This paper explains the most important methodological steps of introducing a new speed management strategy. The development of a speed monitoring system with a long term effect on the progress of road safety, makes it necessary to identify its strategic goals, main functions and system components. The strategy should investigate current speed management methods, regulation framework of road signs, tendencies represented by statistics, enforcement campaigns, control equipment, and last but not least the penalty system. Assessment of the applied speed enforcement practices and framework should involve the revision of the recently operating institutional, legal and technical framework of speed enforcement structure.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. 2008/96/EC (2008) Directive 2008/96/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 19 November 2008 on road infrastructure safety management.
2. ACPO - Association of Chief Police Officers of England, Wales and Northern Ireland (2011) Guide for the Operational Use of Speed and Red-light Offence Detection Technology.
3. Elvik, R., Mysen, A.B. and Vaa, T. (1997) Trafikksikkerhetshåndbok. Transportøkonomisk institut (TØI), Oslo, Norway. (In English: Traffic handbook).
4. FHWA - Federal Highway Administration Office of Safety (2003) Updated Minimum Retro reflectivity Levels for Traffic Signs.
5. Geurts, K. and Wets, G. (2003) Black Spot Analysis Methods: Literature Review. Limburgs Universitair Centrum.
6. GRSP - Global Road Safety Partnership (2008) Speed management. A Road Safety Manual for Decision-makers and Practitioners.
7. Holló, P., Vojtech E., Zukowska J. (2010) Road safety performance indicators and their explanatory value: A critical view based on the experience of Central European countries. Safety science 48.9 (2010): 1142-1150.
8. IRF - International Road Federation (2016) Public Private Partnerships in Traffic Enforcement. A White Paper from the International Road Federation.
9. Jankowska, D., Mikušová, M., Wacowska-Ślęzak, J. (2015) Mobility Issues in Selected Regions of Poland and Slovakia - Outcomes of International Project SOL (Save Our Lives) Survey, Period. Polytech. Transp. Eng., Vol. 43, No. 2 (2015), pp. 67-72., DOI: 10.3311/PPtr.7580
10. KTI - Institute for Transport Sciences (2016) Road Safety Development Techniques in Urban and Rural Environment. Research Study.
11. Lyons, G. and Davidson, C. (2016) Guidance for transport planning and policymaking in the face of an uncertain future. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 88, 104-116.
12. Mocsári, T. (2012) A gépjárművek sebességének hatása a közúti közlekedés biztonságára. Széchenyi István Egyetem, Műszaki Tudományi Kar. (In English: The Effect of Traffic Speed on Road Safety).
13. Nilsson, G. (2004) Traffic safety dimensions and the power model to describe the effect of speed on safety. Bulletin-Lunds Tekniska Högskola, Inst för Teknik och Samhälle, Lunds Universitet, 221.
15. Török, A. and Zefreh, M.M. (2016) Assessing the Need for Applying Multimodal Speed Distribution in Road Transport Macro Emission Estimation. Acta Technica Jaurinensis, 9(2), 118-127.
16. Török, Ár. and Török, Ád. (2014) Macroeconomic analysis of road vehicles related environmental pollution in Hungary. Central European Journal of Engineering, 4(2), 186-191.
17. U.S. Department for Transportation - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) (2007) Guidelines for Developing a High-Visibility Enforcement Campaign to Reduce Unsafe Driving - Behaviours among Drivers of Passenger and Commercial Motor Vehicles.
18. U.S. Department for Transportation - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) (2009) Speed Concepts: Informational Guide.
19. U.S. Department for Transportation - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) (2012) Speed Management A Manual for Local Rural Road Owners.
20. U.S. Department for Transportation - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) (2013) LIDAR Speed-Measuring Device Performance Specifications.
21. Wegman, F., Eksler, V., Hayes, S., Lynam, D., Morsink, P. and Oppe, S. (Eds.) (2005) SUNflower+ 6. A Comparative Study of the Development of Road Safety in.
22. Wijers, P.J (2016) Public Private Partnerships for Traffic Enforcement based on the IRF ‘Statement of Policy’. International UNECE PPP Forum 30 March - 1 April 2016 Palais des Nations Geneva.
23. Zefreh, M.M. and Török, Á. (2016) Improving Traffic Flow Characteristics by Suppressing Shared Taxis Maneuvers, Period. Polytech. Transp. Eng., Vol. 44, No. 2 (2016), pp. 69-74., DOI: 10.3311/PPtr.8226