Since the first years of high school instruction in the Principality of Serbia, various Ministers of Education, principals and first gymnastics teachers had been thinking about physical education instruction. Better political, economic and cultural situation in Serbia together with the influences and ideas arriving from culturally developed European countries gave rise to several initiatives related to physical education instruction which were introduced into high school curricula.
Persons with different qualification levels were engaged as physical education teachers (gymnastics teachers) and they remained at that position for a few years. The aim of the paper was to establish who the PE teachers were in High School of Užice since its establishment until the beginning of the First World War (1839-1914). Historical method was used in this paper.
From 1839 until 1878 there were no organized physical education classes (physical exercise and gymnastics) because the first teachers in this school were not interested, or experienced about this type of instruction. By the written approval, the Minister of Education appointed in September 1878 the first gymnastics teacher Steva Trifunović, teacher of painting and calligraphy. In the next period the classes used to be realized by teachers of Serbian language, geometry and algebra, geography or officers and sometimes even all other homeroom teachers.
Regardless the fact that those were all people who had acquired basic knowledge on physical exercising in military schools or in gymnastic societies, it was still not enough for professional work in PE education and its further promotion.
The solution to the problem was initiated only in 1910. when Josef Jehlička came, at the invitation of the Ministry of Education of the Kingdom of Serbia, together with a group of Czeck Sokol leaders who had been sent to work in High School of Užice and improved quality of physical education classes in that school thanks to his professional competence. That led to the conditions for the PE classes in High School of Užice to become more significant in the system of general education of students.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Group of Authors. Историја Титовог Ужица – до 1918. (History of Titovo Užice): Istorijski institut iz Beograda i Narodni muzej iz Titovog Užica 1989.
2. Zlatić O. „Fizičko vaspitanje u Užičkoj gimnaziji od osnivanja do početka Prvog svetskog rata (1839-1914)“. (Physical Education in High School of Užice from its Foundation until the First World War (1839-1914)“. Masgistarska teza Faculty of Sport and Physical Education University of Belgrade 2016.
3. Ignjić Stevan Milutin Pašić Dragutin Korać Vojislav Lazović. Užička gimnazija 1839-1989. (High School of Užice 1839-1989) Titovo Užice: Gimnazija „Miodrag Milovanović Lune“ 1989.
4. Ilić Stefan i Slađana Mijatović. Istorija fizičke kulture Kneževine i Kraljevine Srbije III deo. (History of Physical Culture of the Principalita and Kingdom of Serbia III part) Beograd: Faculty of Physical Culture University of Belgrade 1994.
5. Ilić S. „Fizičko vaspitanje u Kragujevačkoj gimnaziji od osnivanja do početka Drugog svetskog rata 1833-1941“(Physical Education in High School of Kragujevac from its Foundation until the Second World War 1833-1941) Magistarska teza Faculty of Physical Education University of Belgrade 1974.
6. Ilić S. „Školsko fizičko vaspitanje u Srbiji (1830-1914)“ (School Physical Education in Serbia 1830-1914) Doktorska disertacija Faculty of Physical Education University of Belgrade 1981.
7. Korać Dragutin. (1996). Pravno uređenje gimnazija u Kneževini Srbiji. (Legal organization of High Schools in the Principality of Serbia) Užice: Izdavački centar „ Kadinjač“ 1996.
8. Popović M. Istorija Užica (History of Užice) (treće izdanje). Užice: Art plus 2004.
9. Trujić Nikodije. Fizička kultura u školama Srbije u devetnaestom veku. Beograd: Komisija za istoriju arhiv i muzej fizičke kulture Beograd 1976.
10. Milijan Cvijović i Cvijović Gordana. Užički zbornik 3. (Užice almanac). Užice: Istorijski arhiv Narodna biblioteka i Narodni Muzej u Titovom Užicu 1974.
11. Čarapić Mile. Sokolstvo u Užičkom kraju i Raškoj oblasti 1911-1941. (Sokol movement in Užice and Raška region) Užice Istorijski arhiv Užice 2010.