Soft Tissue Giant Cell Tumor of Low Malignant Potential of the Neck: A Case Report and Review of the Literature / Boyunun Düşük Malign Potansiyelli Dev Hücreli Tümörü: Olgu Sunumu ve Literatürün Gözden Geçirilmesi
Giant cell tumor of soft parts is a rare tumor that is clinically and histologically similar to giant cell tumor of the bone. We present a 53-year-old female with a giant cell tumor of low malignant potential arising from the neck. The clinicopathological features and the importance of immunohistochemistry in the differential diagnosis with other giant cell rich tumors was discussed.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Fletcher CDM Unni KK Mertens F. Pathology and genetics of tumors of soft tissue and bone. WHO Classification of Tumors.Lyon: IARC Pres; 2002. 310-2.
2. Weiss SW Goldblum JR (Eds). Enzinger and Weiss’s soft tissue tumours. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2008. 398-401.
3. Salm R Sissons HA. Giant cell tumors of soft tissues. J Pathol. 1972;107:27-39.
4. Guccion JG Enzinger FM. Malignant giant cell tumor of soft parts. An analysis of 32 cases. Cancer. 1972;29:1518-29.
5. Folpe AL Morris RJ Weiss SW. Soft tissue giant cell tumor of low malignant potential: A proposal for the reclassification of malignant giant cell tumor of soft parts. Mod Pathol. 1999;12: 894-902.
6. O’Connell JX Wehrli BM Nielsen GP Rosenberg AE. Giant cell tumors of soft tissue: A clinicopathologic study of 18 benign and malignant tumors. Am J Surg Pathol. 2000;24:386-95.
7. Oliveira AM Dei Tos AP Fletcher CD Nascimento AG. Primary giant cell tumor of soft tissues: A study of 22 cases. Am J Surg Pathol. 2000;24:248-56.
8. R odriguez-Peralto JL Lopez-Barea F Fernandez-Delgado J.Primary giant cell tumor of soft tissues similar to bone giant cell tumor: A case report and literature review. Pathol Int. 2001;51: 60-3.
9. M ay SA Deavers MT Resetkova E Johnson D Albarracin CT.Giant cell tumor of soft tissue arising in breast. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2007;11:345-9.
10. Boneschi V Parafioriti A Armiraglio E Gaiani F Brambilla L.Primary giant cell tumor of soft tissue of the groin - a case of 46 years duration. J Cutan Pathol. 2009;36(Suppl 1):20-4.
11. Tuluc M Zhang X Inniss S. Giant cell tumor of the nasal cavity: Case report. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2007;264:205-8.
12. Ryś J Kruczak A Marczyk E Skotnicki P Moskal J Ambicka A Harazin-Lechowska A Wasilewska A Vogelgesang M Dyczek S. Primary soft tissue giant cell tumour of the neck. Cytological and histological characteristics of the tumour and differential diagnosis. Pol J Pathol. 2009;60:98-104 quiz 105.
13. Pepper T Falla L Brennan PA. Soft tissue giant cell tumour of low malignant potential arising in the masseter-a rare entity in the head and neck. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010;48:149-51.
14. Wieneke JA Gannon FH Heffner DK Thompson LD. Giant cell tumor of the larynx: A clinicopathologic series of eight cases and a review of the literature. Mod Pathol. 2001;14:1209-15.
15. Werner JA Harms D Beigel A. Giant cell tumor of the larynx: Case report and review of the literature. Head Neck. 1997;19: 153-7.
16. Hoang MP Rogers BB Albores-Saavedra J. Giant cell tumor of the skin: A morphologic and immunohistochemical study of five cases. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2002;6:288-93.
17. Trabelsi A Hammedi F Slama A Abdelkarim SB Beizig N Khochtali H Taher YM Korbi S. Giant cell tumor of soft tissue of neck: A case report. North Am J Med Sci. 2009;1:319-20.
18. Nascimento AG: Giant cell tumor of soft tissue. In: Fletcher CDM Unni KK Mertens F editors. World Health Organization Classification of Tumours. Pathology and genetics of tumours of soft tissue and bone. Lyon: IARC Press; 2002. 118-9.
19. Beal M Mayerson J Wakely PE Jr. Fine-needle aspiration cytology of giant cell tumor of soft tissue (soft tissue giant cell tumor of low malignant potential). Ann Diagn Pathol. 2003;7:365-9.
20. Guillou L Folpe AL. Fibroblastic and fibrohistiocytic tumors of soft tissue. In: Folpe AL Inwards CY editors. Bone and soft tissue pathology - A volume in the Foundations in Diagnostic Pathology Series. 1st ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Inc; 2010.
21. Katsikeris N Kakarantza-Angelopoulou E Angelopoulos AP.Peripheral giant cell granuloma: Clinicopathologic study of 224 new cases and review of 959 reported cases. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1988;17: 94-9.
22. Lau YS Sabokbar A Gibbons CL Giele H Athanasou N.Phenotypic and molecular studies of giant-cell tumors of bone and soft tissue. Hum Pathol. 2005;36: 945-54.