What is the source of the antipathy of Catholic intellectuals toward free markets? That is the issue addressed in the present paper. We see the antecedents of this viewpoint of theirs in terms of secular humanism, Marxism and mistaken views of morality and economics. One of the explanations for this phenomenon are the teachings of St Augustine. He greatly distrusted the City of Man, seeing it as anarchic and chaotic. In contrast, his City of God is more orderly, but far removed from the hurly burly of free enterprise. Another source of the rejection of capitalism on the part of Catholic intellectuals is liberation theology, which is Marxism minus the atheism of that doctrine. Both economic and cultural Marxism have played a role in the alienation of such intellectuals from the tenets of laissez faire capitalism. Are there any counter currents? Yes, the School of Salamanca, which has been all but forgotten in this community.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Augustine. The City of God = De Civitate Dei London: Dent 1945.
2. Augustine. The Problem of Free Choice = De Libero Arbitrio Transl. by M. Pontifex Westminster: Md. Newman 1955.
3. Barnett W. Human Nature the Bishops and the American Economy Loyola Law Review 33 203 1987-1988.
4. Block W. Focus on Economics and the Canadian Bishops Vancouver: The Fraser Institute 1983.
5. Block W. Neglect of the Marketplace: The Questionable Economics of America’s Bishops Notre Dame Journal of Law Ethics and Public Policy 2 1 1985 pp. 125-160.
6. Block W. Liberation Theology and the Economy Grail: An Ecumenical Journal I 3 September 1985 pp. 75-85.
7. Block W. The U.S. Bishops and Their Critics: An Economic and Ethical Perspective Vancouver: The Fraser Institute 1986.
8. Block W. Economics of the Canadian Bishops Contemporary Policy Issues VI 1 January 1988 pp. 56-68.
9. Block W. Discussion The Preferential Option for the Poor R. J. Neuhaus (ed.) Grand Rapids Mich.: William E. Eerdmans Publishing Co. 1988 pp. 87-114.
10. Block W. Hayek’s Road to Serfdom Journal of Libertarian Studies: An Interdisciplinary Review 12 2 Fall 1996 pp. 327-350.
11. Block W. E. Religion and Libertarianism: Ayn Rand was wrong June 18 2008.
12. Block W. E. Ayn Rand Religion and Libertarianism Journal of Ayn Rand Studies 11 1 21 July 2011 pp. 63-79.
13. Block W. & and G. Yeatts. The Economics and Ethics of Land Reform: A Critique of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace’s ‘Toward a Better Distribution of Land: The Challenge of Agrarian Reform’ Journal of Natural Resources and Environmental Law 15 1 1999-2000 pp. 37-69.
14. Booth P. (ed.). Catholic social teaching and the market economy London: Institute of Economic Affairs 2007.
15. Brookes E. H. The conversion of Constantine and the establishment Theoria: A Journal of Social and Political Theory 35 1970 pp. 31-34.
16. Carden A. Christian Ethics Formal Institutions and Economic Growth American Review of Political Economy 5(1) 2007 pp. 34-53.
17. Casilli R. Why the Pope Just Asked Protestants for Forgiveness Newsweek Reuters 17 May 2016.
18. Chafuen A. A. Christians for Freedom: Late Scholastic Economics San Francisco: Ignatius Press 1986.
19. Chafuen A. A. Faith and Liberty: The Economic Thought of the Late Scholastics Studies in Ethics and Economics Lanham: Lexington 2003.
20. Engels F. Principles of Communism. www.marxists.org N.p. 1999. Web. 02 May 2017. A draft document by Engels published posthumously. First Published: 1914 Eduard Bernstein in the German Social Democratic Party’s Vorwärts.
21. Grice-Hutchinson M. The School of Salamanca: Readings in Spanish Monetary Theory 1544-1605 Auburn Ala.: Ludwig Von Mises Institute 2009 .
22. Gwartney J. R. Lawson & W. E. Block. Economic Freedom of the World 1975-1995 Vancouver B.C. Canada: the Fraser Institute 1996.
23. Hayek F. A. The Road To Serfdom Chicago: The University of Chicago Press 1944.
24. Hill F. Bill Gates Has Done More To Help People Than Mother Teresa December 8 2013.http://www.telemachusleaps.com/2013/12/bill-gates-has-done-more-to-help-people.html
25. Huddleston T. Jr. 5 Times Pope Francis Talked About Moneywww.fortune.com. Fortune 15 Sept. 2015. Web. 8 May 2017.
26. Leo XIII. Rerum Novarum 26 Mar. 1967. 2 May. 2017. Web.
27. Lewis P. Who’s better? Bill Gates or Mother Teresa? February 3 2017. http://www.wnd.com/2017/02/whos-better-bill-gates-or-mother-teresa/#GmYMfdHx5SFA5D6z.99
28. Light Ch. & W. E. Block. Christianity the Free Market and Libertarianism Studia Humana Vol. 6 No. 4 2017 pp. 34-44.
29. Marx K. A Contribution to the Critique of Hegel’s Philosophy of Right 1844. Deutsch-Französische Jahrbücher (1844): n. pag. Marxists.org. 7 Feb. 1844. Web. 8 May 2017.
30. Martin R. The Two Cities in Augustine’s Political Philosophy Journal of the History of Ideas 33.2 1972 pp. 195-216.
31. McElroy W. Can a Principled Libertarian Go to War? July 6 2011.
32. Nash R. H. (ed.). Liberation Theology Milford Michigan: Mott Media Inc. 1984.
33. North G. Tools of Dominion: The Case Laws of Exodus Tyler TX: Institute for Christian Economics 1990.
34. North G. Millenialism and the Progressive Movement The Journal of Libertarian Studies 12 1 1996 pp. 121-142.
35. Novak M. The Spirit of Democratic Capitalism Simon & Schuster: New York 1978.
36. Novak M. The Denigration of Capitalism Washington D. C.: American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy 1979.
37. Novak M. (ed.). Capitalism and Socialism Washington D. C.: American Institute for Public Policy Research 1979.
38. Novak M. (ed.). Liberation South Liberation North Washington D. C.: American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy 1981.
39. Novak M. The Liberal Society as Liberation Theology Notre Dame Journal of Law Ethics and Public Policy V. 2 1 1985.
40. Nozick R. Anarchy State and Utopia New York: Basic Books 1974.
41. Ogus A. I. Law and Spontaneous Order: Hayek’s Contribution to Legal Theory Journal of Law and Society 16.4 1989.
42. Parker G. Success And Failure During The First Century Of The Reformation Past and Present 136.1 1992 pp. 43-82.
43. John Paul II. Laborem Exercens 15 Sept. 1981. 2 May. 2017. Web.
44. Paul IV. Populorum Progressio 26 Mar. 1967. 2 May. 2017. Web.
45. Ritenour S. Foundations of Economics: A Christian View Wipf and Stock: Publishers 2010.
46. Rockwell Jr. & H. Llewellyn. Free Market Economists: 400 Years Ago The Freeman: Ideas on Liberty 45 9 1995.
47. Rothbard M. N. Economic Controversies Auburn Alabama: Ludwig Von Mises Institute 2011.
48. Rothbard M. N. New Light on the Prehistory of the Austrian School In. E. G. Dolan (ed.) The Foundations of Modern Austrian Economics Kansas City: Sheed & Ward Inc. 1976 pp. 52-74.
49. Rothbard. M. N. An Austrian Perspective on the History of Economic Thought London: Edward Elgar 1995.
50. Rothbard M. N. Just War In J. V. Denson (ed.) The Costs of War: America’s Pyrrhic Victories New Brunswick N. J.: Transaction Publishers 1997.
51. Schall J. V. Liberation Theology San Francisco: Ignatius Press 1982.
52. Schall J. V. Religion Wealth and Poverty Vancouver: The Fraser Institute 1989.
53. Schansberg E. D. Turn Neither to the Right Nor to the Left Christian Life and Public Policy Series Alertness Books 2003.
54. Sebast E. Mother Teresa or Bill Gates? May 23 2016; https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/motherteresa-bill-gates-eric-sebast
55. Sirico R. A. Moral Base for Liberty Irvington-on-Hudson N.Y.: Foundation for Economic Education 1996.
56. Sirico R. A. Capitalism Morality and Markets London: Institute for Economic Affairs 2001.
57. Huerta de Soto J. New Light on the Prehistory of the Theory of Banking and the School of Salamanca The Review of Austrian Economics 9 2 1996 pp. 59-81.
58. Huerta de Soto J. Juan De Mariana: The Influence of the Spanish Scholastics 2004 https://www.scribd.com/document/328171967/Juan-de-Mariana-the-Influence-of-the-Spanish-Scholastics.
59. Huerta de Soto J. Biography of Juan de Mariana: The Influence of the Spanish Scholastics (1536-1624) August 1 2007 https://mises.org/library/biography-juan-de-mariana-influence-spanishscholastics-1536-1624.
60. The Editors of Encyclopædia Britannica. Templar Religious Military Order Encyclopædia Britannica Encyclopædia Britannica Inc. n.d. Web. 8 May 2017.
61. The Holy Bible: Containing the Old and New Testaments with the Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical Books New York: Oxford University Press 1989.
62. Vance L. M. Christianity and War and Other Essays Against the Warfare State Pensacola Florida: Vance Publications 2008 2nd edition.
63. Vance L. Is Libertarianism Compatible With Religion? March 15 2011 http://libertarianchristians.com/2011/03/16/is-libertarianism-compatible-with-religion/
64. Watner C. ‘All Mankind is One’: The Libertarian Tradition in Sixteenth Century Spain The Journal of Libertarian Studies 8 2 1987 pp. 293-310.
65. Whitehead R Walter E. Block & P. Tinsley. Christian Landlords and the Free Exercise Clause: Sinners Need Not Apply Oklahoma City University Law Review 33 1 2008 pp. 115-150.
66. Woods T. E. Jr. Catholic Social Teaching and Economic Law: An Unresolved Tension 2002 http://www.mises.org/asc/2002/asc8-woods.pdf.
67. Woods T. E. Jr. Morality and Economic Law: Toward a Reconciliation 2004 http://www.mises.org/fullstory.asp?control=1481
68. Woods T. E. Jr. The Church and the Market: A Catholic Defense of the Free Economy Lanham Md.: Rowman and Littlefield 2005.
69. Woods T. E. Jr. An Open Letter to the Catholic Community in Behalf of Ron Paul November 21 2007 http://www.lewrockwell.com/woods/woods83.html
70. Woods T. E. Jr. The Attractiveness of Austrian Economics July 21 2013 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DStLhWMRERM