As highly automated and autonomous vehicles (AVs) become more and more widespread, inducing the change of traffic dynamics, significant changes occur in traditional traffic control. So far, automotive testing has been done mostly in real-world or pure virtual simulation environment. However, this practice is quite obsolete as testing in real traffic conditions can be quite costly, moreover purely simulation based testing might be inadequate for specific goals. Accordingly, a hybrid concept of the Vehicle-inthe-Loop (ViL) was born recently, in accordance with the Hardware-in-the-Loop concept, i.e. in the ViL concept the vehicle is the 'hardware' within the simulation loop. Furthermore, due to the development of software capabilities, a novel approach, the Scenarioin-the-Loop (SciL) concept evolves based on the ViL approach. The paper defines the main purposes and conditions related to implementing ViL and SciL concepts from the perspective of traffic simulation and traffic control.
6. Hartmann, M., Abaunza, H., Castillo, P., Stolz, M., Watzenig, D. (2018). Pedestrian in the loop: An approach using flying drones. In: Proceedings of the 2018 IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference (I2MTC), Houston, USA, pp. 1-6. IEEE. DOI: 10.1109/I2MTC.2018.8409536
8. ISO (2017) TS 19091:2017, Intelligent transport systems -- Cooperative ITS -- Using V2I and I2V communications for applications related to signalised intersections
9. Lopez, P.A., Behrisch M., Bieker-Walz, L., Erdmann, J., Flötteröd, Y-P., Hilbrich, R., Lücken, L., Rummel, J. Wagner, P., Wiessner, E. (2018) Microscopic Traffic Simulation using SUMO, In: Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), Maui, HI, USA, 4-7 Nov. 2018, DOI: 10.1109/ITSC.2018.8569938
10. Marilisa, B., Luigi, P., Nicola, B. G. (2018) C-ITS communication: an insight on the current research activities in the European Union. International Journal of Transportation Systems, 3(1), 52-63. ISSN: 2534-8876
11. Németh, H., Háry, A., Szalay, Zs., Tihanyi, V., Tóth, B. (2018) Proving ground test scenarios in mixed virtual and real environment for highly automated driving, Research paper for Automotive Proving Ground Zala Ltd.
14. Rosenberger, P., Holder, M., Zirulnik, M., Winner, H. (2018) Analysis of Real World Sensor Behavior for Rising Fidelity of Physically Based Lidar Sensor Models. June 2018. IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV) (pp. 611-616). IEEE. DOI: 10.1109/IVS.2018.8500511
15. SAE International (2016a) J2735\_200911, Dedicated Short Range Communications (DSRC) Message Set Dictionary
16. SAE International (2016b) J3016\_201609, Taxonomy and Definitions for Terms Related to Driving Automation Systems for On-Road Vehicles
17. Schramm, D., Hiller, M., Bardini, R. (2018) Equations of Motion of Complex Multibody Systems. In: Vehicle Dynamics (pp. 73-93). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-662-54483-9_4
20. Szalay, Zs., Tettamanti, T., Esztergar-Kiss, D., Varga, I., Bartolini, C. (2017a) Development of a Test Track for Driverless Cars: Vehicle Design, Track Configuration, and Liability Considerations, Periodica Polytechnica, Transportation Engineering, 46(1): 29-35, DOI: 10.3311/PPtr.10753
21. Szalay, Zs. (2017b) ZalaZONE Test Environment to the Future Cars, 4th Hungarian Future Internet Conference (in Hungarian), 8-9. November 2017, Budapest
22. Szalay, Zs., Hamar, Z., Simon, P. (2018) A Multi-layer Autonomous Vehicle and Simulation Validation Ecosystem Axis: ZalaZONE In: Strand, Marcus; Dillmann, Rüdiger; Menegatti, Emanuele; Ghidoni, Stefano (2018) Intelligent Autonomous Systems 15 Cham (Switzerland), Switzerland: Springer International Publishing, pp. 954-963. ISBN: 9783030013707
24. Tettamanti, T., Szalai, M., Vass, S., Tihanyi, V. (2018) Vehicle-In-the-Loop Test Environment for Autonomous Driving with Microscopic Traffic Simulation In: Proceedings of the. 20th IEEE International Conference on Vehicular Electronics and Safety (ICVES), 12-14 September 2018, Madrid, pp 1-6. DOI: 10.1109/ICVES.2018.8519486.