In recent centuries Christians of various denominations have endorsed many different political philosophies that they see as being truly biblical in their approach. Over this time there has been an increasing hostility, by some Christians, towards free markets and political philosophies that hold human liberty as the highest goal such as libertarianism and classical liberalism. This criticism is unwarranted and misplaced as libertarianism and free markets are not only compatible with Christianity, they are also the most biblically sound of all economics systems and political philosophies endorsed by Christians today. Therefore, this paper will argue that Christians of all denominations should endorse free markets and libertarianism if they wish to create a world that follows biblical principles and the teachings of Jesus.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Ahiakpor J. C. W. Rashid on Adam Smith: In Need of Proof The Journal of Libertarian Studies Vol. 10 No. 2 Fall 1992 pp. 171-180.
2. Ahiakpor J. C. W. Did Adam Smith Retard the Development of Economic Analysis? A Critique of Murray Rothbard’s Interpretation The Independent Review 3 No. 3 (Winter) 1999 pp. 355–83.
3. Ahiakpor J. C. W. On Aspromourgos’s Mistaken Reading of Adam Smith’s Price Theory History of Economic Ideas 16 No. 3 (Summer) 2008 pp. 119–24.
4. Barnett W. Human Nature the Bishops and the American Economy 33 Loyola Law Review 203 1987-1988.
5. Beane L. Capitalism is the Only Divinely-Sanctioned Economic System 2014 Retrieved from: http://fatherhollywood.blogspot.com/2014/05/capitalism-is-only-divinely-sanctioned.html.
6. Benedict Pope. 2009 Love in Truth; http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/encyclicals/documents/hf_ben-xvi_enc_20090629_caritas-in-veritate_en.html
7. Block W. Focus on Economics and the Canadian Bishops Vancouver: The Fraser Institute 1983.
8. Block W. E. Neglect of the Marketplace: The Questionable Economics of America’s Bishops Notre Dame Journal of Law Ethics and Public Policy Vol. 2 No. 1 1985a pp. 125-160.
9. Block W. E. Liberation Theology and the Economy Grail: An Ecumenical Journal Vol. I No. 3 September 1985b pp. 75-85.
10. Block W. E. The U.S. Bishops and Their Critics: An Economic and Ethical Perspective Vancouver: The Fraser Institute 1986.
11. Block W. E. Economics of the Canadian Bishops Contemporary Policy Issues Vol. VI No. 1 January 1988 pp. 56-68.
12. Block W. E. Religion and Libertarianism: Ayn Rand was wrong June 18 2008.
13. Block W. E. Religion and libertarianism July 7 2012.
14. Block W. E. and Yeatts G. The Economics and Ethics of Land Reform: A Critique of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace’s ‘Toward a Better Distribution of Land: The Challenge of Agrarian Reform’ Journal of Natural Resources and Environmental Law Vol. 15 No. 1 1999-2000 pp. 37-69.
15. Booth P. (ed.). Catholic social teaching and the market economy London: Institute of Economic Affairs 2007.
16. Carden A. Christian Ethics Formal Institutions and Economic Growth American Review of Political Economy 5(1) 2007 pp. 34-53.
17. Chafuen A. A. Christians for Freedom: Late Scholastic Economics San Francisco: Ignatius Press 1986.
18. Chafuen A. A. Faith and Liberty: The Economic Thought of the Late Scholastics Studies in Ethics and Economics Lanham: Lexington 2003.
19. Epstein M. Block W. E. and Woods Jr. T. Chesterton and Belloc: A Critique Independent Review Vol. 11 No. 4 2007 pp. 579-594.
20. Francis Pope. Praise Be to You – Laudato Si’: On Care for Our Common Home; http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/encyclicals/documents/papa-francesco_20150524_enciclica-laudato-si.html
21. Gasaway B. W. Progressive Evangelicals and the pursuit of social justice The University of North Carolina Press 2014.
22. Grice-Hutichinson M. The School of Salamanca Oxford: Oxford University Press 1952.
23. Hananoki E. Mike Huckabee’s ‘Leftwing Argument Against Capitalism’ January 12 2012; http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/01/12/mike-huckabees-leftwing-argument-against-capita/186134.
24. Heyne P. The U.S. Catholic Bishops and the Pursuit of Justice Cato Policy Analysis No. 50 March 1985.
25. Huerta de Soto J. New Light on the Prehistory of the Theory of Banking and the School of Salamanca The Review of Austrian Economics Vol. 9 No. 2 1996 pp. 59-81.
26. Huerta de Soto J. Juan De Mariana: The Influence of the Spanish Scholastics 2004; https://www.scribd.com/document/328171967/Juan-de-Mariana-the-Influence-of-the-Spanish-Scholastics
27. Huerta de Soto J. Biography of Juan de Mariana: The Influence of the Spanish Scholastics (1536-1624) August 1 2007; https://mises.org/library/biography-juan-de-mariana-influence-spanish-scholastics-1536-1624
28. Huerta de Soto J. Juan de Mariana and the Spanish Scholastics 2017; http://www.jesushuertadesoto.com/articles/articles-in-english/juan-de-mariana-and-the-spanish-scholastics/
29. Ianelli J. and Block W. E. The Moral Resonance of Catholic Globalization Perspectives Humanomics Vol. 25 No. 3 2009 pp. 189-196.
30. John Paul Pope Laborem Exercens 1981 http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_14091981_laborem-exercens_en.html
31. John Paul Pope. Sollicitudo Rei Socialis 1987 http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_30121987_sollicitudo-rei-socialis_en.html
32. John Paul Pope. Centesimus Annus 1991 http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_01051991_centesimus-annus_en.html
33. Leo XIII Pope. Rerum Novarum 1891 http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/leo_xiii/encyclicals/documents/hf_l-xiii_enc_15051891_rerum-novarum_en.html
34. McElroy W. Can a Principled Libertarian Go to War? July 6 2011; https://mises.org/daily/5431/
35. Mises L. Socialism: An Economic and Sociological Analysis Auburn: The Ludwig von Mises Institute 2009.
36. Novak M. The Spirit of Democratic Capitalism New York: Simon & Schuster 1978.
37. Novak M. (ed.). The Denigration of Capitalism Washington D.C.: American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy 1979a.
38. Novak M. (ed.). Capitalism and Socialism Washington D.C.: American Institute for Public Policy Research 1979b.
39. Novak M. (ed.). Liberation South Liberation North Washington D.C.: American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy 1981a.
40. Novak M. (ed.). The Corporation: A Theological Inquiry Washington D.C.: American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research 1981b.
41. Novak M. George J. Gillespie Michael Joyce William E. Simon Patricia Leeds. Toward the Future: Catholic Social Thought and the U.S. Economy – A Lay Letter New York: Lay Commission on Catholic Social Teaching and the U.S. Economy 1984.
42. Novak M. The Liberal Society as Liberation Theology Notre Dame Journal of Law Ethics and Public Policy Vol. 2 No. 1 1985a.
43. Novak Michael. B. “The Two Catholic Letters on the U.S. Economy” in Challenge and Response Robert Royal ed. Washington D.C. Ethics and Public Policy Center 1985 pp. 30-32.
44. Novak Michael. “The Bishops and the Poor” Commentary Magazine May 1985 pp. 20-22.
45. Novak M. Will it Liberate? Questions about Liberation Theology New York: Paulist Press 1986.
47. Novak M. The Catholic Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism New York: The Free Press 1993.
48. Paul VI Pope. Gaudium et Spes 1965; http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_cons_19651207_gaudium-et-spes_en.html
49. Paul VI Pope. Populorum Progressio 1967; http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_26031967_populorum_en.html
50. Pesch H. Lehrbuch der Nationalökonomie (Teaching Guide to Economics) 5 Vol. transl. by R J. Ederer Lewiston New York: Edwin Mellen Press 1905-1923.
51. Pesch H. Liberalismus Socialismus und Christliche Gesellschaftsordnung Vol. 2 Herder 1900; Liberalism Socialism and Christian Social Order transl. by R. J. Ederer Edwin Mellen Press 2000.
52. Principle of non-aggression. 2014. Retrieved April 3 2015 from http://wiki.mises.org/wiki/Principle_of_non-aggression
53. Ritenour S. Foundations of Economics: A Christian View. Eugene Oregon: Wipf and Stock Publishers 2010; http://wipfandstock.com/store/Foundations_of_Economics_A_Christian_Viewhttp://www.foundationsofeconomics.com
54. Rockwell Jr. and Llewellyn H. Free Market Economists: 400 Years Ago The Freeman: Ideas on Liberty. Vol. 45 No.9 1995.
55. Rothbard M. N. War Peace and the State The Standard April 1963 pp. 2-5; 15-16. http://www.mises.org/rothbard/warpeace.asp
56. Rothbard M. N. New Light on the Prehistory of the Austrian School In. E. G. Dolan (ed.) The Foundations of Modern Austrian Economics Kansas City: Sheed & Ward Inc. 1976 pp. 52-74.
57. Rothbard M. N. The Ethics of Liberty Atlantic Highlands: Humanities Press 1982.
58. Rothbard M. N. Adam Smith Reconsidered Austrian Economics Newsletter Auburn AL: The Ludwig von Mises Institute 1987 pp. 5-7. Reprinted in Austrian Economics (Vol. 1) by S. Littlechild Brookfield VT: Edward Elgar Publishing Company 1990 pp. 41-44.
59. Rothbard M. N. Just War In. J. V. Denson (ed.) The Costs of War: America’s Pyrrhic Victories New Brunswick N.J.: Transaction Publishers 1997.
60. Rothbard M. N. Economic Thought before Adam Smith: An Austrian Perspective on the History of Economics Thought Vol. 1 Cheltenham Glos: Edward Elgar 1995.
61. Ryan J. A. A Living Wage: Its Ethical and Economic Aspects New York: Macmillan Co. 1906.
62. Ryan J. A. Distributive Justice: The Right and Wrong of Our Present Distribution of Wealth New York: Macmillan Co. 1916.
63. Ryan J. A. The Church and Socialism and Other Essays Washington: The University Press 1919.
64. Ryan J. A. The Supreme Court and the Minimum Wage New York: Paulist Press 1923.
65. Sider R. J. Rich Christians in an age of hunger; moving from affluence to generosity Nashville TN: Thomas Nelson 2005.
66. Sider R. J. Just Generosity Grand Rapids Michigan: Baker Books 2007.
67. Sirico R. A. Moral Base for Liberty Irvington-on-Hudson N.Y.: Foundation for Economic Education 1996.
68. Sirico R. A. Capitalism Morality and Markets London: Institute for Economic Affairs 2001.
69. Vance L. M. Book review of How Capitalism Saved America: The Untold History of our Country the Pilgrims to the Present (New York: Crown Forum 2004) The Quarterly Journal of Austrian Economics Vol. 8 No. 1 2005 pp. 81-86.
70. Vance L. M. An Open Letter to the Protestant Community in Behalf of Ron Paul November 14 2007; http://www.lewrockwell.com/vance/vance127.html
71. Vance L. M. Christianity and War and Other Essays Against the Warfare State Pensacola Florida: Vance Publications 2nd edition 2008a.
72. Vance L. M. The Myth of the Just Price March 31 2008b; http://mises.org/daily/2918
73. Vance L. M. Rethinking the Good War September 2 2009; http://www.lewrockwell.com/vance/vance181.html
74. Vance L. Is Libertarianism Compatible With Religion? March 15 2011; http://libertarianchristians.com/2011/03/16/is-libertarianism-compatible-with-religion/
75. Vance L. M. My Antiwar Odyssey August 22 2012; http://www.lewrockwell.com/2012/08/laurence-m-vance/my-antiwar-odyssey/
76. Watner Carl. ‘All Mankind is One’: The Libertarian Tradition in Sixteenth Century Spain The Journal of Libertarian Studies Vol. 8 No. 2 1987 pp. 293-310.
77. Williams W. E. Good Intentions – Bad Results: The Economic Pastoral and America’s Disadvantaged Notre Dame Journal of Law Ethics and Public Policy Vol. 2 Issue No. 1 1985 pp. 179-199.
78. Woods Jr. T. Catholic Social Teaching and Economics Law: An Unresolved Tension March 2002; http://archive.lewrockwell.com/woods/woods8.html
79. Woods Jr. T. E. Morality and Economic Law: Toward a Reconciliation 2004; http://www.mises.org/fullstory.asp?control=1481
80. Woods T. E. Jr. The Church and the Market: A Catholic Defense of the Free Economy Lanham Md.: Rowman and Littlefield 2005.
81. Woods T. An Open Letter to the Catholic Community in Behalf of Ron Paul November 21 2007; http://www.lewrockwell.com/woods/woods83.html
82. Woods Jr. T. E. The Attractiveness of Austrian Economics July 21 2013; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DStLhWMRERM