Synthesis, Characterization, and Cytotoxicity of Binuclear Cooper(II)-Complexes with some S-Alkenyl Derivatives of Thiosalicyclic Acid
Dusan Lj. Tomovic
, Andriana M. Bukonjic
, Aleksandar Kocovic
, Milos V. Nikolic
, Marina Z. Mijajlovic
, Verica V. Jevtic
, Zoran R. Ratkovic
, Aleksandar N. Arsenijevic
, Jelena Z. Milovanovic
, Bojana Stojanovic
, Srecko R. Trifunovic
, and Gordana P. Radic
1 Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Kragujevac, Serbia
2 Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, University of Kragujevac, Serbia
New complexes of copper(II) with S-alkenyl derivatives of thiosalicylic acid (alkenyl = propenyl-(L1), isobutenyl-(L2)) have been synthesized and characterized by microanalysis, infrared spectra, magnetic measurements, and by NMR spectra. The cytotoxic activity of two newly synthesized precursor S-alkenyl derivatives of thiosalicylic acid were tested using an MTT colorimetric technique on HCT-116 human colon carcinoma cells. The cytotoxic effect of the copper(II)- complexes were higher compared to the cytotoxicity of the corresponding ligand (for concentrations from 31.25 to 250 μM). Copper(II)-complexes showed a slightly lower cytotoxicity compared to cisplatin. Complexes of copper(II) with S-alkenyl derivatives of thiosalicylic acid (at concentrations from 250 to 1000 μM) had a cytotoxic effect on HCT-116 cells compared to cisplatin.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Tisato F, Marzano C, Porchia M, Pellei M, Santini C. Copper in diseases and treatments, and copper-based anticancer strategies. Med Res Rev. 2010;30(4):708-49.
2. Marzano C, Pellei M, Tisato F, Santini C. Copper Complexes as Anticancer Agents. Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 2009;9:185-211.
3. Prudhomme M. Advances in Anticancer Agents in Medicinal Chemistry. Clermont-Ferrand: Bentham Science Publishers; 2013(2).
4. Santini C, Pellei M, Gandin V, Porchia M, Tisato F, Marzano C. Advances in copper complexes as anticancer agents. Chem Rev. 2014;114(1):815-62.
5. Marcel, Gielen, Tiekink, Edward. Metallotherapeutic drugs and metal-based diagnostic agents. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons Ltd; 2005.
6. Goodman VL, Brewer GJ, Merajver SD. Copper deficiency as an anti-cancer strategy. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2004;11(2):255-63.
7. Rae TD, Schmidt PJ, Pufahl RA, Culotta VC, O’Halloran TV. Undetectable intracellular free copper: The requirement of a copper chaperone for superoxide dismutase. Science. 1999;284:805-8.
8. Daniel KG, Harbach RH, Guida WC, Dou QP. Copper storage diseases: Menkes, Wilson’s, and cancer. Front Biosci. 2004;9:2652-62.
9. Molina-Holgado F, Hider RC, Gaeta A, Williams R, Francis P. Metals ions and neurodegeneration. Biometals. 2007;20:639-54.
10. Iakovidis I, Delimaris I, Piperakis SM. Copper and its complexes in medicine: a biochemical approach. Mol Biol Int. 2011;2011:594529.
11. Aust SD, Morehouse LA, Thomas CE. Role of metals in oxygen radical reactions. J Free Radic Biol Med. 1985;1:3-25.
12. Daniel KG, Gupta P, Harbach RH, Guida WC, Dou QP. Organic copper complexes as a new class of proteasome inhibitors and apoptosis inducers in human cancer cells. Biochem Pharmacol. 2004;67:1139-51.
13. Chhakkar Ak, Kakkar LR. Extractive-spectrophotometric method for the determination of palladium using thiosalicylic acid and hexylamine. Fresenius J Anal Chem. 1993;347(12):483-5.
14. Gregory GREC and Jeffery PG. Salicylideneamino-2-thiophenol a new reagent for the photometric determination of tin: application to the analysis of ores, rocks and minerals. Analyst. 1967;92:293-9.
15. Gismera MJ, Procopio JR, Sevilla MT, Hernandez L. Copper(II) ion-selective electrodes based on dithiosalicylic and thiosalicylic acids. Electroanalysis. 2003;15(2):126-32.
16. Aydin M, Arsu N, Yagci Y. One-component biomolecular photoinitiating systems. Macromol Rapid Commun. 2003;24:718-23.
17. Shander D, Ahluwalia G, Grosso D. Us Patent 5411991.
18. Tarbet B. Skin disorders, therapy using fungicides. U.S. Patent Application No. 10/706,708.
19. Jacobelli H. US Patent 20050267095.
20. Halaschek-Wiener J, Kloog Y, Wacheck V, Jansen B. Farnesyl thiosalicylic acid chemosensitizes human melanoma in vivo. J Invest Dermatol. 2003;120(1):109-15.
21. O’Halloran TV. Transition metals in control of gene expression. Science. 1993;261(5122):715-25.
22. Ferrer EG, Williams PAM. Synthesis and characterization of dimeric complex of Cu(II) with thiosalicylic acid and pyridine. Polyhedron. 1997;16(19):3323-5.
23. Bott RC, Healy PC, Sagatysb DS. Electrochemical synthesis and structural characterization of the trinuclear copper(I)-copper(II) complex: bis[bis(triphenylphosphine) copper(I)][bis(thiosalicylate)copper(II)]. Chem Commun. 1998;2403-4.
24. Nikolić MV, Mijajlović MŽ, Jevtić VV, Ratković ZR, Radojević ID, Čomić LjR et al. Synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial activity of copper(II)-complexes with some S-alkyl derivatives of thiosalicylic acid. Crystal structure of the binuclear copper(II)-complex with S-methyl derivatives of thiosalicylic acid. Polyhedron. 2014;79:80-7.
25. Nikolić MV, Mijajlović MŽ, Jevtić VV, Ratković ZR, Novaković SB, Bogdanović GA et al. Cytotoxicity of copper(II)-complexes with some S-alkyl derivatives of thiosalicylic acid. Crystal structure of the binuclear copper(II)-complex with S-ethyl derivatives of thiosalicylic acid. Journal of Molecular Structure. 2016;1116:264-71.
26. Radić GP, Glođović VV, Radojević ID, Stefanović OD, Čomić LjR, Ratković ZR et al. Synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial activity of palladium(II) complex with same alkyl derivates of thiosalicylic acids: Crystal structure of the bis(S-benzyl-thiosalicylate)--palladium( II)-complex, [Pd(S-bz thiosal)2]. Polyhedron. 2012;31(1):69-76.
27. Mosmann T. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods. 1983;65:55-63.
28. Schoenberg LN, Cooke DW, Liu CF. Nuclear magnetic resonance determination of the absolute configuration of complexes of cobalt(III) with asymmetric tetradentate ligands. Inorg Chem. 1968;7:2386-93.
29. Swaminathan K, Busch DH. The synthesis and infrared absorption spectra of complexes of cobalt with pentadentate propylenediaminetetraacetic acid. J Inorg Nucl Chem. 1961;20(1):159-63.
30. Nakamoto К. Infrared spectra of the inorganic and coordination compounds. New York: Willey; 1963.
31. Ferrer, EG, PAM Williams. Synthesis and characterization of a dimeric complex of Cu(II) with thiosalicylic acid and pyridine. Polyhedron. 1997;16(19):3323-5.
32. Elmali A. The magnetic super-exchange coupling in copper(II) acetate monohydrate and a redetermination of the crystal structure. Turkish Journal of Physics. 2000;24:667-72.
33. Jotham RW, Kettle SFA, Marks JA. Antiferromagnetism in transition-metal complexes. Part VI. Low-lying excited states of dinuclear copper(II) complexes with bridging multidentate Schiff’s base groups and some related compounds. J Chem Soc, Dalton Trans. 1974;2:125-8.
34. Meier JL, Coughenour CE, Carlisle JA, Carlisle GO. The magnetic properties of a series of copper(II) aspirinates. Inorg Chim Acta. 1985;106:159-63.
35. Underhill AE, Bougourd SA, Flugge ML, Gale SE, Gomm PS. Metal complexes of anti- -inflammatory drugs. Part VIII: Suprofen complex of copper(II). J Inorg Biochem. 1993; 144:139-44.