It is evident that practice and praxis have significantly contributed to knowledge generation in the Tanzanian coastal belt, especially where Integrated Coastal Management (ICM) programmes have been adopted and practiced such as Tanga, Dar es Salaam, Mtwara, Lindi, and the Coastal region (KICAMP, 2001; NICEMS, 2003). In spite of such learning evidences, users of generated natural resource data in the coastal area tend to employ practice and praxis interchangeably, conflating the two concepts together; leading to a situation where one may hardly ascribe generated knowledge appropriately to contexts that favour occurrence of each of the two constructs. The paper adopts ethnographic approach in a defined coastal case study to examine contexts and situations that signals “conflationˮ and it employs examples that may help readers of the article to disambiguate praxis from practice.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Berjack P. Campbell G. Huckett B. and Pammenter N. 2011 − In the Mangroves of South Africa KZN: WESSA.
2. Bourdieu P. 2004 − Science of Science and Reflexivity Cambridge Polity Press.
3. Eklöf J. S. Torre-Castro M. Nilsson C. and Rönnbäck P. 2006 − How do seaweed farms influence local fishery catches in a seagrass-dominated setting in Chwaka Bay Zanzibar? Aquatic Living Resources 19 137-147.
4. Hardin G. 1968 − The Tragedy of the Commons Science 162 3859 1243-1248.
5. Hill D. Fasham M. Tucker G. Shewry M. and Shaw P. (eds) 2005 − Handbook of biodiversity methods: Survey evaluation and monitoring New York: Cambridge University Press.
6. Hodgson E. W. Stanley C. A. Roe A. H. and Downey D. 2010 − African Honey Bees Logan Utah State University.
7. Julius A. 2005 − Monitoring Programme for resource condition environmental and biological parameters for Mnazi-Bay Ruvuma Estuary Marine Park (MBREMP) Tanzania Research Report submitted for the requirement of United Nations University Fisheries Training Programme.
8. Kemmis S. and Smith T. J. (eds) 2008 − Enabling Praxis Challenges for education Rotterdam: SensePublishers.
9. Kinondoni Integrated Coastal Area Management Programme 2001 − Inception Report Dar es Salaam: SSPA.
10. Kinondoni Integrated Coastal Area Management Programme 2003 − Annual Progress Report Dar es Salaam: SSPA.
11. Kinondoni Integrated Coastal Area Management Programme 2004 − Phase One Final Report Dar es Salaam.
12. Kinondoni Integrated Monitoring Plan (KICAMP) 2005 − Dar es Salaam: Dynamite in KICAMP area University of Dar es Salaam.
13. Kinondoni Integrated Monitoring Plan (KIMP) 2005 − Dar es Salaam: FAST University of Dar es Salaam.
14. Kolb D. A. 1984 − Experiential learning: Experience as the source of learning and development New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
15. Melita A. Samoilys M. A. and Kanyange N. W. 2008 − Natural resource dependence livelihoods and development: Perceptions from Tanga Tanzania IUCN ESARO 2008.
16. National Integrated Coastal Environmental Management Strategy (NICEMS) 2003 − Dar es Salaam: Tanzania Coastal Management Partnership.
17. National Environmental Education and Communication Strategy 2005-2009 − Dar es Salaam: Rihal’s General Supplies.
18. Report on the Implementation of the Mangrove Restoration Project in Mkinga District 2010 − Envirocare FEA and TACOECONT Dar es Salaam.
19. Richards L. 2005 − Handling Qualitative Data. A practical guide London: Sage.
20. Rice M. A. Mmochi A. J. Zubieri L. and Savoie R. M. 2006 − Aquaculture in Tanzania World Aquaculture 37 50-57.
21. Rice M. and Pinnegar S. 2012 − Reflection under construction: Using the handbook of reflection and reflective inquiry in practice Reflective Practice International and Multidisciplinary Perspectives 13 821-827.
22. Scheltinga D. M. Counihan R. Moss A. Cox M. and Bennet J. 2004 − User’s Guide to Estuarine Coastal and Marine Indicators for Regional Natural Resource Management Cooperative Research Centre for Coastal Zone Estuary and Waterway Management Science Daily October 2005 Retrieved on 15th January 2013 from www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005
23. Talbot F. and Wilkinson C. 2001 − Coral reefs mangroves and sea-grasses: A source book for managers Australian Institute of Marine Science.
24. Tanga Coastal Zone Conservation and Development Programme (TCZCDP): Annual Progress Report 1st April 2004 – 31st March 2005.
25. Tanzania Coastal Management Partnership – TCMP 1998 − Proceedings of the scientific meeting on marine and coastal ecosystem risk assessment An approach for linking Science to Integrated Coastal Management Zanzibar: TCMP and IMS.
26. Tanzania Coastal Management Partnership (TCMP) 1999a − Initial Elements of a Coastal Policy Proposed Vision Principles Goals and Strategies Working document no. 5018 Dar es Salaam: TCMP Support Unit.
27. Tanzania Coastal Management Partnership (TCMP) 1999b − Options for a National Integrated Coastal management Policy Working document no. 5026 Dar es Salaam: TCMP Support Unit.
28. Teddie C. and Yu F. 2007 − Mixed Methods Sampling. A Typology with Examples Journal of Mixed Methods Research 1 77.
29. The Western Indian Ocean Marine Science Association (WIOMSA) Monitoring mangroves and sea grasses in Marine Protected Areas A Toolkit for Western Indian Ocean:www.wiomsa.org/mpatoolkit/Themessheers/G4_MonitoringAccessed in January 2011.
30. Vershuren P. and Doorewaard H. 2010 − Designing a Research Project (2nd Ed.) Den Haag: Eleven International Publishing.
31. Wagner G. M. Mgaya Y. D. Akwilapo F. D. Ngowo R. G. Sekadende B. C. Allen A. Zollet E. A. and Mackentley N. 2001 − Restoration of coral reef and mangrove ecosystems at Kunduchi and Mbweni Dar es Salaam with community participation in Richmond M. D. and Francis J. (eds) Marine Science Development in Tanzania and Eastern Africa Dar es Salaam: University of Dar es Salaam 467-488.
32. Wagner G. M. 2005 − Participatory monitoring of changes in coastal and marine biodiversity Indian Journal of Marine Sciences 34 1 136-146.
33. Wals A. E. J. (ed.) 2007 − Social learning towards a sustainable world Wageningen: Wageningen Academic Publishers.
34. Wenger E. 1998 − Communities of Practice: Learning meaning and identity Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
35. Yin R. K. 2012 − Case Study Research Design and Methods London Sage.