Primary cutaneous CD4-positive small- to medium-sized pleomorphic T-cell lymphoma is a provisional entity in the 2005 WHO-EORTC classification for cutaneous lymphomas. It is a rare condition and, in most cases, it has a favorable clinical course and prognosis. Primary cutaneous CD4-positive small/medium pleomorphic T-cell lymphoma (PCSM-TCL) is defined as a cutaneous T-cell lymphoma with predominantly small- to medium-sized CD4-positive pleomorphic T-cells without a history of patches and plaques typical of mycosis fungoides. PCSM-TCL usually presents as a solitary plaque or tumor on the head, neck, trunk or upper extremities and it is considered to have indolent clinical behavior. Histologically, it is characterized by a dense infiltration of small/medium-sized pleomorphic T-cells that involves the entire dermal thickness, often with nodular extension into the hypodermis. Using immunohistochemical staining, the majority of the reported cases proved to be CD3, CD4 positive and CD8, CD30 negative. However, due to the rarity and heterogeneity of the PCSM-TCL, precise clinicopathologic characteristics of PCSM-TCL have not been well characterized and the optimal treatment for this group of lymphomas is yet to be defined. Dermatologists and pathologists should be aware of this entity in order to avoid unnecessary aggressive treatments.
Here we present a 30-year-old man with a solitary lesion on the scalp with histopathological features corresponding to PCSM-TCL. After surgical excision, the patient has been disease-free so far, with no additional therapy used to the present day with regular checkups.
3. Lim MS, de Leval L, Quintanilla-Martinez L. Commentary on the 2008 WHO classification of mature T- and NK-cell neoplasms. J Hematop. 2009;2(2):65-73.
4. Slater DN. The new World Health Organization-European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer classification for cutaneous lymphomas: a practical marriage of two giants. Br J Dermatol. 2005;153(5):874-80.
5. Garcia-Herrera A, Colomo L, Camós M, Carreras J, Balague O, Martinez A, et al. Primary cutaneous small/medium CD4+ T-cell lymphomas: a heterogeneous group of tumors with different clinicopathologic features and outcome. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26(20):3364-71.
6. Willemze R, Kerl H, Sterry W, Berti E, Cerroni L, Chimenti S, et al. EORTC classification for primary cutaneous lymphomas: a proposal from the Cutaneous Lymphoma Study Group of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer. Blood. 1997;90(1):354-71.
7. Choi M, Park SY, Park HS, Byun HJ, Cho KH. A case of primary cutaneous CD4 positive small/medium T cell lymphoma. Ann Dermatol. 2011;23(1):76-80.
8. Neoplasms of the skin - Cutaneous T-cell lymphoma. In: Bolognia JL, Jorizzo JL, Schaffer JV. Dermatology. Volume 2. New York: Elsevier; 2012. p. 2034.
9. Lan TT, Brown NA, Hristov AC. Controversies and considerations in the diagnosis of primary cutaneous CD4+ small/medium T-cell lymphoma. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2014;138(10):1307-18.
10. Beltraminelli H, Leinweber B, Kerl H, Cerroni L. Primary cutaneous CD4+ small-/medium-sized pleomorphic T-cell lymphoma: a cutaneous nodular proliferation of pleomorphic T lymphocytes of undetermined significance? A study of 136 cases. Am J Dermatopathol. 2009;31(4):317-22.
11. Alberti-Violetti S, Torres-Cabala CA, Talpur R, Corti L, Fanoni D, Venegoni L, et al. Clinicopathological and molecular study of primary cutaneous CD4+ small/medium-sized pleomorphic T-cell lymphoma. J Cutan Pathol. 2016;43(12):1121-30.
12. Grogg KL, Jung S, Erickson LA, McClure RF, Dogan A. Primary cutaneous CD4-positive small/medium-sized pleomorphic T-cell lymphoma: a clonal T-cell lymphoproliferative disorder with indolent behavior. Mod Pathol. 2008;21(6);708-15.
13. Leinweber B, Beltraminelli H, Kerl H, Cerroni L. Solitary small- to medium-sized pleomorphic T-cell nodules of undetermined significance: clinical histopathological immunohistochemical and molecular analysis of 26 cases. Dermatology. 2009;219(1):42-7.
14. Rodríguez Pinilla SM, Roncador G, Rodríguez-Peralto JL, Mollejo M, García JF, Montes-Moreno S, et al. Primary cutaneous CD4+ small/medium-sized pleomorphic T-cell lymphoma expresses follicular T-cell markers. Am J Surg Pathol. 2009;33(1):81-90.
15. Bekkenk MW, Vermeer MH, Jansen PM, van Marion AM, Canninga-van Dijk MR, Kluin PM, et al. Peripheral T-cell lymphomas unspecified presenting in the skin: analysis of prognostic factors in a group of 82 patients. Blood. 2003;102(6):2213-9.
16. Von den Driesch P, Coors EA. Localized cutaneous small to medium-sized pleomorphic T-cell lymphoma: a report of 3 cases stable for years. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2002;46(4):531-5.
17. Messeguer F, Gimeno E, Agusti-Mejias A, San Juan J. Primary cutaneous CD4+ small- to medium-sized pleomorphic T-cell lymphoma: report of a case with spontaneous resolution. Actas Dermosifiliogr. 2011;102(8):636-8.