The appropriate biomarkers for oxidative stress (OS) in patients with end stage renal disease (ESRD) are important in renal pathology. Patients (56) with ESRD were investigated (35 men and 21 women). Patients, with mean age of 45±17 years, defined education, specific HD duration and calculated body mass index (BMI), were exposed to a polysulphone type HD membrane for approximately 4 hours per HD session, 3 times per week. The control group was composed of 31 healthy volunteers. The total antioxidative capacity (TAC) and the antioxidative (AO) enzymes superoxide dismutase (SOD) and glutathione peroxidase (GPx), were assessed. Analyses included Randox Crumlin GB; lipid peroxidation (LP) using its end product, malonyldialdehyde (MDA) (fluorimetric); and a LDL-ox immunoassay (Biomedica gruppe, Vienna, Austria). The TAS was higher in ESRD patients before HD (1.63±0.1 mmol/L) compared to the control group (1.23±0.03 mmol/L).
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Bayes B, Pastor MC, Bonai J, Foraster A, Romero R. Oxidative stress, inflammation and cardiovascular mortality in haemodialysis-role of seniority and intervenous ferrotherapy: analysis at 4 years of follow-up. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2006; 21 (4):984-90.
2. Locatelli F, Canaud B, Eckardt KU, Stenvinkel P, Wanner C, Zoccali C. Oxidative stress in end stage renal disease: an emerging threat to patient outcome. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2003; 18(7): 1272-80.).
3 Small DM, Gobe GC. Oxidative stress and antioxidant therapy in chronic kidney and cardiovascular disease. In: Oxidative stress and chronic degenerative diseases – a role for antioxidants. Agricultural and biological Sciences 2013; 233-63 http://dx.doi.org/10.5772/51923.).
4. Rosner MH, Ronco C, Okusa MD. The role of inflammation in the cardio-renal syndrome: a focus on cytokines and inflammatory mediators. Semin Nephrol 2012; 32(1): 70-8.
5. Gritters M, Grooteman MPC, Schoorl M et al. Citrate anticoagulation abolishes degranulation of polymorphonuclear cells and platelets and reduces oxidative stress during haemodialysis. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2006; 21 (1): 153-9.).
6. Radeke HH, Meier B, Topley N, Floge J, Habermehl GG, Resch K. Interleukin 1α and tumor necrosis factor α induce oxygen radical production in mesangial cells. Kid International 1990; 37: 767-75.)
7. Ho E, Karimi Galougahi K, Liu CC, Bhindi R, Figtree AG. Biological markers of oxidative stress: Applications to cardiovascular research and practice. Redox Biol 2013; (1): 483-91.
8. Nguyen A, Lethias C, Zingraff J, Herbelin A, Naret C, Descamps-Latscha B. Hemodialysis membrane-induced activation of phagocyte oxidative metabolism detected in vivo and in vitro within microamounts of whole blood. Kidney Int 1985; 28: 158-67.
9. Montazerifar F, Hashemi M, Karajibani M, Dikshit M. Hemodialysis alters lipid profiles, total antioxidant capacity, and vitamins A, E, and C concentrations in humans. J Med Food 2010; 13 (6): 1490-3.
10. Jackon P, Loughrey CM, Lightbody JH, McNamee PT, Young IS. Effect of hemodialysis on total antioxidant capacity and serum antioxidants in patients with chronic renal failure. Clin Chem 1995; 41(8Pt1): 1135-8.
11. Elshamaa MF, sabry S, Nabih M, Elghoroury EA, EI-Saaid GS, Ismail AAG. Alteration in plasma total anti-oxidant capacity, cardiotoxic lipid peroxidation product and C-reactive protein: a possible explanation for the increased cardiovascular risk in children on hemodialysis. J Clin Basic Cardiology 2008; 11 (1-4): 2-7.
12. Celik G, Yontem M, Bilge M, Cilo M, Unaldi M. Anti-oxidant system and anaemia in haemodialysis patients. The J of Int Med Res 2011; 39: 1954-60.
13. Gerardi G, Usberti M, Martini G, Albertini A, Sugherini L, Pompella A, Di LD. Plasma total antioxidant capacity in hemodialysis patients and its relationships to other biomarkers of oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation. Clin Chem Lab Med 2002; 40(2): 104-10.
14. Samouilidou E, Grapsa E. Effect of dialysis on plasma total antioxidant capacity and lipid peroxidation products in patients with end stage renal failure. Blood Purif 2003; 21 (3): 209-12.
15. Knap B, Prezelj M, Buturovic-Ponikvar J, Ponikvar R, Bren AF. Antioxidant enzymes show adaptation to oxidative stress in athletes and increased stress in hemodialysis patients. Ther Apher Dial 2009; 13(4): 300-5.
16. Marjani A. Effect of haemodialysis of plasma lipid peroxidation and erythrocyte enzymes in Gorgan (South East of Caspian Sea). The Internet J of Nephrol 2014; 2 (1), from https://ispub.com/IJNE/2/1/12211
17. Kitabayashi C, Naruko T, Suqioka K, et al. Positive association between plasma levels of oxidized low-densitey lipoprotein and myeloperoxidase after hemodialysis in patients with diabetic end-stage renal disease. Hemodial Int 2013; 17(4):557-67.