Lepeophtheirus europaensis Zeddam, Berrebi, Renaud, Raibaut and Gabrion, 1988 (Copepoda, Siphonostomatoida, Caligidae) an ectoparasite of flatfishes, was reported for the first time in the Sea of Marmara Coasts.
Some morphological characters of this parasitic copepod are given using original photographs and drawings. The general morphology, the mouth parts (antenna, mandible, maxillule, maxilla, and maxilliped), the outgrowth developed between the post-antennary process and the antenna, the setal and spinal formula from first leg to fourth leg in this study are compatible according to the specific literature.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Aydoğdu A. and Öztürk M. O., 2003 – Occurrence of Ligula intestinalis and Cucullanellus minutus in flounder, Platichthys flesus L., in Dalyan Lagoon (Karacabey, Bursa, Turkey) from September 1997 to December 1998, Bulletin of the European Fish Pathologists, 23, 287-290.
4. Cabral H. N., Vasconcelos R., Vinagre C., França S., Fonseca V., Maia A., Reis-Santos P., Lopes M., Ruano M., Campos J., Freitas V., Santos P. T. and Costa M. J., 2007 – Relative importance of estuarine flatfish nurseries along the Portuguese coast, Journal of Sea Research, 57, 209-217.
5. Froese R. and Pauly D., 2016 – FishBase, available on line at: www.fishbase.org, last accessed 11 December 2016.
6. Ho J. S., 2004 – Invasiveness of Sea Lice (Copepoda, Caligidae) in Marine Aquaculture, Journal of the Fisheries Society of Taiwan, 31, 2, 85-99.
7. Nielsen J., 1986 – Pleuronectidae, in Whitehead P. J. P. et al., (eds), Fishes of the North-eastern Atlantic and the Mediterranean (FNAM), Unesco, Paris, III, 1299-1307, Wheeler A. – 1978, Key to the Fishes of Northern Europe. A guide to the identification of more than 350 species, Frederick Warne (Publishers) Ltd., London, 380.
8. Oğuz M. C., 1991 – A parasitological investigation on flounders (Pleuronectes flesus luscus L. 1758) which were caught in Ekinli Lagoon, Turkish Journal of Zoology, 15, 150-163.
9. Oğuz M. C. and Öktener A., 2007 – Four parasitic Crustacean species from marine fishes of Turkey, Turkish Journal of Parasitology, 31, 79-83.
10. Öztürk T., 2005 – Determination of parasite fauna of flounder Platichthys flesus L., 1758 and toothcarp Aphanius chantrei Gaillard, 1895 living in Sarıkum Lagoon (Sinop, Türkiye), Ph.D. Thesis, Ondokuz Mayıs University, Institute of Science, 255. (in Turkish)
11. WoRMS (eds), 2016 – World Register of Marine Species. Available on line at: http://www.marinespecies.org, last accessed 11 December 2016.
12. Zeddam J. L., Berrebi P., Renaud F., Raibaut A. and Gabrion C., 1988 – Characterization of two species of Lepeophtheirus (Copepoda, Caligidae) from flatfishes, Description of Lepeophtheirus europaensis sp. nov, Parasitology, 96, 1, 129-144.