Due to information technology development and its industrial adaptation, the dilemmas so far specific to philosophical speculations and science-fiction literature and films have become the real problems of the contemporary world. On one hand, these issues are related to an unprecedented scale on which computational algorithms are currently used as well as a level of complexity of mutual connections; on the other hand, these are linked to their autonomous behavior. States, industry, and users themselves demand formulation of understandable ethical categories and determination of transparency standards and legal norms for these algorithms’ functioning in the near future.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Allcott H. & Gentzkow M. Social Media and Fake News in the 2016 Election National Bureau of Economic Research 2017.
2. Asimov I. Świat robotów Warszawa: Varia APD 1993.
3. Asimov I. Roboty i Imperium Poznań: Dom Wydawniczy ‘Rebis’ 2014.
4. Balkin J. M. The Path of Robotics Law The Circuit Paper 72
5. Booth R. Facebook reveals news feed experiment to control emotions The Guardian 2014. Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/29/facebook-users-emotions-news-feeds/ accessed: 2016-02-28
6. Bright P. Microsoft terminates its Tay AI chatbot after she turns into a Nazi Ars Technica 2016 Available at: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/03/microsoft-terminates-its-tay-ai-chatbot-after-she-turns-into-a-nazi/ accessed: 2017-03-01.
7. Calo R. Robots in American Law Legal Studies Research Paper vol. 2016-04 2016.
8. Calo R. Robotics and the Lessons of Cyberlaw Cal. L. Rev. vol. 103 pp. 513–563.
9. Campa R. Technological Unemployment. A Brief History of an Idea International Sociological Association eSymposium 2017.
10. Campa R. Humans and Automata. A Social Study of Robotics Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang 2015.
11. Castelvecchi D. Can we open the black box of AI? Nature vol. 538 no. 7623 2016 pp. 20–23.
12. Data Center Outlook – Strong Demand Smart Growth North America 2016. Jones Lang LaSalle IP Inc. 2016.
13. Data Center UPS Market Analysis By Product (Small Data Centers Medium Data Centers Large Data Centers) And Segment Forecasts To 2020. Available at: http://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/data-center-ups-market/ accessed: 2016-02-28.
14. Diamandis P. If Robots and AI Steal Our Jobs a Universal Basic Income Could Help Singularity Hub 2016. Available at: https://singularityhub.com/2016/12/13/if-robots-steal-our-jobs-a-universal-basic-income-could-help/ accessed: 2017-03-01.
15. Dorda W. Duftschmid G. Gerhold L. Gall W. & Gambal J. Introducing the electronic health record in Austria Studies in health technology and informatics vol. 116 2005 pp. 119–124.
16. Ethically Aligned Design. IEEE 2016.
17. Falk C. Auditing Deep Neural Networks and Other Black-box Models 2016. Available at: http://thesis.haverford.edu/dspace/handle/10066/18664/ accessed: 2017-03-01.
18. Frankel S. 5 predictions for artificial intelligence for the coming year ReadWrite 2016. Available at: http://readwrite.com/2016/12/15/5-predictions-for-artificial-intelligence-in-2017-dl1/ accessed: 2017-03-01.
19. Google Annual Search Statistics. Statistic Brain 2016. Available at: http://www.statisticbrain.com/google-searches/ accessed: 2016-02-28.
20. Greene J. D. Our driverless dilemma Science vol. 352 no. 6293 2016 pp. 1514–1515.
21. Guetlein M. A. Lethal autonomous weapons – ethical and doctrinal implications Joint Military Operations Department Naval War College 2005.
22. Helbing D. et al. Will Democracy Survive Big Data and Artificial Intelligence? Scientific American 2017. Available at: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/will-democracy-survive-big-data-and-artificial-intelligence/ accessed: 2017-03-01.
23. Herbek S. et al. The Electronic Health Record in Austria: a strong network between health care and patients European Surgery vol. 44 2012 pp. 155–163.
24. Industry 4.0. Australian Government Department of Industry Innovation and Science Available at: https://industry.gov.au/industry/Industry-4-0/Pages/default.aspx accessed: 2017-03-01.
25. Japanese scholars issue ethical guidelines on AI NHK World (2017) Available at: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20170228_36/ accessed: 2017-03-01.
26. Jurevicius O. Google mission statement 2013 Strategic Management Insight 2013. Available at: https://www.strategicmanagementinsight.com/mission-statements/google-mission-statement.html accessed: 2016-02-28.
27. Kharpal A. Mark Cuban: Basic income ‘the worst possible response’ to job losses from robots CNBC 2017. Available at: http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/22/mark-cuban-basic-income-worst-response-to-job-losses-from-robots-ai.html accessed: 2017-03-01.
28. Kramera A. D. Guilloryb J. E. & Hancockb J. T. Experimental evidence of massive-scale emotional contagion through social networks PNAS vol. 111 no. 24 2014 pp. 8788–8790.
29. Leibo J. Z. Zambaldi V. Lanctot M. Marecki J. & Graepel T. Multi-agent Reinforcement Learning in Sequential Social Dilemmas ArXiv Prepr. ArXiv170203037 2017. Available at: https://arxiv.org/abs/1702.03037/ accessed: 2017-03-01.
30. Lepri B. Staiano J. Sangokoya D. Letouzé E. & Oliver N. The Tyranny of Data? The Bright and Dark Sides of Data-Driven Decision-Making for Social Good ArXiv Prepr. ArXiv161200323 2016. Available at: https://arxiv.org/abs/1612.00323 accessed: 2017-03-01.
31. Lima J. Top 10 biggest data centers from around the world Computer Business Review 2015. Available at: http://www.cbronline.com/news/data-centre/top-10-biggest-data-centres-from-around-the-world-4545356/ accessed: 2016-02-28.
32. Lin P. Bekey G. & Abney K. Autonomous military robotics: Risk ethics and design. California Polytechnic State University 2008.
33. MacDougall W. Marketing & Communications & Germany Trade & Invest. Industrie 4.0 Germany Trade and Invest 2014.
34. Mueck T. Privacy Issues in the Austrian EHR Project “ELGA” Available at: https://www.nii.ac.jp/issi/pdf/1/2Thomas_Mueck.pdf accessed: 2017-03-01.
35. P7000 – Model Process for Addressing Ethical Concerns During System Design IEEE 2016. Available at: https://standards.ieee.org/develop/project/7000.html accessed: 2017-03-01.
36. P7001 – Transparency of Autonomous Systems IEEE 2016. Available at: https://standards.ieee.org/develop/project/7001.html accessed: 2017-03-01.
37. P7002 – Data Privacy Process IEEE 2016. Available at: https://standards.ieee.org/develop/project/7002.html accessed: 2017-03-01.
38. Pagels M. The Black Box of Deep Learning SC5 2016. Available at: https://sc5.io/posts/black-box-deep-learning/ accessed: 2017-03-01.
39. Philippi T. The Electronic Health Record (ELGA) in Austria ELGA GmBH 2015.
40. Preparing for the future of artificial intelligence. Executive Office of the President National Science and Technology Council Committee on Technology 2016.
41. Reuters. Germany investigating unprecedented spread of fake news online The Guardian 2017. Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/09/germany-investigating-spread-fake-news-online-russia-election/ accessed: 2016-02-28.
42. Reynolds M. AI learns to write its own code by stealing from other programs New Scientist 2017. Available at: https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23331144-500-ai-learns-to-write-its-own-code-by-stealing-from-other-programs/ accessed: 2017-03-01.
43. Robots – Legal Affairs Committee calls for EU-wide European Parliament News 2017. Available at: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/news-room/20170110IPR57613/robots-legal-affairs-committee-calls-for-eu-wide-rules/ accessed: 2017-03-01.
44. Solon O. World’s largest hedge fund to replace managers with artificial intelligence The Guardian 2016. Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/dec/22/bridgewater-associates-ai-artificial-intelligence-management/ accessed: 2017-03-01.
45. Son H. JPMorgan Software Does in Seconds What Took Lawyers 360000 Hours Bloomberg.com 2017. Available at: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-28/jpmorgan-marshals-an-army-of-developers-to-automate-high-finance/ accessed: 2017-03-01.
46. Sparrow R. Building a Better WarBot: Ethical Issues in the Design of Unmanned Systems for Military Applications Science and Engineering Ethics vol. 15 no. 2 2009 pp. 169–187.
47. Special Report: The World’s Largest Data Centers. Data Center Knowledge n.d.. Available at: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/special-report-the-worlds-largest-data-centers/ accessed: 2016-02-28.
48. Sverdlik Y. Top Cloud Providers Made $11B on IaaS in 2015 but It’s Only the Beginning. Data Center Knowledge 2016 Available at: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2016/06/07/top-cloud-providers-made-11b-on-iaas-in-2015-but-its-only-the-beginning/ accessed: 2016-02-28.
49. Thurner S. Understanding co-morbidity through medical data on national scales International Conference on Synthetic Populations Luca 2017.
50. Toor A. Germany grapples with fake news ahead of elections The Verge 2017. Available at: http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/19/14314680/germany-fake-news-facebook-russia-election-merkel/ accessed: 2017-03-01.
51. Top 20 Facebook Statistics – Updated January 2017 Zephoria Digital Marketing 2017. Available at: https://zephoria.com/top-15-valuable-facebook-statistics/ accessed: 2016-02-28.
52. Tunkelang D. Privatizing Our Past Hacker Noon 2016. Available at: https://hackernoon.com/privatizing-our-past-148d7f5c2084 accessed: 2016-02-28.
53. Universal Declaration of Human Rights. United Nations General Assembly 1948.