Tax avoidance is a phenomenon faced by all countries, to a lesser or greater extent, and we can say that it has begun to manifest itself since the introduction of taxes. It is known that generally taxes are not pleasing to taxpayers, especially when their level is high. However, it is important for individuals, as a whole, not to evade from their tax obligations. In this context taxes can be regarded as a necessary evil to ensure the resources needed for state functioning. But often some taxpayers are looking for ways to avoid taxes, engaging either in tax evasion to the shelter of the law or in fraudulent evasion. In this paper we present some of the aspects that motivate individuals to pay taxes. Also we analyze the situation of budgetary revenues in Alba County and also the evolution of the main income of consolidated general budget in Romania. In the end of the paper we intend to draw a parallel between shadow economy, tax burden and tax losses due to shadow economy for a sample of 32 countries. In this way we can see where underground economy and tax losses have the highest values and where are required measures to mitigate them.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Alstadsaeter A. Jacob M. (2013). The effect of awareness and incentives on tax evasion Retrieved from http://ideas.repec.org/p/ces/ceswps/_4369.html Accessed January 2014.
2. Bayer R. Sutter M. (2004). The excess burden of tax evasion - An experimental detection-concealment contest Retrieved from http://ideas.repec.org/p/wpa/wuwpex/0412003.html Accessed January 2014.
3. Bernasconi M. Corazzini L. Seri R. (2011). Tax Evasion: Does the Tax Burden Matter? Retrieved from http://ideas.repec.org/p/slp/islawp/islawp43.html Accessed February 2014.
4. Dumiter F. Todor S. (2014). Modeling the relationship between foreign direct investments and economic growth - evidence from Central and Eastern European countries Studia Universitatis „Vasile Goldis” Arad Economics Series Volume 24 Issue 2/2014 pp. 1-18.
5. Kirchler E. Muehlbacher S. Kastlunger B. Wahl I. (2007). Why Pay Taxes? A Review of Tax Compliance Decisions Retrieved from http://ideas.repec.org/p/ays/ispwps/paper0730.html Accessed January 2014.
6. Maciejovski B. Schwarzenberger H. Kirchler E. (2011). Rationality vs. Emotions: The Case of Tax Ethics and Compliance Retrieved from http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1831077 Accessed February 2014.
7. Murphy R. (2011). The Cost of Tax Abuse: A briefing paper on the cost of tax evasion worldwide The Tax Justice Network Chesham (UK) November 2011.
8. Osmani R. (2015). The level of the shadow economy tax evasion and corruption: The empirical evidence for SEE countries SEEU Review Volume 11 Issue 2 pp. 7-23 Retrieved from https://www.degruyter.com/downloadpdf/j/seeur.2015.11. issue-2/seeur-2015-0025/seeur-2015-0025.xml Accessed September 2016.
9. Panades J. (2004). Tax evasion and relative tax contribution PUBLIC FINANCE REVIEW Vol. 32 No. 2 March 2004 183-195 Retrieved from pareto.uab.es/jpanades/papers/public_finance_review.pdf Accessed January 2014.
10. Papp T. Takats E. (2008). Tax rate cuts and tax compliance - the Laffer curve revisited IMF Working Paper Retrieved from http://ideas.repec.org/p/imf/imfwpa/08-7.html Accessed February 2014.
11. Radu C.F. (2014a). About tax compliance: some reasons why people pay their taxes The Scientific Journal of Humanistic Studies no. 10 /year 6/2014 pp. 107-112.
12. Radu C.F. (2014b). Aspects concerning tax evasion in Alba County and Brasov Region Studia Universitatis „Vasile Goldis” Arad Economics Series Volume 24 Issue 1/2014 pp. 108-121.
13. Radu C.F. Dumiter F. Opreț A. (2015). Labour taxation - A comparative study Studia Universitatis „Vasile Goldis” Arad Economics Series Volume 25 Issue 1/2015 pp. 1-15.
14. Schneider F. (2015) Size and Development of the Shadow Economy of 31 European and 5 other OECD Countries from 2003 to 2015: Different Developments Retrieved from: http://www.econ.jku.at/members/Schneider/files/publications/2015/ShadEcEurope31.pdf Accessed march 2017
15. Schneider F. (2016). Tax Losses due to Shadow Economy Activities in OECD Countries from 2011 to 2013: A preliminary calculation Turkish Economic Review Vol. 3 (1) pp. 8-9 Retrieved from http://www.kspjournals.org/index.php/TER/article/view/686/720 Accessed September 2016.
16. Torgler B. Schneider F. Schaltegger C. (2009). Local Autonomy Tax Morale and the Shadow Economy Retrieved from www.crema-research.ch/papers/ 2008-24.pdf Accessed January 2014.
17. Tulai C. (2003). Finanțele publice si fiscalitatea Editura Casa Carții de Stiința Cluj-Napoca.
18. *** Raport de performanța 2013 - Direcția Generala Regionala a Finanțelor Publice Brasov Retrieved from http://bv.finantepublice.ro/html/despre_noi/index.php3 Accessed July 2016.
19. *** Raport de performanța 2015 - Direcția Generala Regionala a Finanțelor Publice Brasov Retrieved from https://static.anaf.ro/static/10/Brasov/Brasov/Raport_performanta_2015.pdf Accessed July 2016.
20. *** Raportul de performanța pe anul 2011 al Direcției Generale a Finanțelor Publice a județului Alba Retrieved from static.anaf.ro/static/3/Alba/RAPORT_PERFORMANTA_2011.pdf Accessed July 2016.