A comparative study of kinetic models to describe the dynamics of the fermentation process of culturing of a probiotic strain Lactobacillus delbrueckii ssp. bulgaricus B1 was performed. The models of Monod, Aiba, Tiessier, Hinshelwood and the equation of the logistic curve combined with the model of Ludeking-Piret were used. It has been found that the different models described the observed fermentation dynamics differently. The conducted comparative study demonstrated that the models of Monod and the equation of the logistic curve combined with the model of Ludeking-Piret were suitable for the description of the fermentation dynamics. The mathematical models showed no significant product and/or substrate inhibition. The culture developed with a low specific growth rate, but nevertheless it accumulated 1012-1013 viable cells. The substrate was absorbed primarily from cells in the stationary growth phase rather than cells in the exponential growth phase
1. Angelov M., Kostov G. (2011). Bioengineering aspects of fermentation processes with free and immobilized microbial cells. Agency 7Д.
2. Barry V. M. & Murphy A. (2000). Measurement of total fructan in foods by enzymatic/spectrophotometric method: collaborative study. Journal of AOAC International, 83(2), 356-364.
3. Birol G., Doruker P.; Kardar B., Onsan Z., Ulgen K. (1998). Mathematical description of ethanol fermentation by immobilised Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Process Biochemistry, 33, 763-771.
4. D’Aimmo, M. R., Modesto M., & Biavati B. (2007). Antibiotic resistance of lactic acid bacteria and Bifidobacterium spp. Isolated from dairy and pharmaceutical products. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 115(1), 35-42.
5. FAO/WHO. (2001). Evaluation of health and nutritional properties of probiotics in food including powder milk with live lactic acid bacteria. from ftp.fao.org/es/esn/food/probioreport_en.pdf
6. Gilliland, S. E. (1990). Health and nutritional benefits from lactic acid bacteria. FEMS Microbiology Letters, 87(1-2), 175-188.
7. Ivanov, T., Gerov S., Yankov A., Bambalov G., Tonchev T., Nachkov D., Marinov M. (1979). Practical course in wine technology, Hristo G. Danov, Plovdiv.
8. Kostov G., Popova S., Gochev V., Koprinkova-Hristova P., Angelov M., Georgieva A. (2012). Modeling of batch alcohol fermentation with free and immobilized yeasts Saccharomyces cerevisiae 46 EVD. Biotechnology & Biotechnological Equipment, 26(3), 3021-3030, DOI: 10.5504/bbeq.2012.0025
9. Kostov G. (2015). Intensification of fermentation processes with immobilised biocatalysts. Thesis for Doctor of Sciences, University of Food Technologies, Plovdiv, Bulgaria.
10. Lourens-Hattingh, A., & Viljoen B. C. (2001). Yogurt as probiotic carrier food. International Dairy Journal, 11(1-2), 1-17.
11. Macrae, R., Robinson R. K., Sadler M., Encyclopaedia of Food Science, Food Technology and Nutrition, Vol. 5, Academic Press, San Diego 1993, p. 3082.
12. Madigan, M. T., Martinko J. M., Parker J., Brock Biology of Microorganisms, Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River 2000, 142-143
13. Mitev S.V., Popova S. (1995). A model of yeast cultivation based on morphophysiological parameters. J. Chemical and Biochemical Engineering Quarterly, 3, Zagreb, 119-121.
14. Pirt S.J. (1975). Principles of microbe and cell cultivation. Wiley, p. 274
15. Popova S. (1997). Parameter identification of a model of yeast cultivation process with neural network, Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering, 16(4), 243-245, DOI: 10.1007/s004490050315.
16. Rasic J. L. (2003). Microflora of the intestine probiotics. In B. Caballero, L. Trugo, & P. Finglas (Eds.), Encyclopedia of food sciences and nutrition (pp. 3911-3916). Oxford: Academic Press.
17. Salminen S. (1996). Uniqueness of probiotic strains. IDF Nutrition Newsletter, 5, 16-18.
18. Tripathi M.K., S.K. Giri (2014). Probiotic functional foods: Survival of probiotics during processing and storage. Journal of functional foods, 9: 225-241. DOI:10.1016/J.JFF.2014.04.030
19. Venturi, A., Gionchetti P., Rizzello F., Johansson R., Zucconi E., & Brigidi P. (1999). Impact on the composition of the faecal flora by a new probiotic preparation: Preliminary data on maintenance treatment of patients with ulcerative colitis. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 13(8), 1103-1108.
20. Wang X., Xu P., Yuan Y., Liu C., Zhang C., Yang Z., Yang C., Ma C. (2006). Modeling for Gellan Gum Production by Sphingomonas paucimobilis ATCC 31461 in a Simplified Medium. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 3367-3374