In this study, the distribution and abundance of Artemia salina in 10 different stations of the Salt Lake basin were investigated. In addition, its relationship to pH, dissolved oxygen, temperature, electrical conductivity and water levels were analyzed. Field studies were carried out from July to August of 2010. Artemia salina was observed in five of these stations. Artemia salina was not seen in some stations that have high electrical conductivity. It is determined that, in the station named Tersakan Lake where electrical conductivity was 154 mS/cm, Artemia salina is more abundant when compared to the other stations. But as underground water pumps that are built for the irrigation of agricultural lands decrease water levels, Artemia salina’s life is under threat.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Başbuğ Y., 1999 – Reproduction characteristics of Artemia salina (L., 1758) in Salt Lake, Turkish Journal of Zoology, 23, 2, 635-640.
2. Bengtson D., Leger P. and Sorgeloos P., 1991 – Use of Artemia as food source, in Browne R., Sorgeloos A. P. and Trotman C. N. A. (eds), Artemia Biology, CRC Pres. Boca Raton, Florida, USA, 255-285.
3. Koru E., 2004 – Çamaltı saltlası (İzmir, Türkiye) ekosisteminde Artemia ve önemi, E.U. Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 21, 187-189.
4. Koru E., 2006 – Ayvalık Saltlası’ndaki (Balıkesir/Türkiye) Artemia parthenogenetica’nın Yağ Asitleri Üzerine Bir Araştırma, E.U. Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 23, 185-187. (in Turkish)
5. Lengyel E., Oprean L., Tiţa O., Iancu R. and Iancu M., 2012 – Biodiversity of the microorgamisms existing in the salt lakes at Ocna Sibiului (Romania) and Chott El Jerid (Tunisia), Transylvanian Review of Systematical and Ecological Research, 14, The Wetlands Diversity, 25-32.
6. Triantaphyllidis G. V., Abatzopoulos T. J. and Sorgeloos P., 1998 – Review of the biogeography of the genus Artemia (Crustacea, Anostraca), Journal of Biogeography, 25, 213-226.
7. Van Stappen G., 2002 – Zoogeography, in Artemia: Basic and Applied Biology, Abatzopoulos et al. eds.), Kluwer, The Netherlands, 171-224.
8. Xin N., Sun J., Zhang B., Van Stappen G. V., Triantaphyllidis G. V. and Sorgeloos P., 1994 – International study on Artemia, New survey of Artemia resources in the People’s Republic of China, International Journal of Salt Lake Research, 3, 105-112.