Algal bio-indication is commonly used in water quality assessment but can also help in assessing the impact of hydrology on freshwater wetland ecosystems.We identified 350 species and infraspecific taxa of algae from nine taxonomic divisions (Cyanoprokaryota, Chrysophyta, Euglenophyta,Dinophyta,Xanthophyta,Cryptophyta,Bacillariophyta,Chlorophyta,Charophyta) in 121 phytoplankton samples collected between 2007-2013 from seven lakes in the wetlands of the Regional Landscape Park “Slavyansky Resort”, Ukraine. The algal species richness and phytoplankton biomass decreased as water salinity increased. In turn the water salinity was influenced by the inflow of groundwater, karst fracture and by the alluvial water tributaries of a paleoriver that affects the formation processes of lake-spring sulphide mud from the resort, which is often used for therapeutic purposes.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Barinova S. Tavassi M. Glassman H. and Nevo E. 2010a - Algal indication of pollution in the Lower Jordan River Israel Applied Ecology and Environmental Research 8 1 19-38.
2. Barinova S. S. Yehuda G. and Nevo E. 2010b - Comparative analysis of algal communities of northern and southern Israel as bearing on ecological consequences of climate change Journal of Arid Environments 74 765-776.
3. Barinova S. S. Nevo E. and Bragina T. M. 2011 - Ecological assessment of wetland ecosystems of northern Kazakhstan on the basis of hydrochemistry and algal biodiversity Acta Botanica Croatica 70 2 215-244.
4. Barinova S. Klymiuk V. and Lyalyuk N. in press - Ecology of phytoplankton in the Regional Landscape Park “Slavyansky Resort” Ukraine Applied Ecology and Environmental Research.
5. Globan B. 1987 - Unified methods of investigation of water quality Part 1 Methods for chemical analysis of water 1 Basic methods Moscow Russia: Printing house of the Administrative office of the secretariat of the CMEA 1244. (in Russian)
6. Hammer U. T. 1986 - Saline Lake Ecosystems of the World V. 59 Dordrecht Netherlands: Springer Science and Business Media 616.
7. Holopov A. P. Shashel V. A. Perov U. M. and Nastenko V. P. 2002 - Fangotherapy Krasnodar Russia: Newspaper publishingb “Periodicals of Kuban” 284. (in Russian).
8. Klymiuk V. Barinova S. and Lyalyuk N. 2014 - Diversity and Ecology of Algal Communities from the Regional Landscape Park “Slavyansky Resort” Ukraine Research and Reviews: Journal of Botanical Science 3 2 9-26.
9. Klymiuk V. and Barinova S. in press - Phytoplankton communities in ecological assessment of lacustrine ecosystems in the wetland “Slavyansky Resort” Ukraine Journal of Wetlands Biodiversity.
10. Krupa E. Slyvinskiy G. and Barinova S. 2014 - The effect of climatic factors on long-term dynamics of phytoplankton zooplankton and macrozoobenthos of the Balkhash Lake (Kazakhstan Central Asia) Advanced Studies in Biology 6 3 115-136.
11. Kurulenko S. S. and Tretyakov S. V. (eds) 2008 - Donbass reserved. Research and Information Guide Atlas 2nd edition Donetsk Ukraine: Donetsk Branch of State Institution “State Ecological Institute of the Ministry of Environment of Ukraine” 67-69 125-126. (in Ukrainian)
12. Lyalyuk N. and Klymiuk V. 2011 - Phytoplankton of salt lakes of Slavyansk (Ukraine) Algology 21 3 321-328. (in Russian)
13. Naumenko Y. V. and Makeeva E. G. 2011 - The algae of the saltish Listvenki Lake (area of “Podzaploty” Reserve “Khakassky”) The flora of Asiatic Russia 2 8 28-33. (in Russian)
14. Popkov A. I. Morenko U. I. and Popkovskaya L. G. 2005 - The development of processes of flooding and karsting in the territory of Slavyansk Donetsk region Artemovsk Ukraine: Foundations of GRGP “Donetskgeologiya” 1-8. (in Russian)
15. Tsarenko P. M. Vasser S. P. and Nevo E. (eds) 2006 - Algae of Ukraine: diversity nomenclature taxonomy ecology and geography 1 Cyanoprocaryota Euglenophyta Chrysophyta Xanthophyta Raphidophyta Phaeophyta Dinophyta Cryptophyta Glaucocystophyta and Rhodophyta Ruggell: A. R. G. Gantner Verlag 716.
16. Tsarenko P. M. Vasser S. P. and Nevo E. (eds) 2009 - Algae of Ukraine: diversity nomenclature taxonomy ecology and geography 2 Bacillariophyta Ruggell: A. R. G. Gantner Verlag 413.