Comparing the anti-inflammatory effects of Simvastatin and Rosuvastatin by measuring IL-1β, IL-6 and TNF-α levels using a murinic caecal ligation and puncture induced sepsis model / Compararea efectelor anti-inflamatoare ale Simvastatinei și Rosuvastatinei măsurând nivelele serice ale IL-1β, IL-6 si TNF-α folosind un model de sepsis la șobolan indus prin ligatură și puncție cecală
Background: Sepsis is a systemic host response to an infection which may evolve into severe sepsis and septic shock. It raises many health care related concerns around the world, carrying almost 30% mortality rates and a high financial burden. The disease is characterized by the triggering of some inflammatory pathways that are ultimately proven deleterious to the host organism. Although antibiotics, fluid administration, vasopressor therapy and infectious source control remain the recommended management strategies, emerging scientific data proposes statins as a new line of treatment. These drugs were first introduced in clinical practice for their cholesterol-lowering effect but the inhibition of HMG-CoA reductase and cholesterol biosynthetic pathway exhibits some less studied effects generally referred to as pleiotropic: anti-inflammatory, antithrombotic, immunomodulatory and antioxidant properties. Objective: To asses and compare the anti-inflammatory effect of two statins - Simvastatin and Rosuvastatin - measuring blood levels of IL-1β, IL-6 and TNFα using a previously described murinic model of sepsis. Methods: We compiled four groups (C, n=7; SEP, SV, RV, n=8). Statins were administered in two doses 18 and 3 hours before surgical intervention. Sepsis was induced using the caecal ligation and puncture technique. Blood samples were obtained by venepuncture from each subject in day 1, 4, 7 and 14 (the last samples were obtained by cardiac puncture). Complete blood count, Procalcitonin, IL-1β, IL-6 and TNF-α levels were assessed. Results: White blood cell counts differed across the groups showing a higher count for the septic but untreated group. Procalcitonin reacted in all septic groups but both statin treated groups had lower levels when compared to untreated group. IL-1β levels were higher in the Rosuvastatin treated group. IL-6 levels were more heterogeneously dispersed but higher levels were noticed in the untreated septic group. The Simvastatin treated group had higher levels compared to the Rosuvastatin treated one. TNFα levels were higher in the septic untreated group and in the Rosuvastatin treated one. For the Simvastatin treated subjects, the level of TNFα was similar with the control group. Conclusion: We concluded that both drugs showed anti-inflammatory effects on the murinic CLP-induced sepsis model. Between the two, Simvastatin had greater impact by lowering blood levels of established pro-inflammatory markers.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Dellinger RP Levy MM Rhodes A Annane D Gerlach H Opal SM et al. Surviving sepsis campaign: international guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock: 2012. Crit Care Med. 2013 Feb;41(2):580-637. DOI: 10.1097/CCM.0b013e31827e83af
2. Angus DC Linde-Zwirble WT Lidicker J Clermont G Carcillo J Pinsky MR. Epidemiology of severe sepsis in the United States: analysis of incidence outcome and associated costs of care. Crit Care Med. 2001 Jul;29(7):1303-10. DOI: 10.1097/00003246-200107000-00002
3. Kruger P Venkatesh B. Are There any Benefits from Statin Treatment for the Septic Patient? Curr Athero scler Rep. 2014 Jan;16(1):378. DOI: 10.1007/s11883-013-0378-9
4. Terblanche M Almog Y Rosenson R. Statins and sepsis: multiple modifications at multiple levels. Lancet Infect Dis. 2007;7(May):358-68. DOI: 10.1016/ S1473-3099(07)70111-1
5. Liao J Laufs U. Pleiotropic effects of statins. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol. 2005 Jan;45:89-118. DOI: 10.1146/annurev.pharmtox.45.120403.095748
6. Radigan KA Urich D Misharin A V Chiarella SE Soberanes S Gonzalez A et al. The effect of rosuvastatin in a murine model of influenza A infection. PLoS One. 2012 Jan;7(4):1-10. DOI: 10.1371/journal. pone.0035788
7. Araújo-Filho I Jácome DT Rêgo ACM Azevedo IM Egito EST Medeiros AC. Effect of the simvastatin in abdominal sepsis of diabetic rats. [Efeito da sinvastatina na sepse abdominal de ratos diabéticos]. Rev Col Bras Cir. 2010 Feb;37(1):39-44. DOI: 10.1590/S0100-69912010000100009
8. Almeida JL Sampietre SN Mendonça Coelho AM Trindade Molan NA Machado MCC Monteiro da Cunha JE et al. Statin pretreatment in experimental acute pancreatitis. J Pancreas. 2008 Jan;9(4):431-9.
9. Alvarez de Sotomayor M Vega S Mingorance C Marhuenda E Herrera MD. Effects of HMG-CoA reductase inhibition by simvastatin on vascular dysfunction induced by lipopolysaccharide in rats. Pharmacology. 2008 Jan;82(2):89-96. DOI: 10.1159/000135629
10. Hinz J Gehoff P Schotola H Hosseini MT Didilis VN Jebran AF et al. Hemodynamic effects of peri-operative statin therapy in on-pump cardiac surgery patients. J Cardiothorac Surg. 2012 Jan;7:39. DOI: 10.1186/1749-8090-7-39
11. Al Harbi SA Tamim HM Arabi YM. Association between statin therapy and outcomes in critically ill patients: a nested cohort study. BMC Clin Pharmacol. 2011;11(12):1-7.
12. Christensen S Thomsen RW Johansen MB Pedersen L Jensen R Larsen KM et al. Preadmission statin use and one-year mortality among patients in intensive care - a cohort study. Crit Care. 2010 Jan;14(2):R29. DOI: 10.1186/cc8902
13. Khan A Yeung D Wyatt B Rafai T Byant J Coates A et al. Effects of statins on postoperative sepsis systemic inflammatory response syndrome and mortality after colorectal surgery. Crit Care. 2009;13(Suppl 4):P47. DOI: 10.1186/cc8103
14. Thomsen RW Hundborg HH Johnsen SP Pedersen L Sørensen HT Schønheyder HC et al. Statin use and mortality within 180 days after bacteremia: a population-based cohort study. Crit Care Med. 2006 Apr;34(4):1080-6. DOI: 10.1097/01. CCM.0000207345.92928.E4
15. McAuley DF Laffey JG O’Kane CM Cross M Perkins GD Murphy L et al. Hydroxymethylglutaryl-CoA reductase inhibition with simvastatin in acute lung injury to reduce pulmonary dysfunction (HARP-2) trial: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2012 Jan;13(1):170. DOI: 10.1186/1745-6215-13-170
16. Novack V Eisinger M Frenkel A Terblanche M Adhikari NKJ Douvdevani A et al. The effects of statin therapy on inflammatory cytokines in patients with bacterial infections: a randomized double-blind placebo controlled clinical trial. Intensive Care Med. 2009 Jul;35(7):1255-60. DOI: 10.1007/s00134-009-1429-0
17. Kruger PS Harward ML Jones M a Joyce CJ Kostner KM Roberts MS et al. Continuation of statin therapy in patients with presumed infection: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011 Mar 15;183(6):774-81. DOI: 10.1164/rccm. 201006-0955OC
18. Patel JM Snaith C Thickett DR Linhartova L Melody T Hawkey P et al. Randomized double-blind placebo- controlled trial of 40 mg/day of atorvastatin in reducing the severity of sepsis in ward patients (ASEPSIS Trial). Crit Care. 2012 Dec 11;16(6):R231. DOI: 10.1186/cc11895
19. Kruger P Bailey M Bellomo R Cooper DJ Harward M Higgins A et al. A multicenter randomized trial of atorvastatin therapy in intensive care patients with severe sepsis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013 Apr;187(7):743-50. DOI: 10.1164/rccm. 201209-1718OC
20. Craig TR Duffy MJ Shyamsundar M McDowell C O’Kane CM Elborn JS et al. A randomized clinical trial of hydroxymethylglutaryl- coenzyme a reductase inhibition for acute lung injury (The HARP Study). Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011 Mar 1;183(5):620-6. DOI: 10.1164/rccm.201003-0423OC
21. Woerndle RH Maxwell DL. Statins and sepsis: good bullet disappearing target. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2008 Sep;108(9):486-90.
22. O’Kane C. Statins and Sepsis: Potential Benefit but More Unanswered Questions. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013;187:672-5. DOI: 10.1164/rccm. 201212-2305ED
23. JR JCMS. Can statins improve outcome in colorectal surgery? Part I. J Coloproctology (Rio Janeiro). 2012;334-8.
24. Gao F Linhartova L Johnston AM Thickett DR. Statins and sepsis. Br J Anaesth. 2008 Mar 1;100(3):288-98. DOI: 10.1093/bja/aem406
25. Toscano MG Ganea D Gamero AM. Cecal ligation puncture procedure. J Vis Exp. 2011 Jan;(51):1-5.
26. Hubbard WJ Choudhry M Schwacha MG Kerby JD Rue LW Bland KI et al. Cecal ligation and puncture. Shock. 2005 Dec;24 Suppl 1:52-7. DOI: 10.1097/01. shk.0000191414.94461.7e
27. Wichterman KA Baue AE Chaudry IH. Sepsis and septic shock--a review of laboratory models and a proposal. J Surg Res. 1980 Aug;29(2):189-201. DOI: 10.1016/0022-4804(80)90037-2
28. Jekarl DW Lee S-Y Lee J Park Y-J Kim Y Park JH et al. Procalcitonin as a diagnostic marker and IL-6 as a prognostic marker for sepsis. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2013 Feb 4;75(4):342-7. DOI: 10.1016/j.diagmicrobio. 2012.12.011
29. Lee H. Procalcitonin as a biomarker of infectious diseases. Korean J Intern Med. 2013 May;28(3):285-91. DOI: 10.3904/kjim.2013.28.3.285
31. European Union. Directive 2010/63/EU Of The European Parliament And Of The Council of 22 September 2010 on the protection of animals used for scientific purposes. Off J Eur Union. 2010;33-79.
32. University of California. Guidelines for Anesthesia and Analgesia in Laboratory Animals. 2012. p. 1-5.
33. Merx MW Liehn E a Janssens U Lütticken R Schrader J Hanrath P et al. HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor simvastatin profoundly improves survival in a murine model of sepsis. Circulation. 2004 Jun 1;109(21):2560 DOI:10.1161/01.CIR.0000129774.09737.5B
34. French E Vandewoude S Granowski J Maul D. Assessment of pain in laboratory animals. Contemp Top. 2000;39(85).
35. Leach M. Pain assessment in laboratory animals using behaviour and facial expressions. 2011.
36. Sotocinal SG Sorge RE Zaloum A Tuttle AH Martin LJ Wieskopf JS et al. The Rat Grimace Scale: a partially automated method for quantifying pain in the laboratory rat via facial expressions. Mol Pain. 2011 Jan;7(1):55. DOI: 10.1186/1744-8069-7-55
37. Giusti-Paiva A Martinez MR Felix JVC da Rocha MJA Carnio EC Elias LLK et al. Simvastatin decreases nitric oxide overproduction and reverts the impaired vascular responsiveness induced by endotoxic shock in rats. Shock. 2004 Mar;2 (3):271-5. DOI: 10.1097/10. shk.0000115756.74059.ce
38. Leary S Underwood W Anthony R Cartner S. AVMA Guidelines for the Euthanasia of Animals: 2013 Edition [Internet]. 2013.
39. Hernandez TL Capell WH Wolfe P Gerard LA Eckel RH. Time course of C-reactive protein reduction with simvastatin therapy in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Am J Cardiol. 2006 Dec 15;98(12):1656-9. DOI: 10.1016/j.amjcard.2006.07.047
40. Plenge JK Hernandez TL Weil KM Poirier P Grunwald GK Marcovina SM et al. Simvastatin lowers C-reactive protein within 14 days: an effect independent of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol reduction. Circulation. 2002 Oct 17;106(12):1447-52. DOI: 10.1161/01.CIR.0000029743.68247.31
41. Yende S Milbrandt E Kellum J. Understanding the potential role of statins in pneumonia and sepsis. Crit Care Med. 2011;39(8):1871-8. DOI: 10.1097/ CCM.0b013e31821b8290