Lepeophtheirus europaensis Zeddam, Berrebi, Renaud, Raibaut and Gabrion, 1988 (Copepoda, Siphonostomatoida, Caligidae) an ectoparasite of flatfishes, was reported for the first time in the Sea of Marmara Coasts.
Some morphological characters of this parasitic copepod are given using original photographs and drawings. The general morphology, the mouth parts (antenna, mandible, maxillule, maxilla, and maxilliped), the outgrowth developed between the post-antennary process and the antenna, the setal and spinal formula from first leg to fourth leg in this study are compatible according to the specific literature.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Aydoğdu A. and Öztürk M. O. 2003 – Occurrence of Ligula intestinalis and Cucullanellus minutus in flounder Platichthys flesus L. in Dalyan Lagoon (Karacabey Bursa Turkey) from September 1997 to December 1998 Bulletin of the European Fish Pathologists 23 287-290.
2. Bailly N. 2008 – Platichthys flesus (Linnaeus 1758) in Froese R. and Pauly D. (eds) (2016). FishBase accessed through: World Register of Marine Species at http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=127141 on 2017-01-02.
3. Boxshall G. 2015 – Lepeophtheirus europaensis Zeddam Berrebi Renaud Raibaut and Gabrion 1988 in Walter T. C. and Boxshall G. World of Copepods database accessed through: World Register of Marine Species at http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=135775 on 2016-02-11.
4. Cabral H. N. Vasconcelos R. Vinagre C. França S. Fonseca V. Maia A. Reis-Santos P. Lopes M. Ruano M. Campos J. Freitas V. Santos P. T. and Costa M. J. 2007 – Relative importance of estuarine flatfish nurseries along the Portuguese coast Journal of Sea Research 57 209-217.
5. Froese R. and Pauly D. 2016 – FishBase available on line at: www.fishbase.org last accessed 11 December 2016.
6. Ho J. S. 2004 – Invasiveness of Sea Lice (Copepoda Caligidae) in Marine Aquaculture Journal of the Fisheries Society of Taiwan 31 2 85-99.
7. Nielsen J. 1986 – Pleuronectidae in Whitehead P. J. P. et al. (eds) Fishes of the North-eastern Atlantic and the Mediterranean (FNAM) Unesco Paris III 1299-1307 Wheeler A. – 1978 Key to the Fishes of Northern Europe. A guide to the identification of more than 350 species Frederick Warne (Publishers) Ltd. London 380.
8. Oğuz M. C. 1991 – A parasitological investigation on flounders (Pleuronectes flesus luscus L. 1758) which were caught in Ekinli Lagoon Turkish Journal of Zoology 15 150-163.
9. Oğuz M. C. and Öktener A. 2007 – Four parasitic Crustacean species from marine fishes of Turkey Turkish Journal of Parasitology 31 79-83.
10. Öztürk T. 2005 – Determination of parasite fauna of flounder Platichthys flesus L. 1758 and toothcarp Aphanius chantrei Gaillard 1895 living in Sarıkum Lagoon (Sinop Türkiye) Ph.D. Thesis Ondokuz Mayıs University Institute of Science 255. (in Turkish)
11. WoRMS (eds) 2016 – World Register of Marine Species. Available on line at: http://www.marinespecies.org last accessed 11 December 2016.
12. Zeddam J. L. Berrebi P. Renaud F. Raibaut A. and Gabrion C. 1988 – Characterization of two species of Lepeophtheirus (Copepoda Caligidae) from flatfishes Description of Lepeophtheirus europaensis sp. nov Parasitology 96 1 129-144.