Due to increasing human population and the number of vehicles, road traffic accident has significant influence on human life and economic development. In the present study, road traffic accident data of three years (2015-2017) were obtained from Hosanna Town Traffic Police Department, and Hosanna Town Transport Authority in Ethiopia. The Global Position System was used to know X, Y coordinates of the accident locations. Global Position System point data and accident data were added to road network data using the ‘Joins and relates’ function in ArcGIS. The results of the study showed a total of 241 Road traffic accidents (RTAs) were occurred in the town from which about 208 victims occurred on people and 33 damaged properties. Based on severity and frequencies of RTAs top nine hot spot areas were identified which requires high attention to protect people and property from damage and loss. Thus, the government and other concerned stakeholders should provide public education and awareness creation to reduce risk of fatalities and property damage due to RTAs in Hosanna town.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Adeloye D. Thompson J.Y. Akanbi M.A. Zzuh D. Samuel V. Omoregbe N. and Ayo C.K. (2016) Bulletin of the World Health Organization. The burden of road traffic crashes injuries and deaths in Africa: a systematic review and meta-analysis. - http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/94/7/15-163121/en/ (Accessed on November 6 2018).
2. Admassie A. Yirga T. and Wamisho B.L. (2010) Adult limb fractures in Tikur Anbessa hospital caused by road traffic injuries: half year plain radiographic pattern. Ethiop. J Health Dev 24 (1) 61-63. DOI: 10.4314/ejhd.v24i1.65716.
3. Africa Development Bank Group (2013) Road Safety in Africa Assessment of Progresses and Challenges in Road Safety Management System. Transport and ICT Department December 2013. - www.afdb.org.
4. Aghajani M.A. Dezfoulian R.S. Arjroody A.R. and Rezaei M. (2017) Applying GIS to Identify the Spatial and Temporal Patterns of Road Accidents Using Spatial Statistics (Case study: Ilam Province Iran). World Conference on Transport Research-WCTR 2016 Shanghai. 10-15 July 2016. Transportation Research Procedia 25 2126-2138. DOI: 10.1016/j.trpro.2017.05.409.
5. Al-Abdallat I.M. Ali R.A. Hudaib A.A. Salameh G.A.M. Salameh R.J.M. and Idhair A.K.F. (2016) The prevalence of alcohol and psychotropic drugs in fatalities of road-traffic accidents in Jordan during 2008-2014. Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine 39 130-134. DOI: 10.1016/j.jflm.2016.01.018.
6. Bogstrand S.T. Larsson M. Holtan A. Staff T.Vindenes V. and Gjerde H. (2015) Associations between driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs speeding and seatbelt use among fatally injured car drivers in Norway. Accident Analysis and Prevention 78 14-19. DOI: 10.1016/j.aap.2014.12.025.
7. Callaghan R.C. Gatley J.M. Veldhuizen S. Lev-Ran S. Mann R. and Asbridge M. (2013) Alcohol- or drug-use disorders and motor vehicle accident mortality: A retrospective cohort study. Accident Analysis and Prevention 53 149–155. DOI: 10.1016/j.aap.2013.01.008.
8. Costa N. Silva Mendonca M.C. Real F.C. Vieira D.N. and Teixeira H.M. (2012) Prevalence of ethanol and illicit drugs in road traffic accidents in the centre of Portugal: An eighteen-year update. Forensic Science International 2016 37-43. DOI: 10.1016/j.forsciint.2011.08.013.
9. Deepthi J.K. and Ganeshkumar B. (2010) Identification of Accident Hot Spots: A GIS Based Implementation for Kannur District Kerala. International Journal of Geometrics and Geosciences 1(1) 51-59. ISSN 0976-4380.
10. Dereli M.A. and Erdogan S. (2017) A new model for determining the traffic accident black spots using GIS-aided spatial statistical methods. Transportation Research Part A 103 106-117: - http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tra.2017.05.031.
11. Dowing A. J. Baguley C. J. and Hills B. (1999) Road Safety in Developing Countries: An overview. Oversees Centre. Transport and Road Research Laboratory Crowthorne Berkshire United Kingdom.
12. Elliott S. Woolacott H. and Braithwaite R. (2009) The prevalence of drugs and alcohol found in road traffic fatalities: A comparative study of victims. Science and Justice 49 19-23. DOI: 10.1016/j.scijus.2008.06.001.
13. Ferrari D. Manca M. Banfi G. and Locatelli M. (2018) Alcohol and illicit drugs in drivers involved in road traffic crashes in the Milan area. A comparison with normal traffic reveals the possible inadequacy of current cut-off limits. Forensic Science International 282127-132. DOI: 10.1016/j.forsciint.2017.11.005.
14. Galanis A. Botzoris G. and Eliou N. (2017) Pedestrian road safety in relation to urban road type and traffic flow. 3rd Conference on Sustainable Urban Mobility 3rd CSUM 2016 26-27 May 2016 Volos Greece. Transportation Research Procedia 24220–227. DOI: 10.1016/j.trpro.2017.05.111.
15. Geurts K. and Wets G. (2003) Black Spot Analysis Methods: Literature Review.
16. Gicquel L. Ordonneau P. Blot E. Toillon C. Ingrand P. and Romo L. (2017) Description of Various Factors Contributing to Traffic Accidents in Youth and Measures Proposed to Alleviate Recurrence. Front Psychiatry 8 94. DOI: 10.3389/fpsyt.2017.00094.
17. Gomes S.V. (2012) The influence of the infrastructure characteristics in urban road accidents occurrence. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences 48 1611-1621. DOI: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.06.1136.
18. Hailemichael F. Suleiman M. and Paulo’s W. (2015) Magnitude and outcomes of road traffic accidents at Hospitals in Wolaita Zone SNNPR Ethiopia. BMC Res Notes8(1) 135. DOI: 10.1186/s13104-015-1094-z.
19. Hordofa G.G. Assegid S. Girma A. and Weldemarium T.D. (2018) Prevalence of fatality and associated factors of road traffic accidents among victims reported to Burayu town police stations between 2010 and 2015 Ethiopia. Journal of Transport and Health. 10 186-193. DOI: 10.1016/j.jth.2018.06.007.
21. Kamalasudhan A. Mitra S. Huang B.O. and Chin H.C. (2009) An analysis of expressway Accidents in Singapore Department of Civil Engineering National University of Singapore Singapore.
22. Karpova G. and Julmukhamedova G. (2017) Modes for Estimating Human Capital Losses due to Traffic Related Deaths. 12th International Conference "Organization and Traffic Safety Management in large cities" SPbOTSIC-2016 28-30 September 2016 St. Petersburg Russia. Transportation Research Procedia 20 267 – 271. DOI: 10.1016/j.trpro.2017.01.016.
23. Kontakt M. (2017) Health and social consequences of road traffic accidents. University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice Faculty of Health and Social Sciences Department of Radiology Toxicology and Civil Protection České Budějovice Czech Republic. DOI: 10.1016/j.kontakt.2017.01.007 (Accessed on November 9 2018).
24. Kountouriotis G.K. and Merat N. (2016) Leading to distraction: Driver distraction lead car and road environment. Accident Analysis and Prevention 89 22-30. DOI: 10.1016/j.aap.2015.12.027.
25. Liscak S. and Moravcik L. (2013) Safety requirements for road vehicles.4 (8).
26. Lizbetin J. and Bartuska L. (2017) The Influence of Human Factor on Congestion Formation on Urban Roads. 10th International Scientific Conference Transbaltica 2017: Transportation Science and Technology. Procedia Engineering 187 206-211. DOI: 10.1016/j.proeng.2017.04.366.
27. Mandar M. Boulmakoul A. and Lbath A. (2017) Pedestrian fuzzy risk exposure indicator. 19th EURO Working Group on Transportation Meeting EWGT2016 5-7 September 2016 Istanbul Turkey. Transportation Research Procedia 22 124–133. DOI: 10.1016/j.trpro.2017.03.019.
28. QianY.U. Juncheng J. HanhuaYU. (2012) Research on the emergency response system of major dangerous chemical accident on highway based on the GIS. 2012 International Symposium on Safety Science & Technology. Procedia Engineering 45 716-721. DOI: 10.1016/j.proeng.2012.08.229.
29. Shafabakhsh G. Famili A. and Bahadori M.S. (2017) GIS-based spatial analysis of urban traffic accidents: Case study in Mashhad Iran. Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering 4 (3) 290-299. DOI: 10.1016/j.jtte.2017.05.005.
30. Soehodho S. (2017) Public transportation development and traffic accident prevention in Indonesia. IATSS Research 40 76-80. DOI: 10.10.16/j.iatssr.2016.05.001.
31. Stübig T. Petri M. Zeckey C. Brand S. Muller C. Otte D. Krettek C. and Haasper C. (2012) Alcohol intoxication in road traffic accidents leads to higher impact speed difference higher ISS and MAIS and higher preclinical mortality. Alcohol 46 681-686. DOI: 10.1016/j.alcohol.2010.07.002.
32. Waylen A.E. and McKenna F.P. (2008) Risky attitudes towards road use in pre-drivers. Accident Analysis & Prevention 40(3) 905-911. DOI: 10.1016/j.aap.2007.10.005.
33. Wiebe D.J. Ray S. Maswabi T. Kgathi C. and Branas C.C. (2016) Economic development and road traffic fatalities in two neighbouring African nations. African Journal of Emergency Medicine. 6 80-86. DOI: 10.1016/j.afjem.2016.03.003.
34. World Health Organization (2013) WHO Global Status Report on Road Safety 2013: Supporting a Decade of Action. World Health Organization.
35. Yang S. Lu S. and Wu Y. (2013) GIS-based Economic Cost Estimation of Traffic Accidents in St. Louis Missouri. 13th COTA International Conference of Transportation Professionals (CICTP 2013). Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences 96 2907-2915. DOI: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.08.322.