Efficiency of transportation of people and goods is playing a vital role in economic growth. A key component for enabling effective planning of transportation networks is the deployment and operation of autonomous monitoring and traffic analysis tools. For that reason, such systems have been developed to register and classify road traffic usage. In this paper, we propose a novel system for road traffic monitoring and classification based on highly energy efficient wireless magnetic sensor networks. We develop novel algorithms for vehicle speed and length estimation and vehicle classification that use multiple magnetic sensors. We also demonstrate that, using such a low-cost system with simplified installation and maintenance compared to current solutions, it is possible to achieve highly accurate estimation and a high rate of positive vehicle classification.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Benyassine A. Shlomot E. Su H.-Y. Massaloux D. Lamblin C. Petit J.-P. (1997) ITU-T Recommendation G.729 optimized for V.70 digital simultaneous voice and data applications IEEE Communications Magazine vol. 35 no. 9 pp. 64-73.
2. Buettner M. Yee G.V. Anderson E. Han R. (2006) X-MAC: A short preamble MAC protocol for duty-cycled wireless sensor networks In: Proceedings of the ACM Conf. on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys) Boulder CO USA.
3. Canny J.F. (1986) A computational approach to edge detection IEEE Transactions on Patern Analysis and Machine Intelligence vol. 8 no. 6 pp. 679-698.
4. Chang S.G. Cvetkovic Z. Vetterli M. (2006) Locally adaptive wavelet-based image interpolation IEEE Transactions on Image Processing vol. 15 no. 6 pp. 1471-1485.
5. Cheung S.Y. Coleri S. Dunbar B. Ganesh S. Tan C.-W. Varaiya P. (2005) Traffic Measurement and Vehicle Classification with Single Magnetic Sensor Journal of the Transportation Research Board (Transportation Research Record) pp. 173-181.
6. Collotta M. Lo Bello L. G. Pau G. (2015) A novel approach for dynamic traffic lights management based on wireless sensor networks and multiple fuzzy logic controllers Expert Systems with Applications vol. 42 no. 13 pp. 5403-5415.
7. Haijian L. Honghui D. Limin J. Moyu R. (2014) Vehicle classification with single multifunctional magnetic sensor and optimal MNS-based CART Measurement: Journal of the International Measurement Confederation vol. 55 pp. 142-152.
8. Haoui A. Kavaler R. Varaiya P. (2007) Wireless magnetic sensors for traffic surveillance Elsevier Transportation Research Part C.
9. Kaewkamnerd S. Chinrungrueng J. Pongthornseri R. Dumnin S. (2010) Vehicle classification based on magnetic sensor signal In: Proceedings of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Information and Automation (ICIA).
10. Ki Y.K. Baik D.K. (2006) Vehicle-classification algorithm for single-loop detectors using neural networks IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technologies vol. 55 no. 6.
11. Ma W. Xing D. McKee A. Bajwa R. Flores C. Fuller B. and Varaiya P. (2014) A wireless accelerometer-based automatic vehicle classification prototype system IEEE Trans. on Intelligent Transportation Systems vol. 15 no. 1.
12. Mallat S. Hwang W.L. (1992) Singularity detection and processing with wavelets IEEE Transactions on Information Theory vol. 38 no. 2 pp. 617-643.
13. Mallat S. Zhong S. (1992) Characterization of signals from multiscale edges IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence vol. 14 no. 7 pp. 2207-2232.
14. Mbodila M Obeten E. Bassey I. (2015) Implementation of novel vehicles' traffic monitoring using wireless sensor network in South Africa In: Proceedings of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Communication Software and Networks (ICCSN).
15. Qingju L. Aubrey A.J. Wenwu W. (2014) Interference reduction in reverberant speech separation with visual voice activity detection IEEE Transactions on Multimedia vol. 16 no. 6 pp. 1610-1623.
16. Scharenborg O. Wan V. Ernestus M. (2010) Unsupervised speech segmentation: an analysis of the hypothesized phone boundaries The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America vol. 127 no. 2 pp. 1084-1095.
17. Xue W. Wang L. Wang D. (2015) A prototype integrated monitoring system for pavement and traffic based on an embedded sensing network IEEE Trans. on Intelligent Transportation Systems vol. 16 no. 3 pp. 1380-1390.
18. Ye W. Silva F. Heidemann J. (2006) Ultra-low duty cycle MAC with scheduled channel polling In: Proceedings of the ACM Conf. on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys) Boulder CO USA.