The basic goal of this research was to evaluate sociocultural influence of parents on general body dissatisfaction among their adolescent children. The sample comprised (N = 228) of both male and female adolescents aged between 16-19 years. In this study, two measuring instruments were applied: Body image and body change inventory and the Perceived Sociocultural Influences on Body Image and Body Change Questionnaire. These instruments show internal consistency of high reliability, which makes them applicable to the Serbian population. According to results of the correlational analysis, there is a mild correlation between predictor variables (influence of mother and influence of father) and the criteria general body dissatisfaction. The applied hierarchical regression analysis showed that predictor variables explain 22% of the total variance of general body dissatisfaction. It was also established that variables (female gender, sociocultural influence of parents on body image and change in physical appearance) present significant predictors of overall body dissatisfaction in late adolescence. The majority of the obtained findings is in accordance with results from previous studies, and should provide directions for predicting body image and perceptive sociocultural contributions on body image, as well as designing programs of prevention regarding body dissatisfaction in adolescents of both genders.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Nicole Kraus Julia Lindenberg Almut Zeeck Joachim Kosfelder and Silja Vocks „Immediate Effects of Body Checking Behaviour on Negative and Positive Emotions in Women with Eating Disorders: An Ecological Momentary Assessment Approach“ European Eating Disorders Review 23–5 (2015): 399–407.
2. Deschamps Valérie Salanave Benoît Chan Chee Christine Vernay Michel and Castetbon Katia „Body-weight perception and related preoccupations in a large national sample of adolescents“ Pediatric Obesity 10–1 (2015): 15–22.
3. Jacinthe Dion Marie-Eve Blackburn Julie Auclair Luc Laberge Suzanne Veillette Marco Gaudreault Patrick Vachon Michel Perron and Évelyne Touchette „Development and aetiology of body dissatisfaction in adolescent boys and girls“ International Journal of Adolescence and Youth 20–2 (2015): 151–166.
4. Analisa Arroyo „Magazine Exposure and Body Dissatisfaction „The Mediating Roles of Thin Ideal Internalization and Fat Talk“ Communication Research Reports 32–3 (2015): 246–252.
5. Tanja Legenbauer Pia Thiemann and Silja Vocks „Body Image Disturbance in Children and Adolescents with Eating Disorders“ Zeitschrift für Kinder-und Jugendpsychiatrie und Psychotherapie 42 (2014): 51–59.
6. Soledad Cruz-Sáez „Normal-weight and overweight female adolescents with and without extreme weight-control behaviours: Emotional distress and body image concerns“ Journal of Health Psychology 20 (2015): 730–740.
7. Kendrin R. Sonneville Carlos M. Grilo Tracy K. Richmond Idia B. Thurston Maryam Jernigan Loren Gianini and Alison E. Field „Prospective Association Between Overvaluation of Weight and Binge Eating Among Overweight Adolescent Girls“ Journal of Adolescent Health 56–1 (2015): 25–29.
8. Carmelo La Mela Marzio Maglietta Saverio Caini Giuliano P. Casu Stefano Lucarelli Sara Mori and Giovanni Maria Ruggiero „Perfectionism weight and shape concerns and low self-esteem: Testing a model to predict bulimic symptoms“ Eating Behaviors 19 (2015): 155–158.
9. SE Jackson F Johnson H Croker and J Wardle „Weight perceptions in a population sample of English adolescents: cause for celebration or concern?“ International Journal of Obesity 39 (2015): 1488–1493.
10. Rita Francisco Paola Espinoza Marcela L. González Eva Penelo Marisol Mora Rocío Rosés and Rosa M. Raich „Body dissatisfaction and disordered eating among Portuguese and Spanish adolescents: The role of individual characteristics and internalisation of sociocultural ideals“ Journal of Adolescence 41 (2015): 7–16.
11. Rebecca A Spencer Laurene Rehman and Sara FL Kirk „Understanding gender norms nutrition and physical activity in adolescent girls: a scoping review“ International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 12–6 (2015): 2–10.
12. Margery J. Holman Department of Kinesiology University of Windsor Windsor Ontario Canada Jay Johnson Department of Kinesiology San José State University San José California USA and Mary-Kaye Lucier Bulimia Anorexia Nervosa Association Windsor Ontario Canada „Sticks and stones: the multifarious effects of body-based harassment on young girls’ healthy lifestyle choices“ Journal of Sport and Society 18 (2013): 527–49.
13. 13. Deborah Mitchison and Jonathan Mond „Epidemiology of eating disorders eating disordered behaviour and body image disturbance in males: a narrative review“ Journal of Eating Disorders 3–20 (2015): 2–9.
14. By Martin-Storey and Crosnoe Robert „Trajectories of overweight and their association with adolescent depressive symptoms“ Health Psychology 34–10 (2015): 1004–1012.
15. Yiting Chang and Linda C. Halgunseth „Early Adolescents’ Psychosocial Adjustment and Weight Status Change: The Moderating Roles of Gender Ethnicity and Acculturation“ Journal of Youth and Adolescence 44–4 (2015): 870–886.
16. Enrique Llorente David H. Gleaves Cortney S. Warren Lourdes Pérez-de-Eulate and Liya Rakhkovskaya BS „Translation and validation of a spanish version of the sociocultural attitudes towards appearance questionnaire-4 (SATAQ-4)“ International Journal of Eating Disorders 48–2 (2015): 170–175.
17. N. Micali B. De Stavola G. Ploubidis E. Simonoff J. Treasure and A. E. Field „Adolescent eating disorder behaviours and cognitions: gender-specific effects of child maternal and family risk factors“ British Journal of Psychiatry 207–4 (2015): 320–327.
18. Rohde P. Stice E. C. and Marti N. Development and predictive effects of eating disorder risk factors during adolescence: Implications for prevention efforts“ International Journal of Eating Disorders 48–2 (2015): 187–198.
19. Kirsten Beyer Jessica Bizub Aniko Szabo Beth Heller Amy Kistner Erin Shawgo and Corey Zetts „Development and validation of the attitudes toward outdoor play scales for children“ Social Science & Medicine 133 (2015): 253–260.
20. Elizabeth A. McLaughlin Katherine E. Belon Jane Ellen Smith and Sarah J. Erickson „Mothers’ and daughters’ beliefs about factors affecting preadolescent girls’ body satisfaction“ Body Image 13 (2015): 9–17.
21. Melissa Kimber Jennifer Couturier Katholiki Georgiades Olive Wahoush and Susan M. Jack „Ethnic Minority Status and Body Image Dissatisfaction: A Scoping Review of the Child and Adolescent Literature“ Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health 17–5 1567–1579.
22. Hannah J. White Emma Haycraft and Caroline Meyer „Family mealtimes and eating psychopathology: The role of anxiety and depression among adolescent girls and boys Appetite 75–1 (2014): 173–179.
23. Nichole R. Kelly Lauren B. Shomaker Courtney K. Pickworth Sheila M. Brady Amber B. Courville Shanna Bernstein Natasha A. Schvey Andrew P. Demidowich Ovidiu Galescu Susan Z. Yanovski Marian Tanofsky-Kraff and Jack A. Yanovski A prospective study of adolescent eating in the absence of hunger and body mass and fat mass outcomes“ Obesity 23–7 (2015): 1472–1478.
24. Marita P. McCabe Lucy Busija Matthew Fuller-Tyszkiewicz Lina Ricciardelli David Mellor and Alexander Mussap „Sociocultural influences on strategies to lose weight gain weight and increase muscles among ten cultural groups“ Body Image 12 (2015): 108–114.
25. Emma Halliwell Future directions for positive body image research“ Body Image 14 (2015): 177–189.
26. 26. Lina Ricciardelli and Marita McCabe „Psychometric evaluation of the Body Change Inventory: An assessment instrument for adolescent boys and girls“ Eating Behaviors 3–1 (2002): 45–59.
27. Marita P. McCabe Lina A. Ricciardelli „Parent peer and media influences on body image and strategies to both increase and decrease body size among adolescent boys and girls“ Adolescence; Roslyn Heights 36 (2001): 225–40.
28. Vera Lopez Rosalie Corona Raquel Halfond „Effects of gender media influences and traditional gender role orientation on disordered eating and appearance concerns among Latino adolescents“ Journal of Adolescence 36 (2013): 727–36.
29. Jerica M. Berge Craig Meyer Richard F. MacLehose Renee Crichlow and Dianne Neumark-Sztainer „All in the family: Correlations between parents’ and adolescent siblings’ weight and weight-related behaviors“ Journal of Obesity 23–4 (2015): 833–839.
30. N. Horesh E. Sommerfeld M. Wolf E. Zubery and G. Zalsman „Father–daughter relationship and the severity of eating disorders“ European Psychiatry 30–1 (2015): 114–120.
31. Elizabeth K. Towner Jennifer Reiter-Purtill Richard E. Boles And Meg H. Zeller „Predictors Of Caregiver Feeding Practices Differentiating Persistently Obese From Persistently Non-Overweight Adolescents“ Appetite 84 (2015): 120–127.
32. Julia Fredrickson „Weight perception in overweight adolescents: Associations with body change intentions diet and physical activity“ Journal of Health Psychology20–6 (2015): 774–784.
33. Yael Latzer Zohar Spivak-Lavi and Ruth Katz „Disordered eating and media exposure among adolescent girls: the role of parental involvement and sense of empowerment“ International Journal of Adolescence and Youth 20:3 (2015): 375–391.
34. Katie Loth Melanie Wall Chien Wen Choi Michaela Bucchianeri Virginia Quick Nicole Larson and Dianne Neumark-Sztainer „Family meals and disordered eating in adolescents: Are the benefits the same for everyone?“ International Journal of Eating Disorders 48–1 (2015): 100–110.
35. Kyung E Rhee Susan Dickstein Elissa Jelalian Kerri Boutelle „Ronald Seifer and Rena Wing Development of the General Parenting Observational Scale to assess parenting during family meals“ International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 12–49 (2015): 2–15.
36. Dorus W. M. Gevers Patricia van Assema Ester F. C. Sleddens Nanne K. de Vries Stef P. J. Kremers „Associations between general parenting restrictive snacking rules and adolescent’s snack intake. The roles of fathers and mothers and interparental congruence“ Appetite 87 (2015): 184–191.
37. KJ Sawka GR McCormack A Nettel-Aguirre and K Swanson „Associations between aspects of friendship networks and dietary behavior in youth: Findings from a systematized review“ Eating Behaviors 18 (2015): 7–15.
38. Michelle Nichols Susan Newman Lynne S. „Nemeth and Gayenell Magwood The Influence of Parental Participation on Obesity Interventions in African American Adolescent Females: An Integrative Review“ Journal of Pediatric Nursing 30–3 (2015): 485–493.