The current practice in the field of forensic medicine imposes the use of modern investigation techniques. The complexity of laboratory investigation methods needed for a final result of the investigation in forensic medicine needed new biomarkers of higher specificity and selectivity. Such biomarkers are the microRNAs (miRNAs), short, non-coding RNAs composed of 19–24 nucleotides. Their characteristics, such as high stability, selectivity, and specificity for biological fluids, differ from tissue to tissue and for certain pathologies, turning them into the ideal candidate for laboratory techniques used in forensic medicine. In this paper, we wish to highlight the biochemical properties and the usefulness of miRNAs in forensic medicine.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Hanson EK, Lubenow H, Ballantyne J. Identification of forensically relevant body fluids using a panel of differentially expressed microRNAs. Anal Biochem. 2009;387:303-314.
2. Verduijn R. Recent Developments in Forensic Biology. BSc Biol. 2010.
3. Petersen CH, Hjort BB, Tvedebrink T, Kielpinski LJ, Vinther J, Morling N. Body fluid identification of blood, saliva and semen using second generation sequencing of micro-RNA. Forensic Sci Int Genet Suppl Ser. 2013;4:e204-e205.
4. Wang Z, Zhang J, Luo H, Ye Y, Yan J, Hou Y. Screening and confirmation of microRNA markers for forensic body fluid identification. Forensic Sci Int Genet. 2013;7:116-123.
5. Meng L, Chen L, Li Z, Wu Z-X, Shan G. Roles of microRNAs in the Caenorhabditis elegans nervous system. J Genet Genomics. 2013;40:445-452.
6. Zubakov D, Boersma AWM, Choi Y, Van Kuijk PF, Wiemer EC, Kayser M. MicroRNA markers for forensic body fluid identification obtained from microarray screening and quantitative RT-PCR confirmation. Int J Legal Med. 2010;124:217-226.
7. Wang Z, Luo H, Pan X, Liao M, Hou Y. A model for data analysis of microRNA expression in forensic body fluid identification. Forensic Sci Int Genet. 2012;6:419-423.
8. Meng S, Cao JT, Zhang B, Zhou Q, Shen CX, Wang CQ. Downregulation of microRNA-126 in endothelial progenitor cells from diabetes patients, impairs their functional properties, via target gene Spred-1. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2012;53:64-72.
9. Guo HQ, Huang GL, Guo CC, Pu XX, Lin TY. Diagnostic and prognostic value of circulating miR-221 for extranodal natural killer/T-cell lymphoma. Dis Markers. 2010;29:251-258.
10. Deng H, Guo Y, Song H, et al. MicroRNA-195 and microRNA-378 mediate tumor growth suppression by epigenetical regulation in gastric cancer. Gene. 2013;518:351-359.
11. Uhlich RM, Konie JA, Davis JW, et al. Novel microRNA correlations in the severely injured. Surgery. 2014;156:834-840.
12. Liu T, Cheng W, Gao Y, Wang H, Liu Z. Microarray analysis of microRNA expression patterns in the semen of infertile men with semen abnormalities. Mol Med Rep. 2012;6:535-542.
13. Chen W, Harbeck MC, Zhang W, Jacobson JR. MicroRNA regulation of integrins. Transl Res. 2013;162:133-143.
14. Abdelmohsen K, Srikantan S, Kang MJ, Gorospe M. Regulation of senescence by microRNA biogenesis factors. Ageing Res Rev. 2012;11:491-500.
15. Westholm JO, Lai EC. Mirtrons: microRNA biogenesis via splicing. Biochimie. 2011;93:1897-1904.
16. Von Brandenstein M, Richter C, Fries JWU. MicroRNAs: Small but amazing, and their association with endothelin. Life Sci. 2012;91:475-489.
17. Yi R, Qin Y, Macara IG, Cullen BR. Exportin-5 mediates the nuclear export of pre-microRNAs and short hairpin RNAs Exportin-5 mediates the nuclear export of pre-microRNAs and short hairpin RNAs. Genes Dev. 2003;17:3011-3016.
18. Cheng G. Circulating miRNAs: roles in cancer diagnosis, prognosis and therapy. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2015;81:75-93.
19. Andersen HH, Duroux M, Gazerani P. MicroRNAs as modulators and biomarkers of inflammatory and neuropathic pain conditions. Neurobiol Dis. 2014;71:159-168.
20. Weilner S, Schraml E, Redl H, Grillari-Voglauer R, Grillari J. Secretion of microvesicular miRNAs in cellular and organismal aging. Exp Gerontol. 2013;48:626-633.
21. Rana S, Malinowska K, Zöller M. Exosomal tumor microRNA modulates premetastatic organ cells. Neoplasia. 2013;15:281-295.
22. Dumache R, Rogobete AF, Bedreag OH, et al. Use of miRNAs as biomarkers in sepsis. Anal Cell Pathol (Amst). 2015;2015:186716.
23. Weber J, Baxter DH, Zhang S, et al. The MicroRNA Spectrum in 12 Body Fluids. Clin Chem. 2010;56:1733-1741.
24. Hanson E, Lubenow H, Ballantyne J. Identification of forensically relevant body fluids using a panel of differentially expressed microRNAs. Forensic Sci Int Genet Suppl Ser. 2009;2:503-504.
25. Williams G, Uchimoto ML, Coult N, World D, Beasley E, Avenell P. Characterisation of body fluid specific microRNA markers by capillary electrophoresis. Forensic Sci Int Genet Suppl Ser. 2013;4:e274-e275.
26. Kuner R, Brase JC, Sültmann H, Wuttig D: microRNA biomarkers in body fluids of prostate cancer patients. Methods. 2013;59:132-137.
27. Gilad S, Meiri E, Yogev Y, et al. Serum microRNAs are promising novel biomarkers. PLoS One. 2008;3:1-7.
28. Roth C, Rack B, Müller V, Janni W, Pantel K, Schwarzenbach H. Circulating microRNAs as blood-based markers for patients with primary and metastatic breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res. 2010;12:R90.
29. Guo Z, Maki M, Ding R, Yang Y, Zhang B, Xiong L. Genome-wide survey of tissue-specific microRNA and transcription factor regulatory networks in 12 tissues. Sci Rep. 2014;4.
30. Sood P, Krek A, Zavolan M, Macino G, Rajewsky N. Cell-type-specific signatures of microRNAs on target mRNA expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2006;103:2746-2751.
31. Bloomston M, WL F, Petrocca F, et al. MicroRNA expression patterns to differentiate pancreatic adenocarcinoma from normal pancreas and chronic pancreatitis. JAMA. 2007;297:1901-1908.
32. Tsai HL, Yang IP, Huang CW, et al. Clinical significance of microRNA-148a in patients with early relapse of stage II stage and III colorectal cancer after curative resection. Transl Res. 2013;162:258-268.
33. Harraz MM, Dawson TM, Dawson VL. MicroRNAs in Parkinson’s disease. J Chem Neuroanat. 2011;42:127-130.
34. Papurica M, Rogobete AF, Sandesc D, et al. Advances in Biomarkers in Critical Ill Polytrauma Patients. Clin Lab. 2016;62:977-986.
35. Jones K, Nourse JP, Keane C, Bhatnagar A, Gandhi MK. Plasma microRNA are disease response biomarkers in classical hodgkin lymphoma. Clinical Cancer Research. 2014;20:253-264.
36. Yang X, Salminen WF, Shi Q, et al. Potential of extracellular microRNAs as biomarkers of acetaminophen toxicity in children. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2015;284:180-187.
37. Wang F, Li C, Liu W, Jin Y. Effect of exposure to volatile organic compounds (VOCs) on airway inflammatory response in mice. J Toxicol Sci. 2012;37:739-748.
38. Cao Y, Yu SL, Wang Y, Guo GY, Ding Q, An RH. MicroRNA-dependent regulation of PTEN after arsenic trioxide treatment in bladder cancer cell line T24. Tumor Biol. 2011;32:179-188.
39. Bollati V, Marinelli B, Apostoli P, et al. Exposure to metal-rich particulate matter modifies the expression of candidate MicroRNAs in peripheral blood leukocytes. Environ Health Perspect. 2010;118:763-768.
40. Avissar-Whiting M, Veiga KR, et al. Bisphenol A exposure leads to specific microRNA alterations in placental cells. Reprod Toxicol. 2010;29:401-406.
41. Singh NP, Singh UP, Guan H, Nagarkatti P, Nagarkatti M. Prenatal Exposure to TCDD Triggers Significant Modulation of microRNA Expression Profile in the Thymus That Affects Consequent Gene Expression. PLoS One. 2012;7:e45054.
42. Liu R, Zhang C, Hu Z, et al. A five-microRNA signature identified from genome-wide serum microRNA expression profiling serves as a fingerprint for gastric cancer diagnosis. Eur J Cancer. 2011;47:784-791.
43. Zhang X, Cui L, Ye G, et al. Gastric juice microRNA-421 is a new biomarker for screening gastric cancer. Tumor Biol. 2012;33:2349-2355.
44. Song MY, Pan KF, Su HJ, et al. Identification of serum microRNAs as novel non-invasive biomarkers for early detection of gastric cancer. PLoS One. 2012;7:1-9.
45. Huang Z, Huang D, Ni S, Peng Z, Sheng W, Du X. Plasma microRNAs are promising novel biomarkers for early detection of colorectal cancer. Int J Cancer. 2010;127:118-126.
46. Zhu C, Tsao M. Prognostic markers in lung cancer: is it ready for prime time? Transl Lung Cancer Res. 2014;3:149-158.
47. Wang P, Yang D, Zhang H, et al. Early Detection of Lung Cancer in Serum by a Panel of MicroRNA Biomarkers. Clin Lung Cancer. 2014;16:313-319. e1
48. Rehbein G, Schmidt B, Fleischhacker M. Extracellular microRNAs in bronchoalveolar lavage samples from patients with lung diseases as predictors for lung cancer. Clin Chim Acta. 2015;450:78-82.
49. Powrózek T, Krawczyk P, Kowalski DM, Winiarczyk K, Olszyna-Serementa M, Milanowski J. Plasma circulating microRNA-944 and microRNA-3662 as potential histologic type-specific early lung cancer biomarkers. Transl Res. 2015;166:315-323.
50. Zhou J, Yu L, Gao X, et al. Plasma MicroRNA Panel to Diagnose Hepatitis B Virus–Related Hepatocellular Carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2011;29:4781-4788.
51. Vincent L, Vang D, Nguyen J, et al. Mast cell activation contributes to sickle cell pathobiology and pain in mice. Blood. 2013;122:1853-1862.
52. Mitchell PS, Parkin RK, Kroh EM, et al. Circulating microRNAs as stable blood-based markers for cancer detection. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2008;105:10513-10518.
53. Redova M, Sana J, Slaby O. Circulating miRNAs as new blood-based biomarkers for solid cancers. Futur Oncol. 2013;9:387-402.
54. Lavie L, Lavie P. Molecular mechanisms of cardiovascular disease in OSAHS: The oxidative stress link. Eur Respir J. 2009;33:1467-1484.
55. Fichtlscherer S, De Rosa S, Fox H, et al. Circulating microRNAs in patients with coronary artery disease. Circ Res. 2010;107:677-684.
56. Weber M, Baker MB, Patel RS, Quyyumi AA, Bao G, Searles CD. MicroRNA Expression Profile in CAD Patients and the Impact of ACEI/ARB. Card Res Pract. 2011;2011:532915.
57. Cheng Y, Tan N, Yang J, et al. A translational study of circulating cell-free microRNA-1 in acute myocardial infarction. Clin Sci (Lond). 2010;119:87-95.
58. Ai J, Zhang R, Li Y, et al. Circulating microRNA-1 as a potential novel biomarker for acute myocardial infarction. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;391:73-77.
59. Olivieri F, Antonicelli R, Lorenzi M, et al. Diagnostic potential of circulating miR-499-5p in elderly patients with acute non ST-elevation myocardial infarction. Int J Cardiol. 2013;167:531-536.
60. Cogswell JP, Ward J, Taylor IA, et al. Identification of miRNA changes in Alzheimer’s disease brain and CSF yields putative biomarkers and insights into disease pathways. J Alzheimers Dis. 2008;14:27-41.
61. Karolina DS, Armugam A, Tavintharan S, et al. MicroRNA 144 impairs insulin signaling by inhibiting the expression of insulin receptor substrate 1 in type 2 diabetes mellitus. PLoS One. 2011;6.
62. Bedreag OH, Sandesc D, Chiriac SD, et al. The Use of Circulating miRNAs as Biomarkers for Oxidative Stress in Critically Ill Polytrauma Patients. Clin Lab. 2016;62:263-274.
63. Sun T, Chen X, Liu Z, et al. Expression profiling of MicroRNAs in hippocampus of rats following traumatic brain injury. J Huazhong Univ Sci Technol Medical Sci. 2014;34:548-553.
64. Butcher N, Balogh ZJ. The definition of polytrauma: the need for international consensus. Injury. 2009;40:S12-S22.
65. Liu NK, Wang XF, Lu B, Xu XM. Altered microRNA expression following traumatic spinal cord injury. Exp Neurol. 2009;219:424-429.
66. Huang C, Xiao X, Chintagari NR, Breshears M, Wang Y, Liu L. MicroRNA and mRNA expression profiling in rat acute respiratory distress syndrome. BMC Med Genomics. 2014;7:1-15.
67. Ndegwa LK, Katz MA, McCormick K, et al. Surveillance for respiratory health care-associated infections among inpatients in 3 Kenyan hospitals. Am J Infect Control. 2014;42:985-990.
68. Wang J, Yu M, Yu G, et al. Serum miR-146a and miR-223 as potential new biomarkers for sepsis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;394:184-188.
69. Vasilescu C, Rossi S, Shimizu M, et al. MicroRNA fingerprints identify miR-150 as a plasma prognostic marker in patients with sepsis. PLoS One. 2009;4:e7404.
70. Schmidt WM, Spiel AO, Jilma B, Wolzt M, Müller M. In vivo profile of the human leukocyte microRNA response to endotoxemia. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;380:437-441.