Emotional intelligence, a set of skills which are considered as necessary in the context of interaction with other people, was defined by a number of authors, including Goleman (1996), Gardner and Mayer & Salovey. A number of studies investigated the impact of emotional intelligence on learning, teaching and education. The focus of this article is to explore the definition of emotional intelligence and the impact that emotional intelligence and affective factors have in the context of foreign language learning and teaching. The article also focuses on research conducted with a group of 23 students and their self assessment of emotional intelligence as well as their perceptions of the ways emotional intelligence has an impact on foreign language learning. The article attempts to provide recommendations of implementing activities and teaching practices in the context of foreign language learning and teaching aiming to foster emotional intelligence development.
• Goleman D. (1995). Emotional intelligence: Why it can matter more than IQ. New York: Bantam Books.
• Mayer J. D. & Salovey P. (1997). What is emotional intelligence? In P. Salovey & D. Sluyter (Eds). Emotional Development and Emotional Intelligence: Implications for Educators 3-31. New York: Basic Books.
• Mayer J.D. Caruso D. Ciarroci J. FreedmanJ. GardnerK. J. Hetley R. LandyF. Michela J. Salovey P. ( 2012). Emotional Intelligence Information. Site Dedicated to Communicating Scientific Information about Emotional Intelligence Including Relevant Aspects of Emotions Cognition and Personality. Retrieved from http://www.unh.edu/emotional_intelligence/ei%20What%20is%20EI/ei%20fourbranch.htm
• Pishghadam R 2009. A quantitative analysis of the relationship between emotional intelligence and foreign language learning. Electronic Journal of Foreign Language Teaching. 6(1) 31-41. Retrieved from http://e-flt.nus.edu.sg/v6n12009/pishghadam.pdf
• Marquez P. G. Martin R. P. & Bracket M. A. (2006). Relating emotional intelligence to social competence and academic achievement in high school students. Psichothema 8(Supl.) 18-28. Retrieved from http:// www.psicothema.com/pdf/3286.pdf
• Salovey P. MayerJ.D.(1990). Emotional intelligence. Imagination cognition and personality 9185-211.
• Zarafshan M. & Ardeshiri M (2012).Relationship between Emotional Intelligence Language Learning Strategies and English Proficiency among Iranian EFL University Students Journal of Educational and Instructional Studies in The World 2 (3) 5-14. Retrieved from https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/a271/a136d491108e35a1e540b302d7b43e49bf3b.pdf