The aim of the study was a hydromorphological valorisation of the river valley in the Roztocze region using the British method - River Habitat Survey (RHS). As a result of field research two numerical indicators HMS (Habitat Modification Score) and HQA (Habitat Quality Assessment) were identified and purity water classes were defined. The river did not fulfil the requirements of the Water Framework Directive, because its state was defined as poor and moderate. On the base of physical and chemical parameters, in the majority of water studied the watercourses were classified to the first class of purity. Only in one segment waters were below the first class, or even out of class.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Allan J. D., Erickson D. I. and Fay J., 1997 - The influence of catchment land use on stream integrity across multiple spatial scales, Freshwater Biology, 37, 149-161.
2. Allgaier G. and Stegmann R., 2006 - Preliminary assessment of old landfills, in Proceedings of Seminario-Workshop Tecnologie per la riduzione degli impatti e la bonifica delle discariche, Montegrotto Terme, Padova, Italia June, 7-9.
3. Bajkiewicz-Grabowska E. and Mikulski Z., 2007 - General hydrology, PWN Science Publishing Company, Warsaw, 4th edition, changed zmienione and revised, reprint. (in Polish)
4. Barling R. O. and Moore I. O., 1994 - Role of buffer strips in management of waterway pollution: a review, Environmental Management, 18, 4, 543-558.
5. Bielak S., Baran K., Kulig N. and Ścierska E., 2012 - Application of the River Habitat Survey in the assessment and classification of the hydromorphological status of rivers and streams of southern Polish, in accordance with the requirements of the Water Framework Directive Czasopismo Techniczne, Środowisko, 23, 3-16. (in Polish)
6. Boaventura R., Pedro A. M., Coimbra J. and Lencastre E., 1997 - Trout farm effluents: characterization and impact on the streams, Environmental Pollution, 95, 3, 379-387.
7. Byczkowski A., 1999 - Hydrology, I, SGGW Publishing Company, Warsaw.
8. Carr O. J. and Goulder R., 1990 - Fish-farm effluents in rivers - II. Effects on inorganic nutrients, algae and the macrophyte Ranunculus penicillatus, Water Research, 24, 5, 639-647.
9. Chmielewski T. J., 2004a - River valleys as the accumulation zone of contamination and corridors of movement of pollutants in the landscape, in Cieszewska A. (ed.), Patches and corridors as part of the landscape structure ‒ the possibilities and limitations of the concept, Problemy Ekologii Krajobrazu, XIV, Wyd. SGGW Warszawa, 176-177. (in Polish)
10. Chmielewski T. J., 2004b - New quality of landscape: ecology-culture-technology, Zesz. Nauk. Komit. “Człowiek i Środowisko” przy Prezydium PAN, no. 36, Warszawa-Lublin, 1-158. (in Polish)
11. Chmielewski T. J., 2005 - The diversity of landscape of Lublin Region: Problems of assessment and protection, Przyroda i Człowiek, z. 12, Stow Opolskie Centrum Edukacji Ekology Opole, 17-34. (in Polish)
12. Chmielewski T. J., Sowińska-Świerkosz B., Kułak A. and Chmielewski S., 2014 - Landscapes of the Roztocze region: Natural and Cultural Heritage, Scientific monograph, Publishing house of the University of Life Sciences in Lublin, 194.
13. Curtean-Bănăduc A., Schneider-Binder E. and Bănăduc D., 2014 - The importance of the riverine ligneous vegetation for the Danube Basin lotic ecosystems, in Cianfaglione K. (ed.), L’importanza degli Alberi e del Bosco. Cultura, scienza e coscienza del territorio, Edit. Temi, Trento, Italia, ISBN: 978-88-973772-63-9, I-II, 187-210.
14. Dhote S. and Dixit S., 2009 - Water quality improvement through macrophytes - a review, Environmental Monitoring Assessment, 152, 149-153.
15. Directive 2000/60/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2000 establishing a framework for Community action in the field of water Policy, Official Journal L 327, 22/12/2000, 0001-0073.
16. Goran V. and Dušan M., 2012 - Waste management, direction of future scientific research, Reciklaža i Održivi Razvoj, 5, 1, 30-38. (in Polish)
17. Jakubínský J., 2014 - The human impact on the current hydromorfological states of small watercourses in the Czech Republic, Ecohydrology and Hydrobiology, 14, 4, 313-322, doi:
17. Jakubínský J., 2014 - The human impact on the current hydromorfological states of small watercourses in the Czech Republic, Ecohydrology and Hydrobiology, 14, 4, 313-322, doi:10.1016/j.ecohyd.2014.08.001.)| false
19. Laner D., Crest M., Scharff H., Morris J. and Barlaz M., 2012 - A review of approaches for the long-term management of municipal waste landfills, Waste Management, 32, 3, 498-512.
20. Ławniczak A. E. and Gebler D., 2011 - Supporting hydromorphological elements, in assessment of the ecological status of water catchment Wel. Guidelines for integrated assessment of the ecological status of rivers and lakes for the purpose of management plans for the river basin, Soszka H., (ed.), Wyd. Instytutu Rybactwa Śródlądowego, Olsztyn, s. 127-139. (in Polish)
21. Maślanko W. and Sender J., 2014 - Hydromorfological valorisation of the Bochotniczanka River valley as a potential valuable ecological corridor in the Lublin region, TEKA, Commission of Protection and Formation of Natural Environment, Polish Academy of Sciences, Branch in Lublin, XI, 90-98.
22. Newson M. D., Clark M. J., Sear D. A. and Brookes A., 1998 - The geomorphological basis for classifying rivers, Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems, 8, 415-430.
23. Osowska J. and Kalisz J., 2011 - Use of the method of the River Habitat Survey to exploit hydromorphological of the river Kłodnica Górnictwo i geologia, 6, 3, 141-156. (in Polish)
24. Raven P. J., Holmes N. T. H., Dawson F. H. and Everard M., 1998 - Quality assessment using River Habitat Survey data, Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems, 8, 477-499, John Wiley and Sons, Ltd., Great Britain, 477-499.
25. Raven P. J., Holmes N. T. H., Naura M. and Dawson F. H., 2000 - Using river habitat survey for environmental assessment and catchment planning in UK, Hydrobiologia, 422, 359-367.
26. Regulation, 2011 - Regulation of the Minister of Environment of 9th November 2011, On the classification of ecological status, ecological potential and chemical status of surface water bodies, Acts Laws no. 258, item 1549.
27. River Habitat Survey, 1997 - Field survey guidance manual, Environmental Agency, Bristol.
28. River Habitat Survey in Britain and Ireland, 2003 - Field survey guidance manual, Environment Agency, Warrington, 1-74.
29. Rzętała M., 2008 - The assessment of touristic and recreational significance of water reservoirs (Upper Silesia region), in shaping the geographical environment and nature protection in industrialized and urbanized areas. WBiOŚ UŚ, WNoZ UŚ, Katowice - Sosnowiec, s, Publishing house of Silesia University, Katowice, 94-105. (in Polish)
30. Sender J. and Maslanko W., 2014 ‒ Diversity of aquatic ecosystems in urban areas - public expectations, Transylvanian Review of Systematical and Ecological Research, The Wetlands Diversity, 16.1, 125-134.
31. Szoszkiewicz K., Zgoła T., Jusik Sz., Hryc-Jusik B., Dawson F. H. and Raven P., 2009a - Hydromorphological assessment of flowing waters. Guide to the fieldwork according to the method River Habitat Survey in Polish conditions Warrington, Poznań, 133. (in Polish)
32. Szoszkiewicz K., Zgoła T., Giełczewski M. and Stelmaszczyk M., 2009b - Application of the River Habitat Survey to exploit hydromorphological status and impact assessment of planned re-naturalization activities, Nauka, Przyroda, Technologie, 3, 3, 1-9. (in Polish)
33. Walker J., Diamond M. and Naura M., 2002 - The development of physical habitat objectives, Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems, 12, 381-390.
34. Wiesmann D., Scheid H. and Pfeffer E., 1988 - Water pollution with phosphorus of dietary origin by intensively fed rainbow trout (Salmo gairdneri Rich.), Aquaculture, 69, 3, 263-270