For the investigation of fish from Karkheh River, sampling was performed in a six month period from August 2014 to January 2015. All sampled fish were measured for biometrical values (length and weight). General results of the sampling and identification of the fish showed the presence of 14 species from four fish families of Cyprinidae, Mugilidae, Siluridae and Macrostomidae, out of which the Cyprinidae family were the most frequent of the sampled fish. The most significant abundance belongs to Cyprinus carpio. The fish sampled in the present study were: Liza abu, Ctenopharyngodon idella, Barbel sp., Cyprinion macrostomum, Barbus sharpeyi, Hypophthalmichthys molitrix, Barbus esocinus, Barbus barbulus, Barbus luteus, Barbus grypus, Cyprinus carpio, Silurus triostegus, Mastacembelus circumcinctus and Capoeta trutta. Shannon Index results showed that the fish biodiversity in the studyed area followed a uniform path and additionally that the considered area at the studied period has good fish biodiversity.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Armantrout N. B. 1980 – The freshwater fishes of Iran PhD Thesis Oregon Statein University Corvallis Oregon 472.
2. Berg L. S. 1948 – Freshwater fishes of U.S.S.R. and adjacent countries 1 Trady Institute Acad Nauk U.S.S.R. 496.
3. Berg L. S. 1949 – Freshwater Fishes Of Iran and Adjacent Countries Trudy Zoology Icheskogo Instituta Academii Nauk U.S.S.R. 8 783-858. (in Russian)
4. Coad B. W. 1980 – A Provisional Cheklist of the Freshwater Fishes of Iran Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society 76 1 86-105.
5. Coad B. W. 1982 – A new genus and species of Cichild endemic to Southern Iran Copia 1 28-37.
6. Coad B. W. 1995 – The Freshwater Fishes of Iran The academy of Science of The Czech Republic Brno 64.
7. Curtean-Bănăduc A. Bănăduc D. and Bucşa C. 2007 – Watershed Management - implications risks solutions Strategies to Enhance Environmental Security in Transition Countries NATO Security trough Science Series - C: Environmental Security Springer ISBN 978-1-4020-5995-7 225-238.
8. Lagler K. F. Bardach J. E. and Miller R. R. 1962 – Ichthyology John Wiley and Sons New York 545.
9. Nelson J. S. 1984 – Fishes of the World 2th edition A wiley interscience publication Printed in the United States of America 523.
10. Nelson J. S. 1994 – Fishes of the World Third Edition New York John Wiley and Sons Inc. 600.
11. Saadati M. A. G. 1977 – Taxonomy and distribution of the freshwater fishes of Iran M.S. Thesis Colorado State University Fort Collins XIII 212.
12. Shannon C. E. and Wiener W. 1963 – The Mathematical theory of communication University of Juionis Press Urbana 117.
13. Vladykov V. D. 1964 – Report to the government of Iran on the inland fisheries especially of the Caspian Sea with special reference to sturgeon Food and Agriculture Organization Rome Report FAO/EPTA 1818 51.