Increased activity of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system (RAAS) plays a significant role in the development and progression of various cardio-metabolic diseases, such as hypertension, atherosclerosis and heart failure. Aliskiren is the newest antihypertensive drug and the first orally active direct renin inhibitor to become available for clinical use. This study investigated the acute and direct effects of Aliskiren on different parameters of oxidative stress on isolated rat heart. The hearts of male Wistar albino rats (n = 24, 8 per experimental group, age 8 weeks, body mass 180–200 g), were excised and retrogradely perfused according to the Langendorfftechnique at a gradually increasing perfusion pressure (40-120 cmH2O). Markers of oxidative stress (NO2−, TBARS, H2O2 and O2−) were measured spectrophotometrically after perfusion with three different concentrations of Aliskiren (0.1 μM, 1 μM, and 10 μM). The results demonstrated possible dose-dependent cardioprotective properties of Aliskiren, particularly with higher CPP. Lipid peroxidation (TBARS) levels decreased with the highest dose of Aliskiren and higher CPP, and the same trend was observed in nitrite (NO2−) and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) levels. These findings indicate that the acute effects of Aliskiren do not likely promote the production of reactive oxygen species upon higher pressure with the highest dose. Aliskiren may exert beneficial effects on oxidative stress biomarkers.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Angeli F Reboldi G Mazzotta G et al. Safety and efficacy of aliskiren in the treatment of hypertension and associated clinical conditions. Curr Drug Saf. 2012;7(1):76-85.
2. Dzau V. The cardiovascular continuum and renin-angiotensinaldosterone system blockade. J Hypertens-Suppl. 2005; 23: S9-17.
3. Pagliaro P Penna C. Rethinking the renin-angiotensin system and its role in cardiovascular regulation. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 2005; 19: 77-87.
4. Angeli F Reboldi G Poltronieri C et al. Efficacy and safety profile of aliskiren: practical implications for clinicians. Curr Drug Saf. 2014; 9(2): 106-17.
5. Sen S Sabırlı S Ozyiğit T Uresin Y. Aliskiren: review of efficacy and safety data with focus on past and recent clinical trials. TherAdv Chronic Dis. 2013; 4(5): 232-41.
6. Yoshitomi Y Kawanishi K Yamaguchi A et al. Effectiveness of the direct renin inhibitor aliskiren in patients with resistant hypertension. Int Heart J. 2013; 54(2): 88-92.
7. Frampton JE Curran MP. Aliskiren: a review of its use in the management of hypertension. Drugs. 2007; 67(12): 1767-92.
8. Zaporowska-Stachowiak I Hoffmann K Bryl W Minczykowski A. Aliskiren – an alternative to angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors or angiotensin receptor blockers in the therapy of arterial hypertension. Arch Med Sci. 2014; 10(4): 830-6.
9. Maibaum J Feldman DL. Renin inhibitors as novel treatments for cardiovascular disease. Expert Opin Ther Pat. 2003; 13: 589–603.
10. Fogari R Zoppi A. New class of agents for treatment of hypertension: focus on direct renin inhibition. Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2010; 6: 869–82.
11. Lizakowski S Tylicki L Rutkowski B. Direct renin inhibition – a promising strategy for renal protection? Med SciMonit. 2013; 19: 451–7.
12. Oparil S Yarows SA Patel S Fang H Zhang J Satlin A. Efficacy and safety of combined use of aliskiren and valsartan in patients with hypertension: a randomised double-blind trial. Lancet. 2007; 370: 221–9.
13. McMurray JJV Pitt B Latini R et al. Effect of the oral direct renin inhibitor aliskiren in patients with symptomatic heart failure. Circ Heart Fail. 2008; 1: 17.
14. Ben-Menachem E Kyllerman M Marklund S. Superoxide dismutase and gluthatione peroxidase function in progressive myoclonus epilepsies. Epilepsy Res. 2000; 40: 33-9.
15. Naranjan SD Temsah MR Netticadan T. Role of oxidative stress in cardiovascular diseases. Journal of hypertension. 2000; 18.6: 655-73.
16. Matavelli LC Siragy HM. Reduction of aldosterone production improves renal oxidative stress and fibrosis in diabetic rats. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2013; 61(1): 17-22.
17. Wen Zhang Yi Han GuoliangMeng et al. Direct Renin Inhibition With Aliskiren Protects Against Myocardial Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury by Activating Nitric Oxide Synthase Signaling in Spontaneously Hypertensive Rats. J Am Heart Assoc. 2014; 3(1): e000606.
18. Green LC Wagner DA Glogowski J Skipper P.L. Wishnok J.S. Tannenbaum S.R. Analysis of nitrate nitrite and [15 N] nitrate in biological fluids. Anal. Biochem. 1982; 126: 131–8.
19. Ohkawa H Ohishi N Yagi K. Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anal Biochem. 1979; 95: 351–8.
20. Pick E Keisari Y. A simple colorimetric method for the measurement of hydrogen peroxide produced by cells in culture. J. Immunol. Methods. 1980; 38: 161–70.
21. Auclair C Voisin E. Nitroblue tetrazolium reduction. In: Handbook of methods for oxygen radical research (Ed R.A. Greenvvald). 1985; 123–32. CRC Press Boca Raton.
22. Frohlich ED. State of the Art lecture. Risk mechanisms in hypertensive heart disease. Hypertension. 1999; 34: 782–9.
23. Weng LQ Zhang WB Ye Y et al. Aliskiren ameliorates pressure overload-induced heart hypertrophy and fibrosis in mice. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2014; 35(8): 1005-14.
24. Santuzzi CH Tiradentes RV Mengal V et al. Combined aliskiren and L-arginine treatment has antihypertensive effects and prevents vascular endothelial dysfunction in a model of renovascular hypertension. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2015; 48(1): 65-76.
25. Savvatis K Westermann D Schultheiss HP Tschope C. First-line treatment of hypertension: critical appraisal of potential role of aliskiren and hydrochlorothiazide in a fixed combination. Integr Blood Press Control. 2010; 3: 163–70.
26. Duprez DA Davis P Botha J. The Ageless Study: The effect of aliskiren vs ramipril alone or in combination with hydrochlorothiazide and amlodipine in patients =65 years of age with systolic hypertension. Circulation.2008; 118: 886–7.
27. Stanton A Jensen C Nussberger J O’Brien E. Blood pressure lowering in essential hypertension with an oral renin inhibitor aliskiren. Hypertension. 2003; 42: 1137–43.
28. Gradman AH Schmieder RE Lins RL Nussberger J Chiang Y Bedigian MP. Aliskiren a novel orally effective renin inhibitor provides dose-dependent antihypertensive efficacy and placebo-like tolerability in hypertensive patients. Circulation. 2005; 111: 1012-8.
29. Schmieder RE Philipp T Guerediaga J et al. Long-term antihypertensive efficacy and safety of the oral direct renin inhibitor aliskiren: a 12-month randomized double-blind comparator trial with hydrochlorothiazide. Circulation. 2009; 119: 417–25.
30. Lu H Rateri DL Feldman DL et al. Renin inhibition reduces hypercholesterolemia-induced atherosclerosis in mice. J Clin Invest. 2008; 118(3): 984-93.
31. Renke M Lizakowski S Tylicki L et al. Aliskiren attenuates oxidative stress and improves tubular status in non-diabetic patients with chronic kidney disease-Placebo controlled randomized cross-over study. Adv Med Sci. 2014; 59(2): 256-60.
32. Imanishi T Tsujioka H Ikejima H et al. Renin inhibitor aliskiren improves impaired nitric oxide bioavailability and protects against atherosclerotic changes. Hypertension. 2008; 52(3): 563-72.
33. Yamamoto E Kataoka K Dong YF et al. Aliskiren enhances the protective effects of valsartan against cardiovascular and renal injury in endothelial nitric oxide synthase-deficient mice. Hypertension. 2009; 54(3): 633-8.
34. Imanishi T Tsujioka H Ikejima H et al. Renin inhibitor aliskiren improves impaired nitric oxide bioavailability and protects against atherosclerotic changes. Hypertension. 2008; 52(3): 563-72.
35. Kamal S. Aliskiren Augments the Activities of Anti-Oxidant Enzymes in Liver Homogenates of DOCA Salt-Induced Hypertensive Rats. SciRes. 2014; 2: 92-9.