The economic crisis, demography, technology, globalization etc. are all factors which will influence the organizational structures and business strategies. A new business strategy will require, among others, that passive Human Resources Management (HRM) change into an active one with a decisive influence upon business. The vision of an active HRM requires that HR information (IT) dedicated systems assist human resources managers in their decision-making. The existing IT systems predominantly manage the salary calculations and, possibly, the employee's professional development, two of the tasks that a human resources manager has to pursue. However, tasks such as assisting, consulting and engaging the human resources in the organization are equally important. IT systems must also develop into these directions. The present paper proposes a solution to measure the performance of human resources by creating an employee performance indicator (EPI). The paper first describes the economic phenomenon involved in the HR performance process, then the mathematical model is formulated, the algorithm is implemented, the solution of the model is analysed from a technical and economic point of view, and finally the decision is made. We use the weighted arithmetic mean to compute the EPI indicator and the correlation formula to establish the degree of relevance between the EPI indicator and the variables involved in the model. An implementation in R is given.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Adnan S. & Mohamed Y. 2014. Performance Evaluation – Methods and Techniques Survey. International Journal of Computer and Information Technology 3(5) pp. 966-979.
2. Armstrong M. & Baron A. 1998. Performance Management Handbook. London: IPM.
3. Atiim 2017. Learn About Goals Setting OKR framework and Team Performance. [Online] Available at: https://www.atiim.com/resources/ [Accessed 30 September 2017].
4. Brandon Hall Group 2015. The Value of Ongoing Performance Managemen. [Online] Available at: http://www.iitd.ie/Portals/0/Knowledge%20Centre/The-Value-of-Ongoing-Performance-Manangement.pdf [Accessed 30 September 2017].
5. Gandhi V. 2017. Managers Get Ready for Ongoing Performance Conversations. [Online] Available at: http://www.clomedia.com/2017/05/31/managers-get-ready-ongoing-performance-conversations/ [Accessed 30 September 2017].
6. Garr S. 2011. The Performance Management Framework: Evolving Performance Management to Fit the Modern Workforce. [Online] Available at: http://www.bersin.com/News/Details.aspx?id=14208 [Accessed 30 September 2017].
7. Hansen J. 2017. Why Ongoing Feedback vs. Annual Performance Reviews?. [Online] Available at: https://www.atiim.com/blog/why-ongoing-feedback-vs-annualperformancereviews/?utm_campaign=PERFORMANCE%20content%20to%20demo&utm_source=hs_automation&utm_medium=email&utm_content=33636862&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_DNnMuDLSywt0dwSKqF2mrtWs8jIH1KSuQ-TfOuzMOLAMX7PZ8p [Accessed 5 Octomber 2017].
8. Hearn S. 2016. What is Continuous Performance Management?. [Online] Available at: https://clearreview.com/continuous-performance-management/ [Accessed 5 October 2017].
9. Hervé A. 2007. Multiple Correlation Coefficient. In: A. Hervé ed. Encyclopedia of Measurement and Statistics. Dallas: Neil Salkind Ed..
10. CAEW 2017. Employee key performance indicators (KPI). [Online] Available at: http://www.icaew.com/technical/business-performance-managementcommunity/data-and-kpis/kpi-library/employee-kpis [Accessed 2 October 2017].
11. MiniTab Express support 2016. Interpret the key results for Multiple Regression. [Online] Available at: http://support.minitab.com/en-us/minitab-express/1/help-andhow-to/modeling-statistics/regression/how-to/multiple-regression/interpret-theresults/key-results/ [Accessed 11 October 2017].
12. O'Brien J. & Marakas G. 2007. Management information systems. A business unit of The McGraw-Hill Companies Volume McGraw-Hill/Irwin.
13. OPM.gov 2016. Performance Management - Measuring. [Online] Available at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/performancemanagement/measuring/# [Accessed 6 October 2017].
14. PennState 2017. The Multiple Linear Regression Model. [Online] Available at: https://onlinecourses.science.psu.edu/stat501/node/311 [Accessed 4 October 2017].
15. Precup M. 2015. What Drives Private Equity Investiments In R. Studia Universitatis “Vasile Goldis” Arad Economics Series 25(4) pp. 25-42.
16. Prodan A. & Aruștei C. 2015. Managementul resurselor umane. [Online] Available at: https://portal.feaa.uaic.ro/balti/PublishingImages/Pages/default/Suport_curs_MRU.pdf
17. Rațiu-Suciu C. Luban F. Hîncu D. & Cicoiu N. 2009. Modelare economică. București: Editura ASE.
18. Rietsema D. 2016. Understanding HRIS HRM HCM. [Online] Available at: https://www.hrpayrollsystems.net/understanding-hris-hrms-hcm/ [Accessed 2 October 2017].
19. Robertson J. 2005. 10 principles of effective information management. [Online] Available at: http://www.steptwo.com.au/papers/kmc_effectiveim/ [Accessed 30 September 2017].
20. Rouse M. 2016. Continuous performance management. [Online] Available at: http://searchhrsoftware.techtarget.com/definition/continuous-performancemanagement [Accessed 2 October 2017].
21. Tilca M. & Bojor M. 2016. Comparative study of different types of regression applied to unemployment in Maramures County of Romania. Studia Universitatis “Vasile Goldis” Arad. Economics Series 26(3) pp. 44-61.
22. UC Riverside 2016. Performance Factors & Behavior Indicators California: Human Resources - University of California.
23. wikiHow 2016. How to Measure Performance. [Online] Available at: http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Performance [Accessed 06.10.2017].
24. Wikipedia 2016. Multiple correlation. [Online] Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_correlation [Accessed 08.10.2017].