The research focus is set in the investigation of positive and negative aspects of use of social networks using a ‘bifocal approach’ to social networks analysis. Our bifocal approach uses qualitative approach reviewing published literature primarely blogs, forums, web sites, etc and interchangeably compares and conveys the results with focus groups. The objective of the research study is to show that social networks can runs both ways, it can be helpful while at the same time can be very dangerous and impact in asocialization and other harmfull ways. Social networks have become an inseparable part of not only students but also the lives of people in general. Students spend a lot of time utilizing social networks and are considered to be the largest social network users. Students communicating with social networks, especially virtual communities, enabled real-time access, communication synchronization, posting and sharing photos, videos, original and creative work are the main activities and interests of students. As a result of the fast acquisition of social networks, people today live in the world of technology and can quickly gain competences in their daily lives, these changes in technology also affect the lives of students. The Internet has also changed day-to-day and student activities both in University life and in social life. The research study tries to investigate and present a realistic picture of the current situation on the impact of social networks on students. The research methodology is qualitative and reviewed is the published research in the field as well as blogs, forums and other web sites where real life experiences and opinions are expressed from real users. Also 2 student focus groups have been used, novice and expert group. The research study tries to contribute with the recommendations how students can use these networking technologies positively in their daily lives and where educational opportunities are still unknown, we can help schools to be more important, connected, and fully understandable to students, and at the same time to alert to the dangers of social networks. Therefore, the main purpose of this research study is to investigate the effects of using social networks and their social or antisocial impact to society. Based on the study, the conclusion is that in order to protect the student we should increase the awareness for the risk that are coming from inappropriate use of social networks. Insights and recommendations are provided.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
- Ahbishek Karadkar “Impact of Social Networking in Student Life” Shared by: September 13 2015 accessed: September 202018. online: http://www.technicianonline.com/opinion/article_d1142b70-5a92-11e5-86b4-cb7c98a6e45f.html
- Bilal Ahmad (2016) “10 Benefits and Duties of Social Networks in Society” Published March 10 2016 By: https://www.techmaish.com/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-social-media-for-society (Accessed on 26/09/2018)
- Bonnie Szumski and Jill Karson (2013) Are Social Profitable Networks in Our Society Journal PointPres v6 i2 pp. 50-51 New York USA
- Bruce Hopkins (2017) “Benefits of Using Social Networks” Published November 232017 By: https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2011/08/social-kids.aspx (Accessed on 24/09/2018)
- Yang Heng-Li. (2019). Effects of social network on students’ performance: a web-based forum study in Taiwan. JALN Volume. 7. 10.24059/olj.v7i3.1848.
- D.Boyd & N.Ellison Social Network Sites: Definition History and Scholarship cited books.
- Darko S. (2018) “Profit and Damage to Social Networks” Published February 102018 By: https://nobelcoaching.com/social-media-benefits-risks (Accessed: 25 / 09/2018)
- Procon Social Networking (2018) “ Are Social Networking Sites Good for Our Society?” Accessed December 2018 from https://socialnetworking.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=001614#answer-id-013842
- Don Tapscott Wikinomics: How Mass Collaboration Changes Everything. New York: Portfolio Trade 2010.
- Elise Moreao “The Benefits and Damages of Social Networks Published: August 282018 From: https://www.lifewire.com/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-social-networking-3486020 Accessed: 28/09/2018
- Hilary Walters West (2018) “Why Social Networks Benefits Outweigh The Damage? “ Published: December 142015 https://socialnetworking.procon.org/view.source.php?sourceID=013907
- Larry Rosen (2011) “The Benefits and Damages of Social Networks to Adolescents” Accessed: August 6 2011 https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2011/08/social-kids.aspx.
- M. Zwart D. Lindsay M. Henderson & M. Philips (2017) Teenagers Legal Risks and Social Networking Sites Journal of Social Sciences v9 i3 Australia.
- McGrawEducation “ How can I contribute to the social networks in educating students widow” Published on 9 May 2015 https://www.mheducation.com/blog/thought-leadership/how-social-media-can-help-students-study.html (Accessed on 20/09/2018).
- Mushtaq Jahed & Benraghda Abdelmadjid. (2018). The Effects of Social Media on the Undergraduate Students’ Academic Performances. Library Philosophy and Practice. 2018.
Mim Faijun & Islam Md. Ashraful & Kumar Gowranga. (2018). Impact of the use of social media on students’ academic performance and behavior change. International Journal of Applied Mathematics. Volume 3 issue 2. pp.299-302.