Kolkata, one of the fastest growing metropolises in India has been suffering from air pollution for many decades. The rapid urbanization coupled with ineffective government control has been fuelling this problem. The study aims to portray the current air pollution situation in this megacity as it analyses the present level of different air pollutants like Suspended Particulate Matter (SPM), NO2 and SO2. The result of the analysis shows the critical level of air pollutants specially the SPM and NO2 in different parts of city. By zoning the city into residential, commercial and industrial areas, the result shows the difference between the levels of pollution in each area. The second part of the study explored the seasonal variation of air pollution and it has been found all of the pollutants reach its highest concentration during winter. Extending the study, the paper also tries to establish the relationship between the air pollutants and metrological factors by using the Spearman’s Rank Correlation. The results show an inverse relation between the concentration of pollutants and the metrological factors such as precipitation, wind, temperature and relative humidity. Finally, a calculation of the change in pollution level during the two festive seasons is carried out and an increase in SPM concentration has been found during the celebrations of Kali Puja and Diwali.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Agrawal M. Singh B. Rajput M. Marshall F. Bell J.N.B.(2003). Effect of air pollution on peri-urban agriculture: a case study. Environmental Pollution 126: 323-329.
2. Aneja V.P. Roelle P.A. Murray G.C. Southerland J. Erisman J.W. Fowler D. Asman W.A.H. Patni N. (2001). Atmospheric nitrogen compounds II: emissions transport transformation deposition and assessment. Atmospheric Environment 35 1903-1911
3. Anon (1995). Diesel exhausts a critical analysis of emissions Exposureand Health Effects. Health Effect Institute Cambridge MA.
4. Arruda L.K. Mann B.J. Chapman M.D. (1992). Selective expression of a major allergen and cytotoxin aspergillus fumigates. J. Immunol. 149: 3554-3559.
5. BBC 2010. Average Weather condition of Kolkata India. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/city_guides/results.shtml?tt=TT002230
6. Badarinatha K.V.S. Sharma A. R. and Kharola S. K. (2009). Impact of emissions from anthropogenic sources on satellite-derived reflectance. Advances in Space research (43): 1545-1554.
7. Bhattacharjee Y. (2010). Choking on fumes Kolkata faces a noxious future. Science 319.
8. Bosco M.L. Varrica D. Dongarra G. (2005). Case study: inorganic pollutants associated with particulate matter from an area near a petrochemical plant. Environmental Research 99 18-30.
9. Census of India. 2001. India at a Glance. Retrieved from http://www.censusindia.gov.in/Census_Data_2001/India_at_Glance/glance.aspx
10. Chakraborty D. and Bhattacharya P. (2004). Air quality management strategy for Kolkata city under India Canada environment facility project - a case study. West Bengal Pollution Control Board (WBPCB). Retrieved from http://www.cleanairnet.org/baq2004/1527/articles-59332_bhattacharya.pdf
11. Chakraborty D. and Bhattacharya P. (2004). Air quality management strategy for Kolkata city under India Canada environment facility project - a case study. West Bengal Pollution Control Board (WBPCB). URL: http://www.cleanairnet.org/baq2004/1527/articles-59332_bhattacharya.pdf [consulted 18 February 2010].
12. Chinkin L.R. Coe D.L. Funk T.H. Hafner H.R. Roberts P.T. Ryan A.R. Lawson D.R. (2003). Weekday versus weekend activity patterns for ozone precursor emissions in California's South Coast Air Basin. Journalof the Air and Waste Management Association 53: 829-843.
13. Dockery D.W. Pope C.A. (1994). Acute respiratory effects of particulate air pollution. Annual Review of Public Health 15: 107-132.
14. Elminir H.K. (2005). Dependence of urban air pollutants on meteorology. Science of the Total Environment 350: 225-237.
15. Fernandes L.. (1995). Anacardium occidentals pollen allergy in patients with allergic bronchial asthma. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 95: 501-504.
16. Gairola A. and Sharma K.R. (2005). A regulatory framework for control of air pollution in India - a country report. Retrieved from http://www.wind.arch.t-kougei.ac.jp/APECWW/Report/2009/INDIAb.pdf.
17. Ghose M.K. (2009). Air pollution in the city of Kolkata: health effects due to chronic exposure. Environmental Quality Management. (winter) 59 -70.
18. Ghose M. K. Paul R. Banerjee S.K. (2004). Assessment of the impacts of vehicular emissions on urban air quality and its management in Indian context: the case of Kolkata (Calcutta). Environmental Science & Policy 7: 345-351
19. Giuseppe M.C. Francesco F. et al. (1993). Effect of environment on atopic status and respiratory disorders in children. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 92: 616-645.
20. Guha H. Biswas P.P. (2008). Monsoon risks for construction sites in India. Proceedings of the IEEE IEEM.
21. Gupta. A.K. Nag S. and Mukhopadhyay U.K. (2006). Characterisation of PM10 and benzene soluble organic fraction of particulate matter in urban area of Kolkata India. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. 115: 205-222.
22. Gupta. A.K. Karar K. Ayoob S. and Kuruvilla J. (2008). Spationtemporal characteristics of gaseous and particulate pollutants in an urban region of Kolkata India. Atmospheric Research. 103 - 115.
23. India Stat. 2010. Air Pollution Statistics of India 2004-05. Retrieved from http://www.indiastat.com/environmentandpollution/11/airpollution/45/stats.aspx Jo W.K. Park J.H. (2005). Characteristics of roadside air pollution in Korean metropolitan city (Daegu) over last 5 to 6 years: temporal variations standard exceedances and dependence on meteorological conditions. Chemosphere 59: 1557-1573.
24. KararK. Gupta A.K. Kumar A. and Biswas A.K. (2006). Characterization and identification of the sources of chromium zinc lead cadmium nickel manganese and iron in pm10 particulates at the two sites of kolkata India. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 120: 347-360
25. Karen E. and Michak F.W. (1991). Smoking cessation and acute airway response to ozone. Arch. Environ. Health 46: 288-295.
26. Kazimuddin A. Banerjee L. (2000). Fighting For Air. Down to Earth July 31.
27. Koken P.J. PiverW.T. Ye F. Elixhauser A. Olsen L.M. Portier C.J. (2003). Temperature air pollution and hospitalization for cardiovascular diseases among elderly people in Denver. Environ Health Perspect 111: 1312-1317.