcine spermatozoa and its functional significance in relation with the motility parameters in fresh semen. Theriogenology 2009, 71, 254–263.
5. Górski K., Kondracki S., Wysokińska A., Nazaruk A.: The importance of ejaculate volume for the physical parameters of ejaculates and sperm morphology of Hypor boars. Kafkas Univ Vet Fak Derg 2016, 22, 493–501.
6. Helfenstein F., Podevin M., Richner H.: Sperm morphology, swimming velocity, and longevity in the house sparrow Passer domesticus. Behav Ecol Sociobiol 2010, 64, 557–565.
7. Hirai M., Boersma A., Hoeflich A., Wolf E., Föll J., Aumüller R., Braun A.J.: Objectively measured sperm motility and sperm head morphometry in boars (Sus scrofa): Relation to fertility and seminal plasma growth factors. J Androl 2001, 22, 104–110.
8. Humphries S., Evans J.P., Simmons L.W.: Sperm competition: linking form and function. BMC Evol Biol 2008, 8, 319–329.
9. King G.J., Macpherson J.W.: A comparison of two methods for boar semen collection. J Anim Sci 1973, 36, 563–565.
10. Kondracki S., Banaszewska D., Bajena M., Komorowska K., Kowalewski D.: Correlation of frequency of spermatozoa morphological alterations with sperm concentration in ejaculates of Polish Landrace boars. Acta Vet Beograd 2013, 63, 513–524.
11. Kondracki S., Banaszewska D., Mielnicka C.: The effect of age on the morphometric sperm traits of domestic pigs. Cell Mol Biol Lett 2005, 10, 3–13.
12. Kondracki S., Banaszewska D., Wysokińska A., Sadowska A.: Ejaculate traits and spermatozoa morphology as related to spermatozoa concentration in ejaculates of Polish Large White boars. Anim Sci Pap Rep 2006, 24, 111–119.
13. Kondracki S., Górski K., Wysokińska A., Jóźwik I.: Correlation of ejaculate parameters and sperm morphology with the ejaculate volume of Pietrain boars. Bulg J Agric Sci 2014, 20, 721–727.
14. Kondracki S., Iwanina M., Wysokińska A., Górski K.: The use of sexual activity measurements to assess ejaculatory performance of boars. Arch Tierzucht 2013, 56, 1052–1059.
15. Kondracki S., Wysokińska A., Iwanina M., Banaszewska D., Sitarz D.: Effect of sperm concentration in an ejaculate on morphometric traits of spermatozoa in Duroc boars. Pol J Vet Sci 2011, 14, 35–40.
16. Kowalewski D., Kondracki S., Górski K., Bajena M., Wysokińska A.: Effect of piggery microclimate on ejaculate performance of artificial insemination boars. Kafkas Univ Vet Fak Derg 2016, 22, 225–232.
17. Łącka K., Kondracki S., Iwanina M., Wysokińska A.: Assessment of stallion semen morphology using two different staining methods, microscopic techniques, and sample sizes. J Vet Res 2016, 60, 99–104.
18. Malo A.F., Gomendio M., Garde J., Lang-Lenton B., Soler A.J., Roldan E.R.S.: Sperm design and function. Biol Lett 2006, 22, 246–249.
19. Maroto-Morales A., Ramon M., Garcia-Alvarez O., Soler A.J., Esteso M.C., Martinez-Pastor F., Perez-Guzman M.D., Garde J.J.: Characterization of ram (Ovis aries) sperm head morphometry using the Sperm-Class Analyzer. Theriogenology 2010, 73, 437–448.
20. Noorafshan A., Karbalay-Doust S.: A simple method for unbiased estimating of ejaculated sperm tail length in subject with normal and abnormal sperm motility. Micron 2010, 41, 95–99.
21. Ordinance of the Polish Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development. Journal of Laws, No. 56, item 344, 15 February 2010. www.isap.sejm.gov.pl, Accessed: 08.04.2010.
22. Park C.S., Yi Y.J.: Comparison of semen characteristics, sperm freezability and testosterone concentration between Duroc and Yorkshire boars during seasons. Anim Reprod Sci 2002, 73, 53–61.
23. Saravia F., Nunez-Martinez I., Moran J.M., Soler C., Muriel A., Rodriguez-Martinez H., Pena F.J.: Differences in boar sperm head shape and dimensions recorded by computer-assisted sperm morphometry are not related to chromatin integrity. Theriogenology 2007, 68, 196–203.
24. Severa L., Machal L., Svabova L., Mamica O.: Evaluation of shape variability of stallion sperm heads by means of image analysis and Fourier descriptors. Anim Reprod Sci 2010, 119, 50–55.
25. Smital J., De Sousa L.L., Mohsen A.: Differences among breeds and manifestation of heterosis in AI boar sperm output. Anim Reprod Sci 2004, 80, 121–130.
26. Smital J., Wolf J., De Sousa L.L.: Estimation of genetic parameters of semen characteristics and reproductive traits in AI boars. Anim Reprod Sci 2005, 86, 119–130.
27. Thurston L.M., Watson P.F., Mileham A.J., Holt W.V.: Morphologically distinct sperm subpopulations defined by Fourier Shape Descriptors in fresh ejaculates correlate with variation in boar semen quality following cryopreservation. J Androl 2001, 22, 382–394.
28. Waberski D., Magnus F., Ardon F., Petrunkina A.M., Weitzke K.F., Töpfer-Petersen E.: Binding of boar spermatozoa to oviductal epithelium in vitro in relation to sperm morphology and storage time. Reproduction 2006, 131, 311–318.
29. Wolf J.: Genetic parameters for semen traits in AI boars estimated from data on individual ejaculates. Reprod Domest Anim 2009, 44, 338–344.
30. Wysokińska A., Kondracki S.: Assessment of sexual activity levels and their association with ejaculate parameters in two-breed hybrids and purebred Duroc and Pietrain boars. Ann Anim Sci 2014, 14, 559–571.