Inter-ethnic relations between Albanians and Macedonians in Macedonia have been rather problematic since the times of former Yugoslavia. After independence, the new constitution of the Republic of Macedonia instead of improving it has further downgraded the position of Albanians and other minorities living in the country. The non-fulfilment of Albanians’ core demands led to an armed conflict in 2001. The Ohrid Agreement has in addition to ending the armed conflict, also provided for a range of legislative and policy measures to improve the position of the Albanians by ensuring equality and minority protection. However, 16 years after the Ohrid Agreement, inter-ethnic relations in Macedonia still remain burdened by prejudice and stereotypes, rather than cooperation and mutual prosperity. The main aim of the paper is to analyse the state of inter-ethnic relations in Macedonia, with special focus on relations between ethnic Macedonians and ethnic Albanians. The paper also offers an analysis of main factors that contribute to inter-ethnic tensions in the country and explores possible scenarios in the future. The most relevant part of the paper analyses the causality between inter-ethnic and interstate relations. The paper claims that similarly to most of the countries in the Western Balkans, inter-ethnic and interstate relations are basically the components of the same equation. The paper concludes that in Macedonia, Kosovo rather than Albania is much more relevant for the causality between inter-ethnic and interstate relations in Macedonia, and it also offers several reasons to support such thesis. Accordingly, the overall inter-ethnic relations between Macedonians and Albanians in Macedonia heavily depend on inter-state relations between Macedonia and Kosovo and vice versa.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
- Adamson K. & Jovic D. (2004). The Macedonian-Albanian political frontier: the re-articulation of post-Yugoslav political identities. Nations and Nationalism 10(3) 293-311.
- Alagjozovski R. & Stavrova B. (2003 December 8). Macedonia’s Census Opens New Doors. Transitions Online.
- Aziri E. (2011 October). Inter-ethnic Relations in the Republic of Macedonia before and after the Ohrid Framework Agreement. Balkans: Foreign Affairs Politics and Socio-Cultures Epoka University 131-156.
- Balalovska K. (2006). Macedonia 2006: Towards Stability?. The Ethnobarometer Working Paper Series.
- Batt J. (2008 January). Introduction. In Judy Batt eds. Is there an Albanian question?. Chaillot Paper No. 107 Institute for Security Studies Paris.
- Buhaug H. Ringdal K. Simkus A. & Listhaug O. (2008 August 28-31). Ethnic Polarization and Post-Conflict Animosity: The Case of Macedonia. Centre for the Study of Civil War International Peace Research Institute Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association Boston.
- Daskalovski Zh. (2014). Census taking and inter-ethnic relations in Macedonia. Southeast European and Black Sea Studies 13(3) 365-379.
- Daskalovski Zh. (2003). The Right to Rebel: The National Liberation Army and the Macedonian Crisis of 2001. Romanian Journal of Political Science 3(2) 51-69.
- Daskalovski Zh. & Taleski D. (2008). The independence of Kosovo and the consolidation of Macedonia-A reason to worry? In Cutting or tightening the Gordian Knot? ed. E.M. Felberbauer P. Jureković and F. Labarre. Vienna: National Defence Academy and Bureau for Security Policy at the Austrian Ministry of Defence 29-57.
- Davies J. (2014 July 15). Is Macedonia on the brink of another ethnic conflict?. Vice. Retrieved from http://www.vice.com/read/albanians-inmacedonia- are-pissed-off-jack-davies-777 (27.10.2016).
- Demjaha A. & Peci L. (2015). Insurgencies in the Balkans: Albanian Liberation Armies. In Albrecht Schnabel and Rohan Gunaratna eds. Wars From Within: Understanding and Managing Insurgent Movements. London: Imperial College Press.
- Demjaha A. (2012). The role of Euro-Atlantic integration processes on the relations between Macedonia and Kosovo during the 2001 conflict. Evrodijalog 17 169-186.
- Fraenkel E. (2004) Macedonia. In Nations in transit 2003. New York: Freedom House.
- Gjorgjevski B. (2006 March 18). Albancite se pomalku od 15 otsto od naselenieto vo Makedonija [The Albanians are less than 15% of the Macedonian population]. Dnevnik.
- Glenny M. (1996). The Fall of Yugoslavia. London: Penguin Books.
- Hyseni Kelmendi V. (2015 May 15). The Pristina reactions after Kumanovo. Osservatorio Balcani e Caucaso. Retrieved from https://www.balcanicaucaso.org/eng/Areas/Kosovo/The-Pristinareactions-after-Kumanovo-161555
- International Crisis Group (1997 October 21). Macedonia Report: The Politics of Ethnicity and Conflict. ICG Europe Report No. 26 Skopje/Brussels.
- International Crisis Group (2001 April 05). The Macedonian Question: Reform or Rebellion. ICG Balkans Report No. 109 Skopje/Brussels.
- International Crisis Group (2001 June 20). Macedonia: The Last Chance for Peace. ICG Balkans Report No. 113 Skopje/Brussels.
- Karajkov R. (2011 October 20). Census fails in Macedonia. Osservatorio Balcani e Caucaso - Transeuropa. Retrieved from http://www.balcanicaucaso.org/eng/Areas/Macedonia/Census-fails-in-Macedonia105372
- Macedonia charges 30 with terrorism after Kumanovo clashes (2015 May 11). BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/worldeurope-32695909
- Macedonia blames Kosovans for deadly clash (2015 May 10). Al Jazeera News. Retrieved from http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/05/macedonia-policemen-killedbattle-armed-group-150509213341943.html
- Mejdini F. (2016 May 10). Macedonia’s Kumanovo Shootout Still Raising Suspicions. Balkan Insight. Retrived from http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/macedonia-s-kumanovoshootout-still-raising-suspicions-05-10-2016
- Norwegian Helsinki Committee for Human Rights (2003). Conflicting Perceptions: A study of prevailing interpretations of the conflict in Macedonia among Albanian and Macedonian communities. Report 1 Oslo.
- Ohrid Framework Agreement (2001 August 13). - OrtakovskiV. (2001). Interethnic Relations and Minorities in the Republic of Macedonia. Southeast European Politics 2(1) 24-45.
- Petroska-Beska V. & Najcevska M. (2004 February). Macedonia: Understanding History Preventing Future Conflict. Special Report 115 Washington DC: United States Institute of Peace.
- Public Opinion Regarding the ‘Name Dispute’ Perceptions about Macedonian-Greek Relations and EU and NATO Integrations (2016). Institute for Political Research Skopje. Retrieved from ipis.org.mk/wp.../IPIS_Istrazuvanje_Prezentacija-21-juni-2016.pptx
- Rama: Projekti ynë aktual është Evropa e Madhe jo Shqipëria e Madhe (2014 October 21). Sot News. Retrieved from http://www.sot.com.al/politike-intervista/rama-projekti-yn%C3%ABaktual-%C3%ABsht%C3%AB-evropa-e-madhe-jo-shqip%C3%ABriae-madhe#sthash.wfFAbb7n.dpuf
- Ragaru N.. (2008 January). Macedonia: Between Ohrid and Brussels. In Judy Batt eds. Is there an Albanian question? Chaillot Paper No. 107 Institute for Security Studies Paris.
- Saliu H. (2015). The propaganda and the image of Kumanova incident. Thesis 2 AAB University 95-104.
- Simoska E. (1997). Macedonia: a View on the Inter-Ethnic Relations. Perceptions: Journal of international affairs 2(2) 93-103.
- Situation in Macedonia calmer but inter-ethnic tensions with Albanians linger (2012 March 14). The Sofia Echo. Retrieved from http://sofiaecho.com/2012/03/14/1787294_situation-in-macedoniacalmer-but-inter-ethnic-tensions-with-albanians-linger
- Slaveski S. & Kozarev A. (2012). Europeanization’ of the Macedonian National Identity. The Western Balkans Policy Review 2(1) 21-38.
- The Census of Population Households and Dwellings in the Republic of Macedonia (2005). Skopje: State Statistical Office.
- Topi thotë se e ardhmja e Shqipërisë është Evropa jo Shqipëria e madhe (2008 July 14). SETimes. Retrieved from http://www.setimes.com/cocoon/setimes/xhtml/sq/features/setimes/newsbriefs/2008/07/14/nb-05
- Vrgova R. (2015). Census Identity and the Politics of Numbers: The Case of Macedonia. Contemporary Southeastern Europe 2(2) 107-125.