The article covers the main models of traffic flow conditions, analyzes the condition estimation criteria, and provides the classification of models. The article provides the grounds for the use of the phase transition concept for traffic flow condition estimation. The models of the aggregate condition of free and congested traffic have been developed, the phase boundaries between free and congested traffic have been defined. Applicability conditions for the models of the aggregate condition of have been analyzed.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Larin, O.N. (2007). Methodology of organization and the functioning of regional transportation systems. Chelyabinsk: SUSU. - 205 p.
2. Daganzo, C.F. (1999). Possible explanations of phase transitions in highway traffic / C.F. Daganzo, MJ. Cassidy, R.L. Bertini, Transportation Research, Part A, V. 33, pp. 365-379.
3. Silyanov, V.V. (1977). Theory of traffic flows in road design and the organization of traffic. Moscow: Transport. 303 p.
4. Daganzo, C.F. (2002). A behavioral theory of multi-lane traffic flow. Part I: Long homogeneous freeway sections, Transportation Research, Part B, Vol. 36, pp. 131-158.
5. Daganzo, C.F. (2011). On the macroscopic stability of freeway traffic, Transportation Research, Part B, Vol. 45, pp. 782-788.
6. Stenbrink, P.A. (1974). Optimization of transport networks. London, New York, Sydney, Toronto: John Wiley&Sons. 284 p.
7. Gufan, J.M. (1982). Thermodynamic theory of phase transitions. Rostov na Donu: Rostov University Publishing House. 172 p.
8. Prigogine, I. A. and Andrews F.C. (1960). Boltzmann-like approach for traffic flow, Oper. Res., Vol. 8, pp. 798-797.
9. Shvetsov, V.I. and Aliyev, A.S. (2003). Mathematical modeling of the transport network boot. Moscow: Editorial URSS. 64 p.
10. Lukanin, V.N., Buslaev, A.P. and Yanshina, M.V. (2001). Transport flows and environment - 2. Moscow: INFRA-M. 646 p.
11. Kerner, B.S. and Rehborn, H. (1997). Experimental properties of phase transitions in traffic flow. Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 79, pp. 4030-4033.
12. Kerner, B. S., Klenov, S. L. and Hiller, A. (2006) Criterion for traffic phases in single vehicle data and empirical test of a microscopic three-phase traffic theory, J. Phys. A: Math. Gen., Vol. 39, pp. 2001-2020.