Performance of an interferon-gamma release assay in the diagnosis of tuberculous meningitis in children / Performanţa testului bazat pe eliberarea interferonului gamma în diagnosticul meningitei tuberculoase la copil
The new immunodiagnostic tests based on the Mycobacterium tuberculosis specific antigen, early secretory antigenic target 6 (ESAT-6) and culture filtrate protein 10 (CFP-10), showed promising results in the diagnosis of tuberculosis infection. However, there are only few studies in the published literature on performance tests in cerebrospinal fluid. We investigated whether a rapid diagnosis of tuberculous meningitis (TBM) could be established by interferon-γ blood and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) tests in children.
We used the QuantiFERON-TB Gold in Tube test (QFT-IT) on blood and the QuantiFERON-TB Gold test (QFT-G) on the CSF of 63 subjects with TBM (including 25 case of definite TBM and 38 cases of probable TBM) and 62 controls.
The CSF analyses indicated possible TBM in 63.4% of cases. The sensitivity of the CSF culture for Mycobacterium tuberculosis was only 39.6%. The sensitivity of the tuberculin skin test (TST) was 49.2% and the specificity was 88.6%. The estimated sensitivities of the QFT-G for the CSF and QFT-IT for the blood in culture confirmed TBM cases (gold standard) were 84% and 80%, respectively. The estimated specificities were 98.2% for the CSF and 87.9% for the blood. This study showed that the sensitivity of QFT for the CSF could be higher than TST and culture and slightly higher in CSF than in blood. The specificity of QFT-G for the CSF was higher those of the TST, but the specificity of QFT-IT is lower.
QFT-G of the CSF is a useful diagnostic marker of tuberculosis that may improve the management of TBM, but the test results must be correlated with clinical, radiological and characteristics of CSF. New researches are needed to investigate the performance of QFT-G in the CSF compared with ELISPOT and PCR
7. Richeldi L. An update on the diagnosis of tuberculosis infection. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2006;174:736-42. DOI: 10.1164/rccm.200509-1516PP
8. Lalvani A. Diagnosing tuberculosis infection in the 21st century: new tools to tackle an old enemy. Chest 2007;131:1898-906. DOI: 10.1378/chest.06-2471
9. Pai M, Riley LW, Colford JM Jr. Interferon-gamma assays in the immunodiagnosis of tuberculosis: a systematic review. Lancet Infect Dis 2004;4:761-76. DOI: 10.1016/S1473-3099(04)01206-X
10. Gooding S, Chowdhury O, Hinks T. Impact of a T cell-based blood test for tuberculosis infection on clinical decision-making in routine practice. J Infect 2007;54:e169-e174. DOI: 10.1016/j.jinf.2006.11.002
11. Liebeschuetz S, Bamber S, Ewer K, Deeks J, Pathan AA, Lalvani A. Diagnosis of tuberculosis in South African children with a T-cell-based assay: a prospective cohort study. Lancet 2004;364:2196-203. DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(04)17592-2
12. Pai M, Zwerling A, Menzies D. T-cell based assays for the diagnosis of latent tuberculosis infection: an update.
Ann Intern Med 2008;149:177-84. DOI: 10.7326/0003-4819-149-3-200808050-00241
13. Losi M, Bossink A, Codecasa L, Jafari C, Ernst M, Thijsen S, et al. Use of T-cell interferon-γ release assay for the diagnosis of tuberculous pleurisy. Eur Respir J 2007;30:1173-9. DOI: 10.1183/09031936.00067307
15. Mazurek GH, Yereb J, Lobue P, Iadermarco MF, Metchock B, Vermon A. Guidelines for using the QuantiFERON- TB Gold test for detecting Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection, United States. MMWR Recomm Rep 2005;54:49-55.
16. Yaramis A, Gurkan F, Elevli M, Soker M, Haspolar K, Kirbas G, Tas MA. Central nervous system tuberculosis in children: a review of 214 cases. Pediatrics 1998;102:E49. DOI: 10.1542/peds.102.5.e49
17. Kumar R, Singh SN, Kohli N. A diagnostic rule for tuberculous meningitis. Arch Dis Child 1999;81(3):221-4. DOI: 10.1136/adc.81.3.221
18. Youssef FG, Afifi SA, Azab AM, Wasfy MM, Abdel- Aziz KM, Parker TM, et al. Differentiation of tuberculous meningitis from acute bacterial meningitis using simple clinical and laboratory parameters. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 2006;55;275-8. DOI: 10.1016/j. diagmicrobio.2006.01.027
19. Thwaites GE, Chau TT, Stepniewska K, Phu NH, Chuong LV, Sinh DX, White NY, Parry CM, Farrar JJ.
Diagnosis of adult tuberculous meningitis by use of clinical and laboratory features. Lancet 2002;360:1287-92. DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(02)11318-3
20. Moghtaderi A, Alavi-Naini R, Izadi S, Cuevas LE.
Diagnostic risk factors to differentiate tuberculous and acute bacterial meningitis. Scand J Infect Dis 2009;41:188-94. DOI: 10.1080/00365540902721384
21. Donald PR, Schaaf HS, Schoeman F. Tuberculous meningitis and miliary tuberculosis: the Rich focus revisited. J Infect 2005;50:193-5. DOI: 10.1016/j. jinf.2004.02.010
22. Andronikou S, Smith B, Hatherhill M, Douis H, Wilmshurst J. Definitive neuroradiological diagnostic features of tuberculous meningitis in children. Pediatric radiology 2004;34:876-85. DOI: 10.1007/s00247-004-1237-1
23. Pasco PM. Diagnostic features of tuberculous meningitis: a cross-sectional study. BMC Research Notes 2012;5:49. DOI: 10.1186/1756-0500-5-49
24. Lalvani A, Millington KA. T-cell based diagnosis of childhood tuberculosis infection. Curr Opin Infect Dis 2007;20:264-71. DOI: 10.1097/ QCO.0b013e32813e3fd8
25. Banfield S, Pascoe E, Thambiran A, Siafarikas A, Burgner D. Factors associated with the performance of a blood-based interferon-gamma release assay in diagnosing tuberculosis. PLoS One 2012;7(6):e38556.
26. Critsells E, Amanatidou V, Syridou G. The effect of age on whole blood interferon-gamma release assay response among children investigated for latent tuberculosis infection. J Pediatr 2012.161(4):632-8.
27. Rose MV, Kimaro G, Nissen TN. QuantiFERON®-TB gold in-tube performance diagnosing active tuberculosis in children and adults in a high burden setting.
PLoS One 2012;7(7):e37851. DOI: 10.1371/journal. pone.0037851
28. Jafari C, Lange C. Sutton’s Law: local immunodiagnosis of tuberculosis. Infection 2008;36:510-4. DOI: 10.1007/s15010-008-8089-9
29. Abdalhamid B, Hinrichs SH, Garrett JL, O’Neil JM, Hausen-Cain Km, Ambrust AA, et al. Utilization of the QuantiFERON-TB Gold test in a two-step process with the tuberculin skin test to evaluate health care workers for latent tuberculosis. J Clin Microbiol Aug 2010;48:2955-6. DOI: 10.1128/JCM.02253-09
30. Mardani M, Tabarsi P, Mohammadtaheri Z, Chitsaz E, Farokhzad B, Hadavand F, et al. Performance of QuantiFERON- TB Gold test compared to tuberculin skin test in detecting latent tuberculosis infection in HIV-positive individuals in Iran. Annals of Thoracic Medicine Jan- Mar 2010;5(1):43-6. DOI: 10.4103/1817-1737.58959
31. Kampmann B, Whittaker E, Williams A, Walters S, Gordon A, Martinez-Alier N, et al. Interferon-γ release assays do not identify more children with active tuberculosis than the tuberculin skin test. Eur Respir J 2009;33:1374-82. DOI: 10.1183/09031936.00153408
32. Ferrara G, Losi M, Meacci M, Meccugni B, Piro R, Roversi P, et al. Routine hospital use of a commercial whole blood interferon-γ assay for tuberculosis infection.
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2005;172:631-5. DOI: 10.1164/rccm.200502-196OC
33. Kobashi Y, Sugiu T, Mouri K, Obase Y, Miyashita N, Oka M. Indeterminate results of QuantiFERON TB-2G test performed in routine clinical practice. Eur Respir J 2009;33:812-5. DOI: 10.1183/09031936.00075008
34. Quan C, Lu CZ, Qiao J, Xiao BG, Li X. Comparative evaluation of early diagnosis of tuberculous meningitis by different assays. J Clin Microbiol. 2006;44(9):316-6. DOI: 10.1128/JCM.00333-06
35. Patel VB, Singh R, Connoly C, Coovada J, Peer AK, Paraz P, et al. Cerebrospinal T-cell responses aid in the diagnosis of tuberculous meningitis in a human immunodeficiency virus and tuberculosis endemic population.
Am J Respir Crit care Med 2010; 182(4):569-77.
36. Kim SH, Cho CH, Park SJ, Lee EM, Kim MN, Lee SO, et al. Rapid diagnosis of tuberculous meningitis by T-cell-based assay on peripheral blood and cerebrospinal fluid mononuclear cells. Clin Infect Dis 2010;50(10):1349-58. DOI: 10.1086/652142
37. Connell TG, Ritz N, Paxton GA, Buttery JJP, Curtis N, Ranganathan SC. A three-way comparison of tuberculin skin testing, QuantiFERON-TB gold and T-SPOT.
TB in children. PloS One 2008;3:e2624. DOI: 10.1371/ journal.pone.0002624