From January 2009 to April 2012 a satellite survey of the central and southeastern parts of the Baltic Sea was carried out by the Space Radar Laboratory at the Space Research Institute of Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS). The main attention was focused on the detection of oil pollution as well as biogenic and anthropogenic surfactant films. The basic data are high resolution radar images obtained by advanced synthetic aperture radar (ASAR) on board of the Envisat satellite of the European Space Agency. Remotely sensed data in visual and infrared (IR) bands acquired by sensors MERIS Envisat, MODIS-Terra and -Aqua, and AVHRR NOAA nearly simultaneously with the ASAR images, were processed and analysed in order to facilitate the discrimination between different types of surface pollutants, to understand a comprehensive features of meteorological and hydrodynamic processes in the sea area of investigation, and to reveal factors determining pollutants spread and drift. The regions of the most intense oil pollution are outlined.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Alpers, W. and Huhnerfuss H. (1989). The damping of ocean waves by surface films: A new look at an old problem, Journal of Geophysical Research, 94, 6251-6265.
2. Brekke C., A. Solberg (2005) Oil spill detection by satellite remote sensing, Remote Sensing of Environment. 95, 1-13.
3. Espedal, H.A., Johannessen, O.M. (2000). Detection of oil spills near offshore installations using synthetic aperture radar (SAR), International Journal of Remote Sensing. 21(11), 2141-2144.
4. Espedal H, Wahl T., (1999) Satellite SAR oil spill detection using wind history information. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 20(1), 49-65.
5. Gade M. (2006). On the imaging of biogenic and anthropogenic surface films on the sea by radar sensors. In Marine Surface Films: Chemical Characteristics, Influence on Air-Sea Interactions, and Remote Sensing (Ed. Gade M., Huhnerfuss H. and Korenowski G.H.), Springer Heidelberg, pp. 189- 204.
6. Global Marine Oil Pollution Information Gateway (2012). Online at http://www.oils.gpa.unep.org/ (as of 10 June 2012).
7. Grishin N., Kostianoy A. (2012a) Satellite monitoring of suspended matter pollution resulted from the Nord Stream gas pipeline construction in Russian waters of the Baltic Sea in 2010-2011. International Water Technology Journal, V.2, N1, P.80-89.
8. Grishin N.N., Kostianoy A.G. (2012b) On satellite monitoring of suspended matter transport during the construction of an offshore gas pipeline Nord Stream in Russian waters of the Baltic Sea in 2010. Modern problems of remote sensing of the Earth from space, V.9, N 1, P. 167-175 (in Russian).
9. Grishin N.N., Kostianoy A.G. (2013) The use of satellite monitoring of suspended matter transport for the assessment of transboundary environmental impact of construction the Russian section of the offshore gas pipeline Nord Stream. Modern problems of remote sensing of the Earth from space, V.10, N 1, P. 303-319 (in Russian).
10. Jenkins, A.D. and Jacobs, S.J. (1997). Wave damping by a thin layer of viscous fluid, Phys. Fluids. 9(5), 1256-1264.
11. Kostianoy, A.G. and Lavrova, O. Yu. (Eds.) (2014a) Oil pollution in the Baltic Sea. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York. V27. 268 pp.
12. Kostianoy, A.G. and Lavrova, O. Yu. (2014b) Introduction. In: Oil pollution in the Baltic Sea. (Eds.) A.G. Kostianoy and O. Yu. Lavrova, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, V27, 1-13.
13. Kostianoy, A.G. and Lavrova, O. Yu. (2014c) Conclusions. In: Oil pollution in the Baltic Sea. (Eds.) A.G. Kostianoy and O. Yu. Lavrova, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, V27, 249-263.
14. Kostianoy A., Lavrova O, Mityagina, M., Bocharova, T., Litovchenko K., Lebedev S., Stanichny S., Soloviev D., Sirota A. (2007) Complex Monitoring of Oil Pollution in the Baltic, Black and Caspian Seas. In Proc. ‘Envisat Symposium 2007’. ESA-SP-636. (CD-ROM), European Space Agency, Noordwijk, The Netherlands. 2007.
15. Kostianoy, A.G., Lavrova, O. Yu., Mityagina, M.I., Solovyov, D.M. and Lebedev, S.A. (2014a). Satellite monitoring of oil pollution in the Southeastern Baltic Sea. In: Oil Pollution in the Baltic Sea, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, V27, pp.125-154.
16. Kostianoy A.G., Lavrova O. Yu., Mityagina M.I., Solovyov D.M. (2014b) Satellite monitoring of the Nord Stream gas pipeline construction in the Gulf of Finland. In: Oil Pollution in the Baltic Sea, (Eds.) A.G. Kostianoy and O. Yu. Lavrova, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, V27, P. 221-248.
17. Kostianoy A.G., Lebedev S.A., Litovchenko K. TS., Stanichny S.V., Pichuzhkina O.E. (2005). Oil spill monitoring in the Southeastern Baltic Sea. Environmental Research, Engineering and Management. 3(33), 73-79.
18. Kostianoy A.G., Litovchenko K. TS., Lavrova O. Yu., Mityagina M.I., Bocharova T. Yu., Lebedev S.A., Stanichny S.V., Soloviev D.M., Sirota A.M Pichuzhkina O.E. (2006). Operational satellite monitoring of oil spill pollution inthe southeastern Baltic Sea: 18 months experience. Environmental Research, Engineering and Management. 4(38), 70-77.
19. Lavrova O. YU, Kostianoy A.G., Lebedev S.A., Mityagina M.I., Ginzburg A.I., Sheremet N.A. (2011) Complex satellite monitoring of the Russian seas. Moscow: IKI RAN, 470 pp. (in Russian).
20. Lavrova O., Mityagina M., Bocharova T., Kostianoy A., Krovotyntsev V. (2009) Multisensor approach to operational oil pollution monitoring in coastal zones, In Proc. IEEE Int. Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS’09), 3, III-1386-III-1389.
21. Mityagina M. and Churumov A. (2006). Radar backscattering at sea surface covered with oil films. In: Global Developments in Environmental Earth Observation from Space (Ed. A. Marcal). Millpress. Rotterdam. Netherlands, pp.783-790.
22. Mityagina MI, Lavrova OYu, Kostianoy AG (2012) Long term satellite monitoring of the oil spillage pollution in the south-eastern Baltic Sea. (2012). ESA-SP-709 (CD-ROM), ES A Publications Division, European Space Agency, Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
23. Shcherbak, S.S., Lavrova, O.Y., Mityagina, M.I., Bocharova, T.Y., Krovotyntsev, V.A. and Ostrovskii, A.G. (2008). Multisensor satellite monitoring of seawater state and oil pollution in the northeastern coastal zone of the Black Sea, International Journal of Remote Sensing.29(21), 6331 - 6345.