The date 23 June 2016 brought in front of the United Kingdom and the European Union a very serious challenge named Brexit. In the June 23, 2016 referendum, the British voted to leave one of the most unique international organizations in the world, thus putting the EU in front of the UK’s request for the activation of Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, which the EU is facing for the first time. Brexit is opening new chapters in the history of the UK, while the EU is engaging with the procedures of the voluntary withdrawal of an important member state, which is known about its high political and military role in the world. Some experts of international relations and European studies say that Brexit will have much more consequences for the UK, some for the EU, but truth is that Brexit will be accompanied with many consequences for both of its protagonists. Its risks are very serious so they may result with the dissolution of the UK. Meanwhile, the increase of euroscepticism within the EU’s member states, with particular emphasis the presence of Eurosceptic voices in its most important members is at a very worrying level. Based on these facts, the knowledge about the real meaning of Brexit is necessary. Therefore, the main focus of this research lies in the classification of the main political consequences of Brexit for the UK and the EU.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Amerasinghe F. C. (2005). Principles of the Institutional Law of International Organizations. UK: Cambridge University Press.
2. Baldwin E. R. ed. (2016). Brexit Beckons: Thinking ahead by leading economists. UK: Centre for Economic Policy Research.
3. Beddoes M. Z. (June 2016). The Brexit Briefs: Our guide to Britain’s EU referendum. The Economist.
4. Börner S. & Eigmüller M. ed. (2015). European Integration Processes of Change and the National Experience. UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
5. Bruun N. Lörcher K. & Schömann I. ed. (2012). The Lisbon Treaty and Social Europe. UK: Hart Publishing.
6. Buckle R. Hewish T. Hulsman C. J. Mansfield I. & Oulds R. (2015). Brexit: Directions for Britain outside the EU. UK: The Institute of Economic Affairs.
7. Cabral C. N. Gonçalves R. J. & Rodrigues C. N. ed. (2017). After Brexit: Consequences for the European Union. UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
8. Campos F. N. & Coricelli F. ed. (2017). The Economics of UK-EU Relations: From the Treaty of Rome to the Vote for Brexit. UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
9. Coman R. Kostera T. & Tomini L. ed. (2014). Europeanization and European Integration From Incremental to Structural Change. UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
10. Dörr O. & Schmalenbach K. ed. (2018). Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties: A Commentary. Berlin: Springer.
11. Gruda Z. (2013). E Drejta Ndërkombëtare Publike. Prishtinë: CIP.
12. Harmsen R. & Spiering M. ed. (2004). Euroscepticism: Party Politics National Identity and European Integration. Amsterdam: Rodopi.
13. Hoti A. & Kosír I. ed. (2015). European perspectives of the Western Balkans countries I. Prishtina: AAB College.
14. McGlinchey S. ed. (2017). International Relations. England: E-International Relations Publishing.
15. Merritt G. (2016). Slippery Slope: Brexit and Europe’s Troubled Future. UK: Oxford University Press.
16. Piris C. J. (2010). The Lisbon Treaty: A Legal and Political Analysis. UK: Cambridge University Press.
17. Reka B. (2010). Gjeopolitika dhe teknika e zgjerimit të UE-së. Bruksel: Aspect.
18. Reka B. & Sela Y. (2011). Hyrje në të Drejtën e Unionit Evropian. Tetovë: Universiteti i Evropës Juglindore.
19. Rexhepi Z. (2011). Evropa e Bashkuar nga ideja deri te realizimi. Tetovë: ARS-ZZ.
20. Salmon C. T. ed. (2000). Issues in International Relations. UK: Routledge.
21. Seidler J. V. (2018). Making sense of Brexit. UK: Policy Press.
22. Sela Y. ed. (2015). Euro Regions - Integrating Societies - Generation Growth - Caring Resources. Shkup: Instituti për Studime Politike dhe Ndërkombëtare.
23. Taylor N. P. (2016). Brexit: European Union American Empire. UK: Two Raven Books.
24. Troitiño R. D. Kerikmäe T. & Chochia A. ed. (2018). Brexit: History Reasoning and Perspectives. Switzerland: Springer.
25. Vogt R. (2017). Personal Diplomacy in the EU: Political leadership and critical junctures of European integration. UK: Routledge.
26. Welfens J. J. P. (2017). An Accidental Brexit New EU and Transatlantic Economic Perspectives. UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
27. Zwolski K. (2018). European Security in Integration Theory: Contested Boundaries. UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
THE INTERNET SOURCES
1. About the Western Balkans Summit. Retrieved on May 26 2018 from https://www.gov.uk/government/topical-events/western-balkans-summit-london-2018/about.
2. Balkans - Sommet ‘Paris Balkans 2016’. (2016 Juillet 4). Retrouver le Février 13 2017 de http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/dossiers-pays/europe/balkansoccidentaux/evenements/article/balkans-sommet-paris-balkans-2016-paris-04-07-16.
3. Bennett A. (2016 April 25). Theresa May wants you to stay in the EU. Has she blown her chances of ever being Tory leader?. Retrieved on October 24 2016 from https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/25/theresa-may-wants-you-to-stay-in-the-euhas-she-blown-her-chance/.
4. Brexit: David Cameron’s resignation statement in full. (2016 June 24). Retrieved on October 24 2016 from http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36619446.
5. Brexit - European Council (Article 50). (2017 December 15). Retrieved on December 16 2017 from http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/policies/eu-uk-after-referendum/.
6. Brexit: Sixth round of negotiations between the EU and the UK. (2017 November 10). Retrieved on December 2 2017 from http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/policies/eu-ukafter- referendum/.
7. Brexit: The UK’s letter triggering Article 50. Retrieved on March 30 2017 from http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39431070.
8. Clarke S. (2017 September 25). German elections 2017: full results. Retrieved on September 27 2017 from https://www.theguardian.com/world/nginteractive/2017/sep/24/german-elections-2017-latest-results-live-merkel-bundestag-afd.
9. Cramb A. (2018 November 18). Nicola Sturgeon: decision on a second Scottish independence referendum in the ‘not too distant future’. Retrieved on November 19 2018 from https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/18/nicola-sturgeon-decision-secondscottish-independence-referendum/.
10. Dutch election: European relief as mainstream triumphs. (2017 March 16). Retrieved on March 18 2017 from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39297355.
11. Election 2017 - Results. Retrieved on February 12 2018 from https://www.bbc.com/news/election/2017/results.
12. EU referendum results. Retrieved on October 22 2016 from http://www.bbc.com/news/politics/eu_referendum/results.
13. EU referendum results - Northern Ireland. Retrieved on October 23 2016 from https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/find-information-by-subject/elections-andreferendums/past-elections-and-referendums/eu-referendum/electorate-and-countinformation.
14. EU referendum results - Scotland. Retrieved on October 23 2016 from https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/find-information-by-subject/elections-andreferendums/past-elections-and-referendums/eu-referendum/electorate-and-countinformation.
15. EU referendum results - Wales. Retrieved on October 23 2016 from https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/find-information-by-subject/elections-andreferendums/past-elections-and-referendums/eu-referendum/electorate-and-countinformation.
16. General Affairs Council (Art. 50) 22/05/2017. (2017 May 22). Retrieved on May 24 2017 from http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/meetings/gac-art50/2017/05/22/.
17. General election 2017: Why did Theresa May call an election?. (2017 June 9). Retrieved on February 12 2018 from http://www.bbc.com/news/election-2017-40210957.
18. Goldman R. (2017 February 18). Geert Wilders a Dutch Nationalist Politician Calls Moroccan Immigrants ‘Scum’. Retrieved on March 2 2017 from https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/18/world/europe/geert-wilders-netherlands-freedomparty-moroccan-immigrants.html.
19. Hunt A. (2017 June 26). Theresa May and the DUP deal: What you need to know - So are the Conservatives and the DUP in coalition?. Retrieved on June 30 2017 from http://www.bbc.com/news/election-2017-40245514.
20. Hunt A. (2017 June 26). Theresa May and the DUP deal: What you need to know - So how come Theresa May is still prime minister?. Retrieved on June 30 2017 from http://www.bbc.com/news/election-2017-40245514.
21. Petroff A. (2014 September 9). 5 reasons to worry about Scottish vote - EU: In or out?. Retrieved on October 27 2016 from http://money.cnn.com/2014/09/09/news/scotlandindependence-referendum/index.html.
22. Proctor C. (2016 June 13). Queen Elizabeth II appoints Theresa May as her 13th Prime Minister. Retrieved on October 24 2016 from http://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/thequeen/queen-elizabeth-ii-appoints-theresa-may-as-her-13th-prime-minister-62342.
23. Rankin J. (2017 April 28). Europe could allow a united Ireland to join EU after Brexit. Retrieved on May 3 2017 from https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/apr/27/euto-debate-recognising-united-ireland-to-allow-swift-return-for-north.
24. Report on the 23 June 2016 referendum on the UK’s membership of the European Union - Registration and turnout and the result of the referendum. Retrieved on October 23 2016 from https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/215279/2016-EUreferendum-report.pdf.
25. Report on the 8 June 2017 UK Parliamentary general election - Summary: administration of the June 2017 UK general election. Retrieved on February 12 2018 from https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/238044/Theadministration-of-the-June-2017-UK-general-election.pdf.
26. Résultats définitifs du premier tour de l’élection présidentielle 2017 établis par le Conseil constitutionnel. (2017 Avril 26). Retrouver le Avril 27 2017 de https://www.gouvernement.fr/resultats-definitifs-du-premier-tour-de-l-electionpresidentielle-2017-etablis-par-le-conseil.
27. Second tour de l’élection présidentielle 2017. (2017 Mai 7). Retrouver le Mai 7 2017 de https://www.gouvernement.fr/second-tour-de-l-election-presidentielle-2017.
28. Scotland votes No. Retrieved on October 23 2016 from http://www.bbc.com/news/events/scotland-decides/results.
29. Smith L. (2017 December 8). Hard Brexit poll suggests Northern Ireland would rather join Republic and stay in EU than remain in UK and leave. Retrieved on January 4 2018 https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/northern-ireland-support-join-irishrepublic- eu-hard-brexit-poll-lucidtalk-a8098531.html.
30. Stokes B. (2016 June 6). Euroskepticism Beyond Brexit - A double dip in EU favorability. Retrieved on March 28 2017 from http://www.pewglobal.org/2016/06/07/euroskepticism-beyond-brexit/.
31. Stone J. (2016 October 13). Scottish government to publish plans for second independence referendum. Retrieved on November 12 2016 from https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/scotland-to-publish-plans-for-secondindependence-referendum-a7359071.html.
32. The Lisbon Treaty - Article 50. Retrieved on October 27 2016 from http://www.lisbontreaty.org/wcm/the-lisbon-treaty/treaty-on-European-union-and-comments/title-6-finalprovisions/137-article-50.html.
33. The Queen received in audience The Right Honouralble Theresa May. (2016 July 13). Retrieved on October 24 2016 from https://www.royal.uk/queen-received-audienceright-honourable-theresa-may.
34. Watts J. (2018 June 3). DUP leader threatens to withdraw support for Theresa May on Brexit customs plans. Retrieved on June 4 2018 from https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-dup-arlene-foster-customstheresa-may-a8381276.html.
35. What is Brexit?. (2016 June 20). Retrieved on October 30 2016 from https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/21/world/europe/brexit-britain-euexplained.html?_r=0.