The purpose of this paper is to offer a methodology for the evaluation of large district heating networks. The methodology includes an analysis of heat generation and distribution based on the models created in the TERMIS and EnergyPro software Data from the large-scale Tallinn district heating system was used for the approbation of the proposed methodology as a basis of the case study. The effective operation of the district heating system, both at the stage of heat generation and heat distribution, can reduce the cost of heat supplied to the consumers. It can become an important factor for increasing the number of district heating consumers and demand for the heat load, which in turn will allow installing new cogeneration plants, using renewable energy sources and heat pump technologies
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament the Council the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions. Energy 2020. A strategy for competitive sustainable and secure energy. Available at >. [Accessed 01.12.2011].
2. Rezaie B Rosen MA. District heating and cooling: Review of technology and potential enhancements. Applied Energy 2012; 93: 2-10.
3. Hlebnikov A. Volkova A. Džuba O. Poobus A. Kask U. Damages of the Tallinn District Heating Networks and indicative parameters for an estimation of the networks general condition In:Proceedings of 12th International Symposium on District Heating and Cooling Estonia Tallinn 5.-7. September 2010. - 277.-282. pp.
4. Vallios I. Tsoutsos T. Papadakis G. Design of biomass district heating systems. Biomass and Bioenergy 2009; 33(4): 659-678.
5. Difs K. Wetterlund E. Trygg L. Söderström M. Biomass gasification opportunities in a district heating system. Biomass and Bioenergy 2010 34(5): 637-651.
6. Holmgren K. Gebremedhin A. Modelling a district heating system: Introduction of waste incineration policy instruments and co-operation with an industry. Energy Policy 2004; 32(16): 1807-1817.
7. Hepbasli A. A review on energetic exergetic and exergoeconomic aspects of geothermal district heating systems (GDHSs) Energy Conversion and Management 2010; 51(10): 2041-2061.
8. Lund H. Möller B. Mathiesen B.V. Dyrelund A. The role of district heating in future renewable energy systems. Energy 2010; 35(3): 1381-1390.
9. Tveit T.-M. Savola T. Gebremedhin A. Fogelholm C.-J. Multiperiod MINLP model for optimising operation and structural changes to CHP plants in district heating networks with long-term thermal storage. Energy Conversion and Management 2009; 50(3): 639-647.
10. Volkova A. Hlebnikov A. Siirde A. Methodology for defining of eligible capacity for wood fuel based cogeneration plants in small towns in Estonia. Journal of Energy and Power Engineering: 2011; 5(6): 481 -489.
11. Barelli L. Bidini G. Pinchi E.M. Implementation of a cogenerative district heating system: Dimensioning of the production plant Energy and Buildings: 2007; 39(6): 658-664.
12. Kelly S. Pollitt M. An assessment of the present and future opportunities for combined heat and power with district heating (CHPDH) in the United Kingdom Energy Policy 2010 38(11):6936-6945
13. TERMIS Operation User Guide 7-Technologies 2011.
14. Tol H.I. Svendsen S. Improving the dimensioning of piping networks and network layouts in low-energy district heating systems connected to low-energy buildings: A case study in Roskilde Denmark Energy 2012: 38(1): 276-290.
15. Li H. Dalla Rosa A. Svendsen S. Design of low temperature district heating network with supply water recirculation In: Proceedings of 12th International Symposium on District Heating and Cooling Estonia Tallinn 5.-7. September 2010: 73-80.
16. Hinojosa L.R. Day A.R. Maidment G.G. Dunham C. A Comparison of combined heat and power feasibility models Applied Thermal Engineering 2007; 27 (13): 2166-2172.
17. User's Guide EnergyPRO EMD 2008.
18. Tallina Küte www.soojus.ee.
19. Report of environmental assessment. Waste use for combined heat and power production on the territory of Iru Plant. (Kütusena jäätmeid kasutava soojus- ja elektrienergia koostootmisploki rajamine Iru elektrijaama territooriumile KMH hindamise aruanne) EestiEnergia 2007.