Catechin and its derivatives are polyphenolic benzopyran compounds. The condensation of catechin units leads to the formation of condensed tannins. It is found in appreciable amount in green tea leaves, cocoa, red wines, beer, chocolate, etc. It possesses important antioxidant, antibacterial, antifungal, antidiabetic, anti-inflammatory, antiproliferative and antitumor properties. The present review outlines recent updates and perspectives of the effects of catechins and the pharmacodynamic mechanisms involved.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Addepalli V SV (2018) Catechin attenuates diabetic autonomic neuropathy in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy 108:1517-1523.
2. Akinmoladun AC Oladejo CO Josiah SS Famusiwa CD Ojo OB Olaleye MT Catechin (2018) quercetin and taxifolin improve redox and biochemical imbalances in rotenone-induced hepatocellular dysfunction: Relevance for therapy in pesticide-induced liver toxicity? Pathophysiology 25(4):365-371.
3. Ajiboye TO Aliyu M Isiaka I Haliru FZ Ibitoye OB Uwazie JN Muritala HF Bella SA Yusuf II Mohammed AO (2016) Contribution of reactive oxygen species to (+)-catechin-mediated bacterial lethality. Chemico-Biological Interaction 258:276-287.
4. Baranowska M Suliborska K Chrzanowski W Kusznierewicz B Namieśnik J Bartoszek A (2018) The relationship between standard reduction potentials of catechins and biological activities involved in redox control. Redox Biology 17:355-366.
5. Bhatt LK Addepalli V (2012) Potentiation of aspirin-induced cerebroprotection by minocycline: a therapeutic approach to attenuate exacerbation of transient focal cerebral ischaemia. Diabetes Vasc. Dis. Res. 9:25-34.
6. Boyanova L Ilieva J Gergova G Vladimirov B Nikolov R Mitov I (2015) Honey and green/black tea consumption may reduce the risk of helicobacter pylori infection. Diagn. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 82 (1):85-86.
7. Caro AA Davis A Fobare S Horan N Ryan C Schwab C (2019) Antioxidant and pro-oxidant mechanisms of (+) catechin in microsomal CYP2E1-dependent oxidative stress. Toxicology in Vitro 54:1-9.
8. Casanova E Salvado J Crescenti A Gilbert-Ramos A (2019) Epigallocatechin gallate modulates muscle homeostasis in type 2 diabetes and obesity by targeting energetic and redox pathways: A narrative review. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 20:532.
9. Chang EH Huang J Lin Z Brown AC (2019) Catechin-mediated restructuring of a bacterial toxin inhibits activity. BBA - General Subjects 1863:191-198.
10. Chunmei D Jiabo W Weijun K Cheng P Xioache X (2010) Investigation of antimicrobial activity of catechin on Escherichia coli growth by microcalorimetry. Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology 30:284-288.
11. Di Leo N Battaglini M Berger L Giannacinni M Dente L Hampel S Vittorio O Cirillo G Raffa V (2017) A catehin nanoformulation inhibits WM266 melanoma cell proliferation migration and associated neo-angiogenesis. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics 114:1-10.
12. Diaz-Gomez R Lopez-Solis R Obreque-Slier E Toledo-Araya H (2013) Comparative antibacterial effect of gallic acid and catechin against Helicobacter pylori. LWT-Food Science and Technology 54:331-335.
13. Diaz-Gomez R Toledo-Araya H Lopez-Solis R Obreque-Slier E (2014) Combined effect of gallic acid and catechin against Eschericia coli. LWT-Food Science and Technology 59:896-900.
14. Fournier-Larente J Morin MP Grenier D (2016) Green tea catechins potentiate the effect of antibiotics and modulate adherence and gene expression in Porphiromonas gingivalis. Archives of Oral Biology 65:35-43.
15. Ganeshpurkar A Saluj AK (2018) Protective effect of catechin on humoral and cell mediated immunity in rat model. International Immunopharmacology 54:261-266.
16. Gomes FMS da Cunha XJ dos Santos JFS de Matos YMLS Tintino SR de Freitas TS Coutinho HDM (2018) Evaluation of antibacterial and modifying action of catechin antibiotics in resistant strains. Microbial Pathogenesis 115:175-178.
17. Grzesik M Naparlo K Bartosz G Sadowska-Bartosz I (2018) Antioxidant properties of catechins: Comparison with other antioxidants. Food Chemistry 241:480-492.
18. Hashemipour MA Lotfi S Torabi M Sharifi F Ansari M Ghassemi A Sheikhshoaie S (2017) Evaluation of the effects of three plant species (Myrtus Communis L. Camellia Sinensis L. Zataria Multiflora Boiss.) on the healing process of intraoral ulcers in rats. J. Dent. 18 (2):127–135.
19. Ide K Matsuoka N Yamada H Furushima D Kawakami K (2018) Effects of Tea Catechins on Alzheimer’s Disease: Recent Updates and Perspectives. Molecules 23:2357.
20. Ikeda A Iso H Yamagishi K Iwasaki M Yamaji T Miura T Sawada N Inoue M Tsugane S (2018) Plasma tea catechins and risk of cardiovascular disease in middle-aged Japanese subjects: The JPHC study. Atherosclerosis 277:90-97.
21. Kim AR Kim KM Byun MR Hwang JH Park JI Oh HT Kim HK Jeong MG Hwang ES Hong JH (2017) Catechins activate muscle stem cells by Myf5 induction and stimulate muscle regeneration. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 489(2):142-148.
22. Kimura-Ohba S Yang Y (2016) Oxidative DNA Damage Mediated by Intranuclear MMP Activity Is Associated with Neuronal Apoptosis in Ischemic Stroke. Oxid. Med. Cell. Longev. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/6927328
23. Koo SI Noh SK (2007) Green Tea as Inhibitor of the Intestinal Absorption of Lipids: Potential Mechanism for its Lipid-Lowering Effect. J Nutr Biochem. 18(3):179-183.
24. Li F Jin H Xiao J Yin X Liu X Li D Huang Q (2018) The simultaneous loading of catechin and quercetin on chitosan-based nanoparticles as effective antioxidant and antibacterial agent. Food Research International 111:351-360.
25. Liao Y Fu X Zhou H Rao W Zeng L Yang Z (2019) Visualized analysis of within-tissue spatial distribution of specialized metabolites in tea (Camellia sinensis) using desorption electrospray ionization imaging mass spectrometry. Food Chemistry 292: 204-210.
26. Lill G Voit S Schro K Weber AA (2003) Complex effects of different green tea catechins on human platelets. FEBS Letters. 546:265-270.
27. Manach C Williamson G Morand C Scalbert A Remesy C (2005) Bioavailability and bioefficacy of polyphenols in humans I. Review of 97 bioavailability studies. Am J Clin Nutr 81:230-242.
28. Mangels DR Mohler ER (2017) Catechins as Potential Mediators of Cardiovascular Health. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 37(5):757-763.
29. Matsui T (2015) Condensed catechins and their potential health benefits. European Journal of Pharmacology 795:495-502.
30. Miyamoto T Zhang X Ueyama Y Kitichalermkiat AK Nakayama M Suzuki Y Ozawa T Mitani A Shigemune N Shimatani K Yui K Honjoh K (2017) Development of novel monoclonal antibodies directed against catechins for investigation of antibacterial mechanism of catechins. Journal of Microbiological Methods 137:6-13.
31. Nakayama M Shimatani K Ozawa T Shigemune N Tsugukuni T Tomiyama D Kurahachi M Nonaka A Miyamoto T (2013) A study of the antibacterial mechanism of catechins: Isolation and indentification of Escherichia coli cell surface proteins that interact with epigallocatechin gallate. Food Control 33:433-439.
32. Naveeda M BiBi J Kamboh AA Suheryani I Kakar I Fazlani SA Fang XF Kalhoro SA Yunjuan L Kakar MU El-Hackk MEA Noreldin AE Zhixiang S LiXia C Hui ZX (2018) Pharmacological values and therapeutic properties of black tea (Camellia sinensis): A comprehensive overview Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy 100:521-531.
33. Pan Z Zhoua Y Luoa X Ruanb Y Zhoua L Wanga Q Yanc Y Liua Q Chend J (2018) Against NF-κB/thymic stromal lymphopoietin signaling pathway catechin alleviates the inflammation in allergic rhinitis. International Immunopharmacology 61:241-248.
34. Pastoriza S Mesías M Cabrera C Rufiánhenares JA (2017) Healthy properties of green and white teas: an update. Food Funct. 8:2650-2662.
35. Rothwell JA Madrid-Gambin F Garcia-Aby M Andres-Lacueva C Logue C Gallagher AM Mack C Kulling SE Gao Q Pratici G Dragsted LO Scalbert A (2018) Biomarkers of intake for coffee tea and sweetened beverages. Genes&Nutrition doi: 10.1186/s12263-018-0607-5
36. Roychoudhury S Agarwal A Virk G Cho CL (2017) Potential role of geen tea catechins in the management of oxidative stress-associated infertility. Reproductive Biomedicie Online 34:487-498.
37. Saito H Tamura M Imai K Ishigami T Ochiai K (2013) Catechin inhibits Candida albicansi dimorphism by distructing Cek1 phosphorylation and cAMP synthesis. Microbial Pathogenesis. 56:16-20.
38. Santos LFS Stolfo A Calloni C Salvador M (2017) Catechin and epicatechin reduce mithochondrial dysfunction and oxidative stress induced by amiodarone in human lung fibroblasts. Journal of Arrythmia 33:220-225.
39. Shahid A Ali R Ali N Hasan SK Bernwal P Afzal SM Vafa A Sultana S (2016) Modulatory effects of catechin hydrate against genotoxicity oxidative stress inflammation and apoptosis induced by benzo(a)pyrene in mice. Food and Chemical Toxicology 92:64-74.
40. Shay J Elbaz HA Lee I Zielske SP Malek MH Hüttemann M Molecular mechanisms and therapeutic effects of (–)-epicatechin and other polyphenols in cancer inflammation diabetes and neurodegeneration. Oxid. Med. Cell. Longev. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/181260
41. Shishikura Y Khokhar S Murray BS (2006) Effect of tea polyphenols on emulsificat on of olive oil in a small intestine model system. J Agric Food Chem 54:1906-13.
42. Suryavanshi SV Kulkarni YA (2017) NF-κβ: a potential target in the management of vascular complications of diabetes Front. Pharmacol. 8:1-12.
43. Thielecke F Boschmann M (2009) The potential role of green tea catechins in the prevention of the metabolic syndrome-A review. Phytochemistry 70:11-24.
44. Watson RR Preedy VR Zibadi S (2014) Polyphenols in Human Health and Disease. Imprint Academic Press https://doi.org/10.1016/C2011-1-09286-X
45. Xiang LP Wang A Ye JH Zheng XQ Polito C Lu JL Li QS Liang YR (2016) Suppressive effects of tea catechins on breast cancer. Nutrients 8(8) https://doi.org/10.3390/nu8080458.
46. Yang H Xue X Li H Apandi SN Tay-Chan SC Ong SP Tian EF (2018) The relative antioxidant activity and steric structure of green tea catechins-A kinetic approach. Food chemistry 257:399-405.
47. You HL Huang CC Chen CJ Chang CC Liao PL Huang ST (2018) Anti-pandemic influenza A (H1N1) virus potential of catechin and gallic acid. Journal of the Chinese Medical Association 81:458-468.
48. Zhang H Jung J Zhao Y (2016) Preparation characterization and evaluation of antibacterial activity of catechins and catechins-Zn complex loaded β-chitosan nanoparticles of different particle sizes. Carbohydrate Polymers 216:82-91.