Background: MiRNA-30c was a tumor suppressor in several human cancers, however, its association with clinicopathological features and prognosis in colorectal cancer (CRC) is unclear.
Materials and Methods: The expression level of miRNA-30c in 192 pairs of colorectal cancer and adjacent normal tissues was detected by Quantitative RT-PCR, the association between miRNA-30c expression and clinical characteristics and prognosis were statistically analyzed.
Results: miRNA-30c was significantly lower in CRC tissues specimens compared with matched normal adjacent tissue (P<0.001). MiRNA-30c was positively correlated with tumor size (P=0.012), TMN stage (P=0.002) and lymph node metastasis (P=0.004). The univariate analysis showed CRC patients with low miRNA-30c had distinctly shorter overall survival (P<0.001) than patients with high miRNA-30c expression level. The multivariate analysis was performed and informed that low miRNA-30c expression (P<0.001) might be an independent prognostic predictor for poor prognosis.
Conclusion: miRNA-30c could predict the prognosis of colorectal cancer which is helpful to choose reasonable treatment measures.
1. Parkin DDM. Global cancer statistics in the year 2000. Lancet Oncol. 2001;2(9):533-43. DOI: 10.1016/S1470-2045(01)00486-7.
2. Ng SC, Wong SH. Colorectal cancer screening in Asia. Br Med Bull. 2013;105(1):29-42. DOI: 10.1093/bmb/lds040.
3. Lagos-Quintana M, Rauhut R, Lendeckel W, Tuschl T. Identification of novel genes coding for small expressed RNAs. Science. 2001;294(5543):853-8. DOI: 10.1126/science.1064921.
4. Liu M, Chen H. The role of microRNAs in colorectal cancerr. J Genet Genomics. 2010;37(6):347-58. DOI: 10.1016/S1673-8527(09)60053-9.
5. Wang H, An H, Wang B, Liao Q, Li W. miR-133a represses tumour growth and metastasis in colorectal cancer by targeting LIM and SH3 protein 1 and inhibiting the MAPK pathway. Eur J Cancer. 2013;49(18):3924-35. DOI: 10.1016/j.ejca.2013.07.149.
6. Wu ZS, Wang CQ, Ru X, Xue L, Shan Y, Yang XQ, et al. Loss of miR-133a expression associated with poor survival of breast cancer and restoration of miR-133a expression inhibited breast cancer cell growth and invasion. Bmc Cancer. 2012;12(1):1-10. DOI: 10.1186/1471-2407-12-51.
7. Wu W, Yang P, Feng X, Wang H, Qiu Y, Tian T, et al. The relationship between and clinical significance of MicroRNA-32 and phosphatase and tensin homologue expression in colorectal cancer. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2013;52(12):1133-40. DOI: 10.1002/gcc.22108.
8. Nagel R, Le SC, Diosdado B, Van dWM, Oude Vrielink JA, Bolijn A, et al. Regulation of the adenomatous polyposis coli gene by the miR-135 family in colorectal cancer. Cancer Res. 2008;68(14):5795-802. DOI: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-08-0951.
9. O’Connor SM, Young GP, Van HP, N G, James RJ, Michael MZ. Reduced accumulation of specific MicroRNAs colorectal neoplasia; colorectal neoplasia. Oncol & Carcinog. 2003.
10. Zhang GJ, Zhou H, Xiao HX, Li Y, Zhou T. MiR-378 is an independent prognostic factor and inhibits cell growth and invasion in colorectal cancer. Bmc Cancer. 2014;14(6):109. DOI: 10.1186/1471-2407-14-109.
11. Li H, Dai S, Zhen T, Shi H, Zhang F, Yang Y, et al. Clinical and biological significance of miR-378a-3p and miR-378a-5p in colorectal cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2014;50(6):1207–21. DOI: 10.1016/j.ejca.2013.12.010.
12. Rodríguez-González FG, Sieuwerts AM, Smid M, Look MP, Gelder MV, Weerd VD, et al. MicroRNA-30c expression level is an independent predictor of clinical benefit of endocrine therapy in advanced estrogen receptor positive breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011;127(1):43-51. DOI: 10.1007/s10549-010-0940-x.
13. Budhu A, Jia H-L, Forgues M, Liu CG, Goldstein D, Lam A, et al. Identification of metastasis-related microRNAs in hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology. 2008;47(3):897–907. DOI: 10.1002/hep.22160.
14. Huang Z, Long Z, Yi X, Yu X. Diagnostic and prognostic values of tissue hsa-miR-30c and hsa-miR-203 in prostate carcinoma. Tumour Biol. 2015:1-7. DOI: 10.1007/s13277-015-4262-9.
15. Edge SB, Byrd DR, Compton CC, Fritz AG, Greene FL, Trotti A, editors. AJCC cancer staging manual (7th ed). New York, NY: Springer; 2010.
16. Huang B, Feng Y, Zhu L, Xu T, Huang L, Cai G. Smaller tumor size is associated with poor survival in stage II colon cancer: An analysis of 7,719 patients in the SEER database. Int J Surg.2016; 33(Pt A):157-63. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijsu.2016.07.073.
17. Amirkhah R, Farazmand A, Irfanmaqsood M, Wolkenhauer O, Wolkenhauer O, Schmitz U. The role of microRNAs in the resistance to colorectal cancer treatments. Cell Mol Biol. 2015;61(6):17-23. DOI: 10.14715/cmb/2015.61.6.4.
18. Peng G, Yin Z, Li X, Wei W, Zhou B. Meta-analysis of human lung cancer microRNA expression profiling studies comparing cancer tissues with normal tissues. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2012;31(1):1-8. DOI: 10.1186/1756-9966-31-54.
19. Tanic M, Yanowsky K, Rodriguezantona C, Andrés R, Márquezrodas I, Osorio A, et al. Deregulated miRNAs in hereditary breast cancer revealed a role for miR-30c in regulating KRAS oncogene. Plos One. 2012;7(6). DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0038847.
20. Quintavalle C, Donnarumma E, Iaboni M, Roscigno G, Garofalo M, Romano G, et al. Effect of miR-21 and miR-30b/c on TRAIL-induced apoptosis in glioma cells. Oncogene. 2012;31(34):4001–8. DOI: 10.1038/onc.2012.410.
21. Ichikawa T, Sato F, Terasawa K, Tsuchiya S, Toi M, Tsujimoto G, et al. Trastuzumab produces therapeutic actions by upregulating miR-26a and miR-30b in breast cancer cells. Plos One. 2012;7(2):e31422. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0031422.