Littoral cell angioma is a rare primary, vascular tumor thought to originate from the endothelial cells lining the sinuses of the splenic red pulp (the “littoral cells”). It is a benign, usually asymptomatic lesion diagnosed incidentally. Ultrasound and tomography appearance is not characteristic and histopathological examination is required. This work provides a case-study of littoral cell angioma which was seen in a 55-year-old female who complained of non-specific upper abdominal pain. Computed tomography revealed multiple hypo-attenuated splenic lesions suggestive for metastasis. A splenectomy was performed and routine microscopic examination supported by immunohistochemistry reactions with CD68, CD34 and CD31 showed littoral cell angioma.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Bisceglia M. Sickel J.Z. Giangaspero F. et al.: Littoral cell angioma of the spleen: an additional report of four cases with emphasis on the association with visceral organ cancers. Tumori. 84 595 1998.
2. Collins G.L. Morgan M.B. Taylor F.M.: Littoral cell angiomatosis with poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma of the lung. Ann Diagn Pathol. 7 54 2003.
3. Compérat E. et al.: Splenic metastases: clinicopathologic presentation differential diagnosis and pathogenesis. Arch Pathol Lab Med.131965 2007.
4. Falk S. Stutte H.J. Frizzera G.: Littoral cell angioma. A novel splenic vascular lesion demonstrating histiocytic differentiation. Am J Surg Pathol. 15 1023 1991.
5. Forest F. et al.: Traumatic subcapsular splenic hematoma revealing littoral cell angioma and Gaucher’s disease. Ann Hematol.8910612010.
6. Gupta M.K. et al.: Littoral cell angioma of the spleen in a patient with Gaucher disease. Am J Hematol.68612001.
7. Gupta P. et al.: Littoral cell angioma of spleen: an uncommon presentation of a rare neoplasm. J Clin Imaging Sci. 2 69 2012.
8. Harmon R.L. Cerruto C.A. Scheckner A.: Littoral cell angioma: a case report and review. Surg. 63 345 2006.
9. Johansson J. Björnsson B. Ignatova S. et al.: Littoral cell angioma in a patient with Crohn’s disease. Case Rep Gastrointest Med. 2015:474969. doi: 10.1155/2015/474969.
10. Liang W. et al.: Littoral cell angioma mimicking hepatic tumor. Acta Radiol Short Rep. 2012. doi: 10.1258/arsr.2012.120031.
11. Lin C.H. Yu J.C. Shih M.L. et al.: Littoral cell angioma of the spleen in a patient with hepatocellular carcinoma. J Formos Med Assoc. 104 282 2005.
12. Steensma D. Morice W.: Littoral cell angioma associated with portal hypertension and resected colon cancer. Acta Haematol. 104 131 2000.