To create awareness of the benign lesions from which osteosarcoma may arise. Osteosarcoma is a rare tumour of bone the etiology of which is poorly understood, but it may arise from benign lesions. Malignant transformation in hemangiomas, in the absence of prior radiation, is exceedingly rare and the resulting neoplasm is usually an angiosarcoma. We report the case of a 30-year-old woman where investigation for thigh pain revealed a distal femoral hemangioma. She represented with pain and mass 18 years later, leading to a confirmed diagnosis of osteosarcoma at the same site.
Osteosarcomas may arise from a variety of benign lesions. In this article we report the case of a histologically confirmed hemangioma which subsequently underwent malignant change into an osteosarcoma.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Rossi S, Fletcher CD. Angiosarcoma arising in hemangioma/vascular malformation: Report of four cases and review of the literature. Am J Surg Pathol. 2002; 26:1319-29.
2. O bana Y, Tanji K, Furuta I, Yamazumi T, Hashimoto S, Kikuchi H, Tanaka S, Ohba Y. A case of malignant transformation in thoracic vertebral hemangioma following repetitive irradiation and extraction. Pathol Int. 1996; 46:71-8.
3. Savage SA, Mirabello L. Using epidemiology and genomics to understand osteosarcoma etiology. Sarcoma. 2011; 2011:548151.
4. Ueno H, Ariji E, Tanaka T, Kanda S, Mori S, Goto M, Mizuno A, Okabe H, Nakamura T. Imaging features of maxillary osteoblastoma and its malignant transformation. Skeletal Radiol. 1994; 23:509-12.
5. E ckardt JJ, Ivins JC, Perry HO, Unni KK. Osteosarcoma arising in heterotopic ossification of dermatomyositis: Case report and review of the literature. Cancer. 1981; 48:1256-61.
6. Brien EW, Mirra JM, Kessler S, Suen M, Ho JK, Yang WT. Benign giant cell tumor of bone with osteosarcomatous transformation (“dedifferentiated” primary malignant GCT): Report of two cases. Skeletal Radiol. 1997; 26:246-55.
7. A ho HJ, Aho AJ, Einola S. Aneurysmal bone cyst, a study of ultrastructure and malignant transformation. Virchows Arch A Pathol Anat Histol. 1982; 395:169-79.
8. N ojima T, Yamashiro K, Fujita M, Isu K, Ubayama Y, Yamawaki S. A case of osteosarcoma arising in a solitary osteochondroma. Acta Orthop Scand. 1991; 62:290-2.
9. A boulafia AJ, Brooks F, Piratzky J, Weiss S. Osteosarcoma arising from heterotopic ossification after an electrical burn. A case report. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1999; 81:564-70.