The tradition of international criminal tribunals which started with the Nuremberg and Tokyo tribunals was returned with the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia. As a result of the bloody wars in the territory of the former Yugoslavia in the 1990s, the Security Council of the United Nations decided to establish the ICTY as an ad hoc tribunal, that was approved by the resolutions 808 and 827. The main purpose of the paper is to highlight the features of the ICTY during its mandate from 1993 to 2017. For the realization of this research are used qualitative methods, based on the bibliography that is related with international criminal law, with special emphasis with the activities of international criminal tribunals. Furthermore, some data are also collected from the credible internet sources, which have valuable information about the procedures of the ICTY and for the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals. The results of the study demonstrate that during its mandate, the ICTY was accompanied with a lot of successes which distinguish it from the other international criminal tribunals. At the same time, the ICTY has also a lot of failures, which have come as a result of various political influences within it. The conclusions of this paper aim to increase knowledge about the activity of the ICTY, by offering important information for its establishment and organs, and for its main successes and failures.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
- Ambos K. (2013). Treatise on International Criminal Law Volume I: Foundations and General Part. UK: Oxford University Press.
- Bantekas I. & Nash S. (2009). International Criminal Law. 3d ed. London: Routledge.
- Cryer R. Friman H. Robinson D. & Wilmshurst E. (2010). An Introduction to International Criminal Law and Procedure. 2nd ed. UK: Cambridge University Press.
- David E. (2012). Droit International Pénal. La Haye: Division de la codification du Bureau des affaires juridiques des Nations Unies.
- Gallant K. (2009). The Principle of Legality in International and Comparative Criminal Law. UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Gruda Z. (2007). Mbrojtja Ndërkombëtare e të Drejtave të Njeriut. Prishtinë: Universiteti Fama.
- Gruda Z. (2013). E Drejta Ndërkombëtare Publike. Prishtinë: CIP.
- Hoti A. & Kosír I. ed. (2015). European perspectives of the Western Balkans Countries I. Prishtina: AAB College.
- Hoti A. & Musliu A. (2015). Parimi i Vetëvendosjes dhe Evoluimi i tij në të Drejtën Ndërkombëtare. Prishtinë: Kolegji Iliria.
- Mingst A. K. (2008). Bazat e Marrëdhënieve Ndërkombëtare. Tiranë: Albanian Institute for International Studies.
- Radan P. (2002). The Break-up of Yugoslavia and International Law. London: Routledge.
- Schabas A. W. & Bernaz N. ed. (2011). Routledge Handbook of International Criminal Law. London: Routledge.
- Shaw N. M. (2008). International Law. New York: Cambridge University Press.
1. About the ICTY - Chambres. Retrieved January 29 2019 from http://www.icty.org/en/about/chambers.
2. About the ICTY - Mandate and Crimes under ICTY Jurisdiction. Retrieved January 29 2019 from http://www.icty.org/en/about/tribunal/mandate-and-crimes-under-icty-jurisdiction.
3. About the ICTY - Office of the Prosecutor. Retrieved January 29 2019 from http://www.icty.org/en/about/office-of-the-prosecutor.
4. About the ICTY - Registry. Retrieved January 29 2019 from http://www.icty.org/en/about/registry.
5. About the ICTY - The Conflicts. Retrieved January 31 2019 http://www.icty.org/en/about/what-former-yugoslavia/conflicts.
6. About the ICTY - The Cost of Justice. Retrieved January 29 2019 from http://www.icty.org/en/about/tribunal/the-cost-of-justice.
7. Case Information Sheet - Šainović et al. Retrieved January 31 2019 from http://www.icty.org/x/cases/milutinovic/cis/en/cis_sainovic_al_en.pdf.
8. Cases - Karadžić Radovan. Retrieved March 21 2019 from http://www.irmct.org/en/cases/mict-13-55.
9. Cases - Key Figures of the Cases. Retrieved March 9 2019 from http://www.icty.org/en/cases/key-figures-cases.
10. Cases - Radovan Karadžić Case - Key information & Timeline. (2016 July 12). Retrieved March 3 2019 from http://www.icty.org/en/cases/radovan-karadzic-trial-key-information.
11. Cases - Stanišić and Simatović. Retrieved March 3 2019 from http://www.irmct.org/en/cases/mict-15-96.
12. Crimes Against Humanity. Retrieved January 31 2019 from https://www.un.org/en/genocideprevention/crimes-against-humanity.shtml.
13. Crimes of Sexual Violence. Retrieved January 31 2019 from http://www.icty.org/en/features/crimes-sexual-violence.
14. Crimes of Sexual Violence - In Numbers. Retrieved January 31 2019 from http://www.icty.org/en/features/crimes-sexual-violence/in-numbers.
15. Genocide - Background. Retrieved January 31 2019 from https://www.un.org/en/genocideprevention/genocide.shtml.
16. International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals - About. Retrieved February 4 2019 from http://www.irmct.org/en/about.
17. Press - Jovica Stanisic and Franko Simatovic Indicted by the ICTY for Crimes Against Humanity and War Crimes. (2003 May 6). Retrieved February 2 2019 from http://www.icty.org/en/press/jovica-stanisic-and-frankosimatovic-indicted-icty-crimes-against-humanity-and-war-crimes.
18. Press - Milan Lukić and Sredoje Lukić Convicted of War Crimes in Višegrad. (2009 July 20). Retrieved January 31 2019 from http://www.icty.org/en/press/milan-lukić-and-sredoje-lukić-convicted-war-crimes-višegrad.
19. Press - President Milošević and Four other Senior Fry Officials Indicted for Murder Persecution and Deportation in Kosovo. (1999 May 27). Retrieved January 31 2019 from http://www.icty.org/sid/7765.
20. Press - Stanislav Galić sentenced to life imprisonment by Appeals Chamber for crimes committed during the siege of Sarajevo. (2006 November 31). Retrieved January 31 2019 from http://www.icty.org/en/press/stanislav-galić-sentenced-life-imprisonment-appeals-chamber-crimes-committed-during-siege.
21. Press - The Trial of Kunarac Kovač and Vuković will begin on Monday 20 March 2000. (2000 March 17). Retrieved February 2 2019 from http://www.icty.org/en/press/trial-kunarac-kovacand-vukovic-will-begin-monday-20-march-2000.
22. Press - Tribunal convicts Radovan Karadžić for crimes in Bosnia and Herzegovina. (2016 March 24). Retrieved February 2 2019 from http://www.icty.org/en/press/tribunal-convicts-radovankaradzic-for-crimes-in-bosnia-and-herzegovina.
23. Timeline - Final fugitive arrested. (2011 July 20). Retrieved February 2 2019 from http://www.icty.org/en/features/timeline.
24. Timeline - First indictment issued. (1994 November 7). Retrieved February 2 2019 from http://www.icty.org/en/features/timeline.
25. Timeline - Ratko Mladić arrested. (2011 May 26). Retrieved February 2 2019 from http://www.icty.org/en/features/timeline.
26. Timeline - Ratko Mladić sentenced to life imprisonment. (2017 November 22). Retrieved February 2 2019 from http://www.icty.org/en/features/timeline.
27. Transitional Justice in the Former Yugoslavia - Criminal prosecutions. Retrieved February 1 2019 from https://www.ictj.org/sites/default/files/ICTJ-FormerYugoslavia-Justice-Facts-2009-English.pdf.
War Crimes - Elements of the Crime. Retrieved January 31 2019 from https://www.un.org/en/genocideprevention/war-crimes.shtml