New zinc(II)-complexes with S-alkyl derivatives of thiosalicylic acid (alkyl = benzyl-(L1), methyl-(L2), ethyl-(L3), propyl-(L4), butyl-(L5)) have been synthesized and characterized by elemental microanalysis, IR spectroscopy, and 1H and 13C NMR spectroscopy. The S-alkyl derivatives of thiosalicylic acid were prepared by alkylation of thiosalicylic acid by adding alkyl halides to an alkaline water-ethanol solution, while the corresponding zinc(II)-complexes were obtained via the direct reaction of ZnCl2 with S-alkyl derivatives of thiosalicylic acid in water. Based on the microanalysis results and the IR and NMR spectra of the S-alkyl derivatives of thiosalicylic acid and the corresponding zinc(II)-complexes, we concluded that the ligands are bidentately coordinated to the zinc(II)-ion.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Broadley MR, White PJ, Hammond JP, Zelko I, Lux A. Zinc in plants. New Phytologist. 2007; 173(4): 677-702.
2. Bray TM, Bettger WJ. The physiological role of zinc as an antioxidant. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 1990; 8(3): 281-91.
3. Powell SR. The antioxidant properties of zinc. The Journal of nutrition. 2000; 130(5): 1447-54.
4. Dreosti IE. Zinc and the gene. Mutation Research/Fundamental and Molecular Mechanisms of Mutagenesis. 2001; 475(1): 161-7.
5. Prasad AS. Zinc deficiency in humans: a neglected problem. Journal of the American college of Nutrition. 1998; 17(6): 542-3.
6. Prasad AS, Kucuk O. Zinc in cancer prevention. Cancer and metastasis Reviews. 2002; 21(3-4): 291-5.
7. McCall KA, Huang CC, Fierke CA. Function and mechanism of zinc metalloenzymes. The Journal of nutrition. 2000; 130(5): 1437-46.
8. Chhakkar Ak, Kakkar LR. Extractive-spectrophotometric method for the determination of palladium using thiosalicylic acid and hexylamine. Fresenius Journal of analytical Chemistry. 1993; 347(12): 483-85.
9. Gregory GREC and Jeffery PG. Salicylideneamino- 2-thiophenol—a new reagent for the photometric determination of tin: application to the analysis of ores, rocks and minerals. Analyst. 1967; 92: 293-299.
10. Gismera MJ, Procopio JR, Sevilla MT, Hernandez L. Copper(II) ion-selective electrodes based on dithiosalicylic and thiosalicylic acids. Electroanalysis. 2003; 15 (2): 126-132.
11. Aydin M, Arsu N, Yagci Y. One-component biomolecular photoinitiating systems. Macromol Rapid Commun. 2003; 24: 718–723.
12. Shander D, Ahluwalia G, Grosso D. Us Patent 5411991.
13. Tarbet B. Skin disorders, therapy using fungicides (2003). U.S. Patent Application No. 10/706,708.
14. Jacobelli H. US Patent 20050267095.
15. Halaschek-Wiener J, Kloog Y, Wacheck V, Jansen B. Farnesyl thiosalicylic acid chemosensitizes human melanoma in vivo. J Invest Dermatol. 2003; 120(1): 109-15.
16. Al-Niaimi NS, Al-Saadi BM. Thiosalicylic acid complexes of divalent zinc, cadmium, mercury and lead. Journal of Inorganic and Nuclear Chemistry. 1974; 36(7): 1617-22.
17. Al-Niaimi NS, Al-Saadi BM. Thiosalicylic acid complexes of divalent zinc, cadmium, mercury and lead. Journal of Inorganic and Nuclear Chemistry. 1974; 36(7): 1617-22.
18. Duran N, Clegg W, Cucurull-Sánchez L, Coxall RA, Jiménez HR, Moratal JM, Lloret F, González-Duarte P. Unprecedented stabilization of cobalt(II) in a tetrahedral S2O2 environment: the use of a redox-noninnocent ligand. Inorganic chemistry. 2000; 39(21): 4821-32.
19. Abdel-Mawgoud AM, Abdel-Hamid R. Cobalt(II), copper(II), zinc(II)-amino and thiosalicylic acids ternary complexes. Monatshefte für Chemie 1987; 118(11): 1219-23.
21. Smith DJ, Yap GP, Kelley JA, Schneider JP. Enhanced stereoselectivity of a Cu(II) complex chiral auxiliary in the synthesis of Fmoc-L-γ-carboxyglutamic acid. J Org Chem. 2011; 76(6):1513-20.
22. Radić GP, Glođović VV, Radojević ID, Stefanović OD, Čomić LjR, Ratković ZR, Valkonen A, Rissanen K, Trifunović SR. Synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial activity of palladium(II) complexes with some alkyl derivates of thiosalicylic acids. Crystal structure of bis(S-benzil-thiosalicylate)-palladium(II)complex, [Pd(S-bz-thiosal)2]. Polyhedron. 2012; 31:69-76.
23. Schoenberg LN, Cooke DW, Liu CF. Nuclear magnetic resonance determination of the absolute configuration of complexes of cobalt(III) with asymmetric tetradentate ligands. Inorg Chem. 1968; 7: 2386-93.
24. Swaminathan K, Busch DH. The synthesis and infrared absorption spectra of complexes of cobalt with pentadentate propylenediaminetetraacetic acid. J Inorg Nucl Chem. 1961; 20(1): 159-63.
25. Nakamoto K. Infrared spectra of the inorganic and coordination compounds. New York: Willey; 1963.