Despite the association of a worse HF-related clinical status with lower CoQ10 levels, the prognostic use of CoQ10 is controversial. The aim of this study is to optimize pharmacotherapy for patients with ischaemic CHF, based on the clinical and functional parameters of the heart and brain natriuretic peptide (BNP) plasma levels, which are correlated with the CoQ10 plasma levels, and to assess patient prognosis after receiving CoQ10 therapy. This prospective clinical study included 75 patients aged 56 to 63 years old with coronary heart disease (CHD) classified as class I–III according to the NYHA classification. After assessment of the clinical-instrumental characteristics of the CVD course (complaints, medical history, physical examination, a 6-minute walk test, echocardiography, and test for reactive hyperaemia), we determined the BNP level and CoQ10 plasma levels. At the same time, we assessed the efficacy of CoQ10 treatment (at a dose of 60 mg/per day) and tolerability in CVD-combined therapy during a follow-up of 12 weeks. CoQ10 supplementation in HF patients induced improvements in their functional cardiac parameters, such as the ejection fraction. Our results suggest that supplemental CoQ10 may be a useful option for effective management of heart failure and warrant future adequately powered randomized controlled trials of CoQ10 supplementation in patients with HF.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Go AS Mozaffarian D Roger VL et al. Heart disease and stroke statistics 2014 update: a report from the American Heart Association. American Heart Association Statistics Committee and Stroke Statistics Subcommittee. Circulation 2014; 129: 280-292.
2. Ho KK Pinsky JL Kannel WB et al. The epidemiology of heart failure: the Framingham Study. J Am Coll Cardiol 1993; 22: 6–13.
3. McMurray JJ Adamopuulus S Anker SD et al. ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure 2012: The Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Acute and Chronic Heart Failure 2012 of the European Society of Cardiology Deloped in collaboration with the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the ESC. Eur Heart J 2012; 33: 1787–847.
4. Yancy CW Jessup M Bozkurt B et al. ACCF/AHA Guideline for the management of heart failure: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association task force on practice guidelines. Circulation 2013; 128: 240-327.
5. Aronov DM. Importance of coenzyme Q10 in cardiology. Russian Medical Journal 2007; 15: 1484-1488.
6. Fotino AD Thompson-Paul AM Bazzano LA. Effect of coenzyme Q10 supplementation on heart failure: a meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr 2013; 97: 268–275.
7. Mortensen SA. Coenzyme Q10: will this natural substance become a guideline-directed adjunctive therapy in heart failure? JACC Heart Fail 2015; 3:270-271.
8. Miles MV Horn PS Tang PH et al. Age-related changes in plasma coenzyme Q10 concentrations and redox state in apparently healthy children and adults. AJ Clin Chim Acta 2004; 347: 139-144.
9. Medvedev OS Kalenikova EI Gorodetzkaya EA et al. Coenzyme Q10 in cardiology practice – theoretical bases and clinical studies results. Russian Medical Journal 2009; 17: 1177-1181.
10. R. Ferrari L. Agnoletti L. Comini G. et al. Oxidative stress during myocardial ischemia and heart failure Eur Heart J 1998; 19:2–11.
11. Sarah L. Molyneux Christopher M et al. Coenzyme Q10 An Independent Predictor of Mortality in Chronic Heart Failure Christchurch New Zealand. J Am Coll Caqrdiol 2008; 52: 1435-1441.
12. Madamanchi NR Runge MS. Mitochondrial dysfunction in atherosclerosis. Circ Res. 2007; 100: 460–473.
13. Ponikowski P Voors AA Anker SD et al. 2016 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure: The Task Force for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure of the European Society of Cardiology. Developed with the special contribution of the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the ESC. Eur Heart J 2016 20.
15. Tsutamoto T. Plasma brain natriuretic peptide level as a biochemical marker of morbidity and mortality in patients with asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic left ventricular dysfunction. Comparison with plasma angiotensin II and endothelin-1. Eur Heart J 199; 20: 1799-1807.
16. Soja AM Mortensen SA. Treatment of congestive heart failure with coenzyme Q 10 illuminated by meta-analyses of clinical trials. Mol Aspects Med 1997; 18: 159–168.
17. Sander S Coleman CI Patel AA et al. The impact of coenzyme Q10 on systolic function in patients with chronic heart failure. J Card Fail 2006; 12: 464–472.
18. Judy WV Hall JH Toth PD et al. Double blind-double crossover study of coenzyme Q10 in heart failure in: Biomedical and Clinical Aspects of Coenzyme Q Vol. 5. K. Folkers and Y. Yamamura eds Elsevier Amsterdam 1986 pp. 315–323.
19. Munkholm H Hansen HHT Rasmussen K. Coenzyme Q10 treatment in serious heart failure. Ann Intern Med 1999; 9: 285–289.
20. Wolsk E Claggett B Pfeffer MA et al. Role of B-Type Natriuretic Peptide and N-Terminal Prohormone BNP as Predictors of Cardiovascular Morbidity and Mortality in Patients With a Recent Coronary Event and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. J Am Heart Assoc. 2017; 6: 43-47.
21. Edlund PO. Determination of coenzyme Q10 α-tocopherol and cholesterol in biological samples by coupled-column liquid chromatography with coulometric and ultraviolet detection. J Chromatogr 1988; 425: 87–97.
22. Rosenfeldt FL Haas SJ Krum H et al. Coenzyme Q10 in the treatment of hypertension: a meta-analysis of the clinical trials. J Hum Hypertens 2007; 21:297-306.
23. Gorokhova SG Sizova ZM. Pharmacotherapy of chronic heart failure in ambulatory practice. Physician’s workbook. Medpraktika-M 2008; pp.85.
24. Mortensen SA Rosenfeldt F Kumar A et al. The effect of coenzyme Q10 on morbidity and mortality in chronic heart failure: results from Q-SYMBIO: a randomized double-blind trial. JACC Heart Fail. 2014; 2:641–649.
25. Keogh A Fenton S Leslie C et al. Randomized doubleblind placebo-controlled trial of coenzyme Q10 therapy in class II and III systolic heart failure. Heart Lung Circ. 2003; 12:135–141.
26. DiNicolantonio JJ Bhutani J McCarty MF et al. Coenzyme Q10 for the treatment of heart failure: a review of the literature. Open Heart 2015; 2: 32-36.
27. Alehagen U Johansson P Bjornstedt M et al. Cardiovascular mortality and N-terminal-proBNP reduced after combined selenium and coenzyme Q10 supplementation: a 5-year prospective randomized doubleblind placebo-controlled trial among elderly Swedish citizens. Int J Cardiol. 2013; 167:1860-1866.
28. Sizova ZM Farafoniva TN Medvedev OS et al. Possibilities of different doses coenzyme Q10 administration in patients with chronic heart failure. Heart failure 2010; 11: 218-222.
29. Tokareva OG Kharitonova EV Mareev VY et al. Vliyanie koenzima Q10 v sostave standartnoj terapii bolnyx xronicheskoj serdechnoj nedostatochnostyu na plazmennye urovni mozgovogo natrijureticheskogo peptida. Zhurnal Serdechnaya Nedostatochnost 2014; 850: 232–237.
30. Jankowski J Korzeniowska K Cieslewicz A et al. Coenzyme Q10 - A new player in the treatment of heart failure? Pharmacol Rep 2016; 68: 1015-1019.
31. Lampertico M Comis S. Italian multicenter study on the efficacy and safety of coenzyme Q10 as adjuvant therapy in heart failure. Clin Investig. 1993; 71: 129-133.
32. Fotino AD Thompson-Paul AM Bazzano LA. Effect of coenzyme Q10 supplementation on heart failure: a meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr 2013; 97: 268-75.
33. Morisco C Trimarco B Condorelli M. Effect of coenzyme Q10 therapy in patients with congestive heart failure: a long-term multicenter randomized study. Clin Investig. 1993; 71: 134–136.
34. Crane FL Hatefi Y Lester RL et al. Isolation of a quinone from beef heart mitochondria. Biochim Biophys Acta 1957; 25: 220–1.
35. Mellors A Tappel AL. The inhibition of mitochondrial peroxidation by ubiquinone and ubiquinol. J Biol Chem 1966; 241: 4353–4356.