Our paper focuses on the role of the Internet in older people’s lives and suggests that the weighting given to Internet usage should be increased when calculating the Active Ageing Index (AAI). We analyse the results of two weighting systems, which differ from the original one created by an expert group. First, we use the coefficients calculated by Djurovic et al. (2017), then create our own system in which the Internet usage component is given a very high coefficient value, ceteris paribus. Evaluations are done for AAI 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016 and 2018. The rank order of countries differs in the alternative weighting systems, but these differences are slight, and decrease year by year, suggesting the robustness of the original weighting system. This also shows that older EU citizens are using the Internet more and more, and that Internet usage is becoming a category similar to basic literacy. Finally, we recommend that AAI include a more sophisticated indicator of Internet usage instead of just asking respondents if they have used the Internet at least once a week in the previous three months.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Ahmed M. (2011) Defining and Measuring Literacy: Facing the Reality International Review of Education 57(1-2) 179. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11159-011-9188-x
2. Bandura R. (2008) A Survey of Composite Indices Measuring Country Performance: 2008 update. New York: United Nations Development Programme Office of Development Studies (UNDP/ODS Working Paper)
3. Berde É. Kuncz I. (2019) What is the Best Way to Take Internet Usage into Consideration in the Different Variants of the Active Ageing Index?. Society and Economy 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1556/204.2019.003
4. Carstensen L.L. (1995) Evidence for a Life-Span Theory of Socioemotional Selectivity. Current Directions in Psychological Science 4 151-156. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8721.ep11512261
5. Djurovic I. Jeremic V. Bulajic M. Dobrota M. (2017) A Two-Step Multivariate Composite I-Distance Indicator Approach for the Evaluation of Active Ageing Index. Journal of Population Ageing 10(1) 73–86. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12062-016-9169-8
6. Dobrota M. Bulajic M. Bornmann L. Jeremic V. (2016) A New Approach to the QS University Ranking Using the Composite I-distance Indicator: Uncertainty and Sensitivity Analyses. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology 67(1) 200–211. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.23355
7. EU (2007) Ageing Well in the Information Society: Action Plan on Information and Communication Technologies and Ageing. Retrieved from: https://eurlex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=LEGISSUM%3Al24292 Accessed on March 8 2019.
8. Eurostat (2018) Eurostat Database Retrieved from: http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/data/database. Accessed on March 5 2018.
9. Hargittai E. (2002) Second-Level Digital Divide: Differences in People’s Online Skills. First Monday 7(4) https://doi.org/10.5210/fm.v7i4.942
10. Hazelkorn E. (2009) Rankings and the Battle for World-Class Excellence Higher Education Management and Policy 21(1) 1-22. https://doi.org/10.21427/D76P7M
11. Hawton A. Green C. Dickens A.P. Richards S.H. Taylor R.S. Edwards R. Campbell J.L. (2011) The Impact of Social Isolation on the Health Status and Health-Related Quality of Life of Older People. Quality of Life Research 20(1) 57-67. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-010-9717-2
12. Hellström Y. Persson G. Hallberg I.R. (2004) Quality of Life and Symptoms Among Older People Living at Home. Journal of advanced nursing 48(6) 584-593. http://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2004.03247.x
13. Ivanovic B. (1973) A Method of Establishing a List of Development Indicators. Paris: United Nations educational scientific and cultural organization.
14. Jeremic V. Bulajic M. Martic M. Radojicic Z. (2011) A Fresh Approach to Evaluating the Academic Ranking of World Universities. Scientometrics 87(3) 587–596. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-011-0361-6
15. Krueger D.C. Stone D.L. Lukaszewski K.M. (2018) Age and the Digital Divide Journal of Strategic Innovation and Sustainability 13(3) 75-84.
16. Lazăr C. Epure D.T. Spătariu E.C. (2011) Digital Economy Impact on Society Ovidius University Annals Economic Sciences Series Ovidius University of Constantza Faculty of Economic Sciences 11(1) 1131-1133.
17. Loucanova E. Kalamarova M. Parobek J. (2017) The Innovative Approaches to Packaging – Comparison Analysis of Intelligent and Active Packaging Perceptions in Slovakia Studia Universitatis „Vasile Goldis” Arad Economics Series 27(2) 33-44. http://doi.org/10.1515/sues-2017-0007
18. Neagu O. Dima S. (2017) Impact of Globalisation On Economic Growth in Romania: An Empirical Analysis of Its Economic Social and Political Dimensions Studia Universitatis „Vasile Goldis” Arad Economics Series 27(1) 29-40. http://doi.org/10.1515/sues-2017-0003
19. Nelson T.E. Oxley Z.M. (1999) Issue Framing Effects on Belief Importance and Opinion The Journal of Politics 61(4) 1040-1067. http://doi.org/10.2307/2647553
20. OECD (2008) Handbook on Constructing Composite Indicators Methodology and User Guide. Paris: OECD Publications. https://doi.org/10.1787/9789264043466-en
21. Peter J. Valkenburg P.M. (2006) Adolescents’ Internet Use: Testing the “Disappearing Digital Divide” versus the “Emerging Digital Differentiation” Approach. Poetics 34(4-5) 293-305 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.poetic.2006.05.005
22. São José J.M. Timonen V. Amado C.A.F. Santos S.P. (2017) A Critique of the Active Ageing Index Journal of Aging Studies 40 49-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaging.2017.01.001
23. Searing D.D. (1978) Measuring Politicians’ Values: Administration and Assessment of a Ranking Technique in the British House of Commons. American Political Science Review 72(1) 65-79 https://doi.org/10.2307/1953599
24. Srinuan C. Bohlin E. (2011) Understanding the Digital Divide: A Literature Survey and Ways Forward 22nd European Regional ITS Conference Budapest 2011: Innovative ICT Applications – Emerging Regulatory Economic and Policy Issues 52191 International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
25. Tirado-Morueta R. Aguaded-Gómez J.I. Hernando-Gómez Á. (2018) The Socio-Demographic Divide in Internet Usage Moderated by Digital Literacy Support. Technology in Society 55 47-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techsoc.2018.06.001
26. Van Deursen A.J. Van Dijk J. (2011) Internet Skills and the Digital Divide New Media & Society 13(6): 893-911. https://doi.org/10.1177/1461444810386774
27. WHO (2002) Active Ageing – A Policy Framework The Contribution of the World Health Organization to the Second United Nations World Assembly on Ageing Madrid Spain April 2002.
28. Yang L. (2014) An Inventory of Composite Measures of Human Progress Occasional Paper on Methodology UNDP Human Development Report Office
29. Zaidi A. Gasior K. Hofmarcher M.H. Lelkes O. Marin B. Rodrigues R. Schmidt A. Vanhuysse P. Zolyomi E. (2013) Active Ageing Index 2012: Concept Methodology and Final Results. Report Produced in Collaboration with UNECE (Geneva) and European Commission’s DG for Employment Social Affairs & Inclusion (Brussels).