We propose a technical solution for fish movement based on the flow of water over a spill threshold. Such barriers are common in the Danube system. The proposed system has a range of operating components which are easily detachable from the spill threshold, are resistant to corrosion and will not harm the fish. In fact, if designed to complement swimming abilities of target fish, it should provide adequate passage for both adults and juveniles. If implemented correctly, the design may offer a solution to help displaced fish recolonize upstream habitats.
1. Aadland L. P., 1993 ‒ Stream habitat types: their fish assemblages and relationship to flow, North American Journal of Fisheries Management, 13, 790-806.
2. Aadland L. P., 2010 ‒ Reconnecting rivers: natural channel design in dam removals and fish passage, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, 15-17.
3. Barbosa F. A. R., Callisto M. and Găldean N., 2001 ‒ The diversity of benthic macroinvertebrates as an indicator of water quality and ecosystem health: a case study for Brazil, Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management, 4, 51-59.
4. Baxter R. M., 1977 ‒ Environmental effects of dams and impoundments, Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 8, 255-283.
5. Bănăduc D., Mărginean M. and Curtean-Bănăduc A., 2013 ‒ Geographical and human impact elements influence on the fish fauna of the Olteţ River (Romania), Transylvanian Review of Systematical and Ecological Research, 15.2, The Wetlands Diversity, Edit. Universităţii “Lucian Blagaˮ din Sibiu, ISSN 1841-7051, 9-44.
6. Bănăduc D., Rey Planellas S., Trichkova T. and Bănăduc A., 2016 ‒ The lower Danube River-Danube Delta-North West Black Sea: a pivotal area of major interest for the past, present and future of its fish fauna – A short review, Science of the Total Environment, 545-546, 137-151.
7. Bănărescu P. M., 1964 ‒ Fauna R. P. Române, Pisces-Osteichthyes, XIII, Edit. Academiei Române, 959. (in Romanian)
8. Bunn S. E. and Arthington A. H., 2002 ‒ Basic principles and ecologic consequences of altered flow regimes for aquatic biodiversity, Environmental management, 30, 4, 492-507.
9. Fischer P. and Cyffka B., 2014 ‒ Floodplain restoration on the upper Danube by re-establishing back water dynamics: first results of the hydrological monitoring, Erdkunde, 68, 1.
10. Ghinea D., 2002 ‒ Enciclopedia geografică a României, Edit. Enciclopedică, Bucureşti, 1456.
11. Katopodis C., 1990 ‒ Advancing the art of engineering fishways for upstream migrants, Proceedings of International Symposium on Fishways, Gifu, Japan, 19-28.
12. Kay E. L. and Voicu R. 2013 ‒ Developing an ecological and migration system for ichthyofauna on the Crişul Repede River near the City Hall of Oradea, Management of Sustainable Development, Sibiu, Romania, 5, 2, 27-33.
13. Kemp P. S. and O'Hanley J. R., 2010 – Procedures for evaluating and prioritising the removal of fish passage barriers: a synthesis, Fisheries Management and Ecology, 297-322.
14. Larinier M., 1983 ‒ Guide pour la conception des dispositifs de franchissement des barrages pour les poisons, Bulletin Français de la Peche et de la Pisciculture, 56, 1-39. (in French)
15. Lenhardt M., Jarić I., Kolarević S., Vuković-Gaćic B., Knezević-Vukčević J., Smedereva-Lalić M., Cvijanović G. and Gaćic Z., 2016 ‒ Impact of human activities on the status of the Danube River in Serbia: microbiological and ichthyofaunistic studies, Acta Oecologica Carpatica, IX, 151-176.
16. McKay S. K., Cooper A. R., Diebel M. W., Elkins D., Oldford G., Roghair C. and Wieferich D., 2016 ‒ Informing watershed connectivity barrier prioritization decisions: a synthesis, River Research and Applications, 33, 6, 847-862.
17. Nechifor R., Popa G.-O., Samu M., Dudu A., Bănăduc D., Costache M. and Georgescu S. E., 2017 ‒ The genetic profiles of two salmonid populations from Romania obtained through nuclear markers analysis, Animal Science and Biotechnologies, 50, 1, 74-78, ISSN: 2049-1891.
18. O’Doherty G., 2009 ‒ ADF and G fish passage program: summary of existing inventory and assessment data and gap analysis, September, Special Publication, 10-17.
19. Popa G.-O., Khalaf M., Dudu A., Curtean-Bănăduc A., Bănăduc D., Georgescu S. E. and Costache M., 2013 ‒ Brown trout's populations genetic diversity using mitochondrial markers in relatively similar geographical and ecological conditions – a Carpathian case study, Transylvanian Review of Systematical and Ecological Research, 15.2, The Wetlands Diversity, Edit. Universităţii “Lucian Blaga” din Sibiu, ISSN 1841-7051, 125-132, 2013.
20. Popa G.-O., Curtean-Bănăduc A., Bănăduc D., Florescu I. E., Burcea A., Dudu A., Georgescu S. E. and Costache M., 2016 ‒ Molecular markers reveal reduced genetic diversity in Romanian populations of Brown Trout, Salmo trutta L., 1758 (Salmonidae), Acta Zoologica Bulgarica, 68, 3, 399-406, ISSN 0324-0770.
21. Posea G. (coord.), 1982 ‒ Enciclopedia Geografică a României, Edit. Ştiinţifică şi Enciclopedică, Bucureşti, 847. (in Romanian)
22. Sedeño-Diaz J. E. and López-López E., 2009 ‒ Aquatic health assessment: a methodological proposal for Mexican aquatic ecosystems, Transylvanian Review of Systematical and Ecological Research, 8, The Wetlands Diversity, 201-214.
23. Sommerwerk N., Bloesch J., Paunović M., Baumgartner C., Venohr M., Schneider-Jacoby M., Hein T. and Tockner K., 2010 ‒ Managing the world's most international river: the Danube River basin, Marina and Freshwater Research, 61, 7, 736-748, doi.org/10.1071/MF09229.
24. Voicu R. and Merten E., 2014 ‒ Creating a system for upstream-downstream fish migration over the first and the second discharge sills downstream of Mănăştur dam on the Someşul Mic River (Cluj Napoca, Transylvania, Romania), Transylvanian Review of Systematical and Ecological Research, 16, 2, The Wetlands Diversity, 163-182.
25. Voicu R. and Breţcan P., 2014 ‒ Solution for fish migration on the Someşul Mic River upstream downstream of Mănăştur dam in Cluj Napoca, Annals of Valahia University of Târgovişte, Geographical Series, 14, 1, 125-132.
26. Voicu R. and Baki P., 2017 ‒ Improving upstream and downstream fish passage at Retiş dam on Hârtibaciu River ‒ Sibiu County (Transylvania), Annals of Valahia University of Târgovişte, Geographical Series, 17, 1, 47-57.
27. Voicu R., Costescu C., Voicu L. and Lengher-Bica N., 2015 ‒ Solution for ichthyofauna migration upstream-downstream of the two spillways located near Mănăştur dam on the Someşul Mic River in the Cluj Napoca City (România), Lakes, reservoirs and ponds, 9, 1, 43-55.