The Pan-Slavic Association of Dermatovenereologists (PSADVs) was founded in May 1928, and it included dermatologic associations of Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, Poland and Yugoslavia. Its president was Prof. Krzysztalowicz from Poland. The 1st Congress of this association was held in Warsaw in 1929, and the 2nd Congress was organized by the Association of Dermatovenereologists of Yugoslavia (ADVY), in Belgrade in 1931. The president of the Organizing Committee was Prof. Đorđe Đorđevic, and the secretary Assoc. Prof. Milan Kićevac from the Clinic of Dermatovenereology in Belgrade. The Congress was attended by representatives of Slavic national associations, as well as by representatives of French, Romanian, Greek and Turkish dermatology. The number of participants amounted to 160 physicians and 60 members of their families.
According to the report of Ilić S., 104 papers had been presented: 48 from Yugoslavia (37 from Serbia, 3 from Croatia, 3 from Macedonia, and 5 from Bosnia), 23 from Czechoslovakia, 18 from Poland, 8 from France, 5 from Romania, 1 from Turkey, and 1 from Greece.
Most papers were from the area of sexually transmitted diseases: 43 papers (41.35% of the total number). Out of these, 27 papers were on syphilis, followed by gonorrhea with 9 papers. There were both research and experimental papers. The authors insisted on assessing diagnostic and therapeutic issues, as well as disease prevention.
The second most frequent group of diseases accounted for eczema. The problem included the defi nition and pathogenesis of the disease. The third group of diseases was tuberculosis. The results of experiments on animals were studied pointing out the need for reclassifi cation of skin tuberculosis in relation to internal tuberculosis.
A small number of papers were on other infections of the skin and genitals, as well as individual cases of various dermatoses. During the Congress, social events were also organized, as well as a banquet on the ship Alexander I cruising on the Danube and Sava. Optional travel tours to all parts of Yugoslavia were also offered.
Soon after the Congress, foreign journals published reports on its high professional level and the entire organization.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Lalević-Vasić BM Jovanović M. History of dermatology and venereology in Serbia - part IV/1: Dermatovenereology in Serbia from 1919-1945. Serb J Derm Venereol 2010;2(1):5-12.
2. Skup jugoslovenskih dermatologa i venerologa i osnivanje Jugoslovenskog dermatovenerološkog društva [Meeting of the Yugoslav dermatologists and venereologists and foundation of the Association of dermatovenereologists of Yugoslavia]. Srp Arh Celok Lek 1928;30(2):147-9. (Serbian).
3. Grzybowski A. Polish dermatology in the 19th and the fi rst half of the 20th centuries. Int J Dermatol 2008;47:91-101.
4. Ilić S. II kongres Sveslovenskog dermatološkog Saveza [2nd Congress of the Pan-Slavic association of dermatologists]. Med Pregl 1931;6(8);229-34. (Serbian).
5. Sednica Centralnog odbora Sveslovenskog lekarskog saveza [Meeting of the central committee of the Pan-Slavic medical association]. Med Pregl 1930;5(2):64. (Serbian).
6. Resl V Zahejski J Hercogova J. Czech society of dermatology and venereology. In: Hercogova J Delescluse J Lotti TM eds. Millenium dermatologicum. European handbook of dermatological societes. Hradec Kralove: Aurius; 2002. p. 45-50.
7. Gorkiewicz-Petkow A Glinski W. Central East European dermato-venereological association - a short history. CEEDVA Bulletin 1999;20(1):3-4.
8. Ilić S. II Kongres Sveslovenskog dermatološkog saveza [2nd Congress of the Pan-Slavic association of dermatologists]. Med Pregl 1931;6(10):293-4. (Serbian).
9. Ilić S. Sveslovenski dermatološki Kongres u Beogradu [Congress of the Pan-Slavic association of dermatologists in Belgrade]. Med Pregl 1931;6(11):325-6. (Serbian).
10. Ilić S. Sveslovenski dermatološki Kongres u Beogradu [Congress of the Pan-Slavic association of dermatologists in Belgrade]. Med Pregl 1931;6(12):353-4. (Serbian).
11. Ilić S. Ilić S. Sveslovenski dermatološki Kongres u Beogradu [Congress of the Pan-Slavic association of dermatologists in Belgrade]. Med Pregl 1932;7(1):19-20. (Serbian).
12. Ilić S. Ilić S. Sveslovenski dermatološki Kongres u Beogradu [Congress of the Pan-Slavic association of dermatologists in Belgrade]. Med Pregl 1932;7(2):42-4. (Serbian).
13. Ilić S. Ilić S. Sveslovenski dermatološki Kongres u Beogradu [Congress of the Pan-Slavic association of dermatologists in Belgrade]. Med Pregl 1932;7(3):62-4. (Serbian).
14. Zbirka tekstova referata predatih za II Sveslovenski kongres dermatologa 1931. Arhiva Dermato-venerološke klinike u Beogradu [Collection of papers submitted for the 2nd Congress of Pan-Slavic dermatologists 1931. Archive of the Dermatovenereology clinic in Belgrade].
15. Redakcija „Medicinskog Pregleda“ pozdravlja II Sveslovenski dermatološki kongres u Beogradu [Th e Editoroal board of the „Medical Review“ pays respect to the 2nd congress of Pan-Slavic dermatologists in Belgrade]. Med Pregl 1931;6(7):177-201. (Serbian).
16. Hercogova J Delescluse J Lotti MI eds. Millenium dermatologicum. European handbook of dermatological societies . Hradec Kralove: Aurius; 2002.
17.Final report of the Tuskegee Syphilis Study Legacy Committee. May 20 1996. [cited 2012 Apr 21]. Available from: http://www.hsl.virginia.edu/historical/medical_history/ bad_blood/report.cfm
18.“Ethycally impossible” STD Research in Guatemala from 1946 to 1948. [cited 2012 Apr 21]. Available from: http.// bioethics.gov/cms/node/306
19. Kogoj F. Izliječenje sifi lisa u vidu novih seroloških reakcija [Cure for syphilis by using new serological reactions]. Med Pregl 1931;6(7):180-4. (Serbian)
20. Bugarski S. Provokacija spirohete palide i luetičnih oblika pomoću Preglovog rastvora (Presojod Pregl). Inokulacije na zečevima sa skraćenom inkubacijom [Provocation of Spirochaeta pallidum and luetic forms using Pregl’s solution. Rabits inoculated with a short incubation period]. Med Pregl 1931;6(7):196-8. (Serbian).
21. Abraham JJ. Some account of the history of the treatment of syphilis. Br J Vener Dis 1948;24(4):153-60.
22. Champion RH. Cutaneous reaction to cold. In: Rook A Wilkinson DS Ebling FJG Champion RH Burton JL eds. Textbook of dermatology. 4th ed. Oxford: Blackwell Scientifi c Publication; 1986. p. 633-4.
23. Đorđević Đ. Delovanje adrenalina kod akutne gonoreje i uspeh lečenja adrenalinom [Eff ects of adrenaline on acute gonorrhea and its treatment results]. Med Pregl 1931;6(7):177-80. (Serbian).
24. Schade H Marchionini A. Der Sauremantel der Haut. Klin Wochenschr 1928;7:12-4.
25. Kićevac M. Klinika za kožne i venerične bolesti [Clinic of skin and venereal diseases]. U: Medicinski fakultet Univerziteta u Beogradu 1920-1935 [In: School of medicine University of Belgrade 1920 - 1935. Belgrade: School of medicine]. Beograd: Medicinski fakultet; p. 125-31. (Serbian).
26. Milošević S. Jedan slučaj trihofi tije izazvan novom vrstom Trichophyton-a T. Langeroni n.sp. [A case of trichophytia caused by a new species of Trichophyton T. Langeroni n.sp.]. Med Pregl 1931;6(7):184-7. (Serbian).